Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England Vs Belarus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

i love to way this was posted 2 mins after belarus took the lead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Missed the game, should Kutuzov have put the ball out when Green collapsed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    no,i would have done the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

county wrote:

BBc text feed is a little slow...this is what was on screen when i made this post

63 mins: News filters through that Norwich keeper Robert Green has ruptured his groin. That will surely rule him out of the World Cup, and put Scott Carson in the squad for Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Doesn't look good for Green, very harsh just before a major tournament!

England were medicore, looked very ordinary...bright light was definitely Lennon, his full back couldn't cope....great option for us to bring on in last 20!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Ah well they have the excuse that it was the 'B' team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

They don't need an excuse, it was the B team.
    Infact the only players there who will be in the first team definally are Cole and Cole and Owen.
    Two of them only played to get back to fitness.

This has absolutely no bearing on the world cup chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Yes but they lost PHB.

I also know it hasnt nothing to do with world cup chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Willstev wrote:
    Ah well they have the excuse that it was the 'B' team.

ah yeah, and we can use it in the WC istelf too....i mean thats all the English do don't they?

In a more serious point, does Hargreaves playing at right back not worry anyone? i just hope that it would be Carragher to take Nevilles place if he gets injured!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

The second Belarus goal was lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why was this down as a B international? What was the point?It's not like Sven plays his proper teams in friendlies anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

county wrote:
    Lol, yeah when I saw the thread I was thinking there was nobody on here talking about the match for the buildup yesterday :)
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    No! Not a head injury for starters. Also as far as they were concerned the keeper just mi**** it - you have to take that opportunity and not go thinking "is he alright?".
    Stekelly wrote:
    Why was this down as a B international? What was the point?It's not like Sven plays his proper teams in friendlies anyway.
    Exactly - most of the players were either in the squad or the fringes.

Happy if this gives Carson a chance to get into the world cup - the experience would be great for him. Obviously it's sad that it'd be at someone elses expense though but I still find it difficult to believe Green miskicked the ball on a kickout - he didn't slip that I noticed, nobody around him and the ball didn't move. He basicly just topped it.

(Also he's been injured most of the season afaik so Carson should have always had the nod regardless for my money).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

p.pete

Green miskicked the ball because the ankle went from under him if you saw the angle behind the goal showing him kick the ball out. If you think he's been injured most of the season think again, he missed the last 4 games due to resting his ankle for the World Cup other than that he didnt miss a game. Also Carson is not as good as Green

kensutz wrote:
    p.pete

Green miskicked the ball because the ankle went from under him if you saw the angle behind the goal showing him kick the ball out. If you think he's been injured most of the season think again, he missed the last 4 games due to resting his ankle for the World Cup other than that he didnt miss a game.
    cheers :) I actually didn't realise the extent of his injuries this season - I heard what I said elsewhere and then didn't check my facts - I won't check what you're saying either if it makes you feel better.
    kensutz wrote:
    Also Carson is not as good as Green
    Says who? Kirkland's possibly better then the two of them but he's far too inury prone - if Green has an achilles ankle when it counts to get into the squad then he's no use to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

No need to check I'm a season ticket holder with Norwich and seen him week in week out play

kensutz wrote:
    I'm a season ticket holder with Norwich
    Definitely better then Carson so, sorry for your troubles :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

actually, i thought for the first half engladn looked good, solid.

i hope to go gary neville doesnt get injured, becuase hargreaves just isnt a right back. he has a lovely cross, but my god, some of his passes on the ground went wayward. couple of passes straight the the opposition.

i thought campbell was pretty solid, but did look like he needed match practise. carragher was quiet but also solid. ashley cole showed he had quality, but again, was missing match fitness. just didnt connect withthe players around him sometimes, but going forward he was great.

i thought downing was quiet as well. i was expecting much more of him. owne lacks match fitness as well, but showed why he was in the squad. the lad is just a top player. crouch disappointed me yet again. he has some little touches, but then a lot of his passing was awful and he just shoose the wrong passes too often. but, if you want someone to win the ball in the air, then hes the man.

i thought before joe cole came on that carrick was fabulous. again and again his passing was awesome, and he is just brilliant in the holidng role. JC came on he dropped and completely disrupted the whole formation. i actually thought carrick had come off becuase cole just kept coming back to get the ball instead of carrick distributing from the back. and it was only then that belerus actually started to get a foothold in midfield.

i thought jenas played well, but as with spurs, he tends to come to the ball when carrick has it, when he should be moving away, but when he is on the ball, i think hes a great player. he had one or two great runs, and his passing is always improving. lennon was inspirational. i think im in love with his football. full of confidence, and little dinks and nudges, he plays beautifully. and his acceleration and pace is awesome. i get goosebumps watching him, he is a real winger.

was impressed with wallcott. certainly wasnt fazed. glad he didnt score, becuase he would never be able to live with the hype! some of his play was naive, and some of his passing was awful tbh, but for a lad who has never played premier league football i think he is going to be fantastic. i konw arsenal are going to make him into something special.

