Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats next for metal

• 25-05-2006 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

hey just a question.. if everyones sick of these new "insert cool word here"-core metal bands then where the hell can metal go next? when new bands come out these days everyone just goes "o jesus not another metalcore band"... what can new bands possibly change to? i dunno i probably just talkin through my ass

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

What's next for metal? The Eurovision, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

I think we're definitly running out of things to do, not just in metal but in all music. Music is not an endless source, at one stage we WILL stop being able to come up with anything new, and its possible that that time is fast approaching, and what will we do then but start going back to older styles, which we have been doing recently.

Maybe we al need to get together and invent a new instrument or something. Quick! call a conference of all the musicians in the world so we may devise such an instrument!!

Failing that we mix some(more) genres together, JazzMetal anyone? or perhaps some TechnoRock...?

Actually, TechnoRock sounds pretty catchy...who's up for some of that!?

Edit: actually i suppose Robot Rock by Daft Punk might be counted as TechnoRock...damn, thought i had something there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

What's next for metal? The Eurovision, obviously.
    Most exelent post my good man, anyway next up whats next for metal, i think chimaira answered that sven, Were going back to the old.Trivium are doing it at the moment(in a gay way but still there doing it).Look at bands like shadows fall, lamb of god and god forbid there our future man.If you wanna know the future of metal, Its chaos theory man lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

JazzMetal anyone?
    in an Atheist vein, or more like a heavier Mr Bungle? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Yea I think one thing we're going to see is the newer metalcore bands tighten up their sounds and go back to their roots. Trivium's new album should be a good indicator of this and (although I hate to say it) if thats as commercially successful as Ascendancy them it will probably open the floodgates for alot of other bands to do it. This is of course, on top of the newer bands coming out with a similar sound...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Marketed bands getting heavier, faking more and more elements of talented bands. Eventually society will descend into "Goth Idol" and "You're a Star (shining above the frost bitten forest into which the dark ones come, spilling the blood of the young, splitting the skulls of the unrighteous and burning the impure of Judeo-Christian origin while libating the altar of Satan)".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

well im hoping that the new slayer album and new metallica album (which im hoping will be like their earlier stuff) will set the "trend" for new metal.. but then again, the trend is dead i dunno we'll see... but i think new bands are pretty muched ****ed for a while until something new comes along

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

**** trends and scenes. There's only two types of bands: good bands, bad bands and great bands. There are three types of bands: good bands, bad bands, great bands and mediocre bands. There are four, FOUR! types of band...

tt16.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Steoob wrote:
    the trend is dead

Phil said that years ago.....get with the times:D :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

What scares me is that people are oblivious to what's happened already:
    Failing that we mix some(more) genres together, JazzMetal anyone?

Seriously though, good bands just seem to appear. Not that many bands are foretold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Cmon though everyone, Look at bands like, god forbid, devil driver, lamb of god, shadows fall, Alter bridge,Biomechanical, Children of bodom, chimaira, killswitch engage, slipknot etc. I mean theres loadsa great bands currently out there loads of em new bands that are reall the future, I.e that theyl be the next metallica, megadeth etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I wonder whether that's important though. DOes metal really need a huge stage? I kinda like that it's played in cramped little venues to tiny audiences and noone really hears about it. While I acknowlege the total failure of marketing there, it gives it a kick. :)

Patricide wrote:
    Cmon though everyone, Look at bands like, god forbid, devil driver, lamb of god, shadows fall, Alter bridge,Biomechanical, Children of bodom, chimaira, killswitch engage, slipknot etc. I mean theres loadsa great bands currently out there loads of em new bands that are reall the future, I.e that theyl be the next metallica, megadeth etc.
    unfortunately, you may be right. about the future of metal, not about those bands being good. they all suck apart from Bodom, and some LoG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

No, these are the bands of now and then, not later. These are the bands that are making everyone demand change, or wonder if there will be change, because 6 or 7 of those bands you just mentioned may as well be the same band. If you gave them to an old schooler and removed all labels and played each one, he probably wouldn't be able to tell you which is which. They are what's making the genre stagnant, as they're either ripping out old ideas and patching them together to form some mutant numetallosuperfragilisticore "how can you not like us we have irn mayden rivvs and we shouty muchy play hardcore brakedewns GRRRR AH H8 UUU but OMG I LUV U SOOO MUCH," or they're copying someone already playing that, making them genericore. It's schizophrenic metal (definite split personality disorder). COB rule though (except for that last album, only liked 3 or 4 tracks), Biomechanical are enjoyable too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It'll be ok, don't worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

No, these are the bands of now and then, not later. These are the bands that are making everyone demand change, or wonder if there will be change, because 6 or 7 of those bands you just mentioned may as well be the same band. If you gave them to an old schooler and removed all labels and played each one, he probably wouldn't be able to tell you which is which. They are what's making the genre stagnant, as they're either ripping out old ideas and patching them together to form some mutant numetallosuperfragilisticore "how can you not like us we have irn mayden rivvs and we shouty muchy play hardcore brakedewns GRRRR AH H8 UUU but OMG I LUV U SOOO MUCH," or they're copying someone already playing that, making them genericore. It's schizophrenic metal (definite split personality disorder). COB rule though (except for that last album, only liked 3 or 4 tracks), Biomechanical are enjoyable too :D
    that post is gospel, its exactly how i feel especially
    because 6 or 7 of those bands you just mentioned may as well be the same band.
    im just hoping some new fresh band might come along and change the face of modern metal...will it be my band? who knows :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

What scares me is that people are oblivious to what's happened already

Are you saying there's a JazzMetal already? If so why does it scare you that I knew not of it, am I expected to know of absolutly everything thats going on in the world of music or something?!?! Im sorry for not being the source of all knowledge that people obviously require everybody else to be these days.

And also where is this so called JazzMetal so that I may listen to it and judge it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

There's no shock that you have to wade through lots of **** before you find the good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

John2 wrote:
    **** trends and scenes. There's only two types of bands: good bands, bad bands and great bands. There are three types of bands: good bands, bad bands, great bands and mediocre bands. There are four, FOUR! types of band...

That sums it up nicely :p

There is still room for innovation, I feel. Mastodon don't really sound like anyone else. Still the likes of Atheist and Cynic haven't been equalled. Watchtower still only sound like Watchtower 20 years on. Sleep's Dopesmoker is as unique now as it was when it was recorded. The new Sepultura album has a lot of interesting new angles to it, but sadly it will go largely ignored because most people are fixated by who is in the band rather than what music the band continues to put out. Lair Of The Minatuar and The Abominable Iron Sloth will sell a fraction of what the latest Slayer-going-through-the-motions cd will sell. The extremes are there to be pushed, whether the populus follows and supports it is the crux. The problem is most people continue to support the substandard output of the legends of the genre, which is fair enough, but it doesn't fuel originality or innovation, which is what used to be so great about Metal. There are great bands you've never heard of and there are mediocre albums by established acts which sell millions. The music is out there, you're just going to have to find it yourself because the industry doen't care about albums that sell lest than 50,000 copies (most albums released). I thought most of the Metal through the late 90's sucked balls. People are getting back into playing instruments again, which excites me. After years of decay (d'ya see what I did there ;) ) there are finally some new bands which interest and excite me. I think Metal is healthier than it has been for a long time. Hopefully the people who discover Metal now will champion the new bands rather than just feed the bloated egos of the legends of the genre. There is a great history in this form of music but if people remain focused on what has gone before (re-unions with old singers in particular) the genre will grow stale and die. Support the support band :)

Doctor J wrote:
    Support the support band :)

Good slogan.

• Advertisement

Are you saying there's a JazzMetal already? If