defoe had only 10 minutes, and again, he just doesnt do it for me anymore. he doesnt take enough part inthe game. he needs to be given space to run at defences and shoot. but when you punt the ball into the box for the last 10 minutes, hes not going to get anything. but then again, he has done nothing for spurs so many times and pop up with a goal out of nothing. an enigma, just not bloody consistant for my liking.

rob green was awful
    he was on for 7 minutes, and he spilled an easy ball for a corner and manage to rule himself out of the world cup. just wouldnt instill confidence into any defence to be honest.

dawson was his usual self, and i certainly wouldnt fault him for the second goal. it was very well taken. it was very very well taken. dawson just keeps going up in my estimation.

cant remember who else came on.

was interesting with 10 to go that sven took off downing and crouch and puton defoe and dawson. im not sure what the formation turned into becuase Jcole dropped so deep. was it 5-3-2 or did one of the defenders move up into midfield.

anyway, i thought it was a useful excersize. was even entertaining. but it was a friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Stekelly wrote:

Until quite recently, the B international served a useful purpose because it gave fringe players a run out and helped with preperation for major tournaments without the first XI playing too many games.

Of course, with Sven in place and the clubs exerting more influence over who gets picked and when, senior friendlies have become totally meaningless, with wholesale changes at half time and senior players rested.

IMO, friendlies should be replaced by B internationals wherever possible, giving the likes of Lennon, Walcott, Downing, Dawson, and others a chance to play for their country, reserving the big guns for competitive ties and the odd glamour friendly. Causes less aggro with the clubs, and makes the match itself more entertaining.

I though Lennon was the star last night, don't be surprised to see him make an appearance in the group stages, or as p_larkin said, as an impact sub.

i hope to go gary neville doesnt get injured, becuase hargreaves just isnt a right back. he has a lovely cross, but my god, some of his passes on the ground went wayward. couple of passes straight the the opposition.

Surely Carra would be the first choice rerplacement should Neville get injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Good God Spurs have themselves a gem in Aaron Lennon. He was awesome. He's like Ronaldo, just with more of an end product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

bad news for green, but i am delighted for carson.
    in the ten games he played for sheffield wednesday he changed their season.
    so wednesday do get someone going to the world cup! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Stekelly wrote:
    Surely Carra would be the first choice rerplacement should Neville get injured?

my mother would be a better replacement at right back if neville got injured after last nights performance!

i have never understood the hargreaves thing. i mean, you never hear of him for 2 seasons, and then he appears in the squad for major tournaments.
    im sure hes very solid for bayern, but come on. hes never seemed that special to me, and he hasnt overly impressed me when ive seen him play.

hes like the special forces of football. except he doesnt dress up in black. or shoot people. or crash through windows.
    ok, so hes not the special forces of football, but he just never seems to be noticed at all until he comes on a sabstitute at some stage. very bizarre. maybe i should follow the bundesliga more and id see his name more?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Any chance of a link to Belarus first goal? It sounds quite....well funny to be honest.

im sure hes very solid for bayern
    2003/04 26 League appearances
    2004/05 20 League appearances
    2005/06 14 League appearances (taken from soccernet)

Doesn't seem to me like he's even all that much use to Bayern.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

hargraves biggest problem is i dont think anyone knows his best position, he's very much a utility player. good player to bring to a world cup, given his versitility

el rabitos wrote:
    hargraves biggest problem is i dont think anyone knows his best position, he's very much a utility player. good player to bring to a world cup, given his versitility

He doesnt have a best position. The word journeyman was created for him. He's just another Eddie McGoldrick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

shudders! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Any chance of a link to Belarus first goal? It sounds quite....well funny to be honest.

Don't really see anything funny about it myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgG09G6U_FI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

ah its funny cuz so weird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

What about Theo Walcott? They had to resort to the sandwich technique to stop him bursting through the middle.

He's like Speedy Gonzales, that lad, and I think we'll see a lot of the Walcott Sandwich in the World Cup - tender young beef trapped between two big ugly lumps of continental bread - available in all good delicatessans.

A comment by Derek Robson of the BBC after the game

made me giggle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Stekelly wrote:
    according to Football365, it was because Arsenal have to pay Southampton a large amount (£2million) for Walcott being an international, so David Dein changed it to a B international. Don't know how true this is though as Walcott will surely play many internationals in the future, maybe it is linked to when he plays his first international. Anyone know when it was announced that this was to be a B game, ie was it before Walcott was in the squad? Because if it was after that you would have to wonder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

dcarroll wrote:
    according to Football365, it was because Arsenal have to pay Southampton a large amount (£2million) for Walcott being an international, so David Dein changed it to a B international. Don't know how true this is though as Walcott will surely play many internationals in the future, maybe it is linked to when he plays his first international. Anyone know when it was announced that this was to be a B game, ie was it before Walcott was in the squad? Because if it was after that you would have to wonder

Another pearl in the David Dein = 666 conspiracy.

England planning B international against Belarus (18 March 2006)

B international confirmed for Reading (6 April 2006)

England squad announced (8 May 2006)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Myabe sven told David Dein back in March that he would be picking Theo walcott?! :rolleyes:

I dont know where people come up with such ****e, and i dont believe people actually fall for said ****e.

Advertisement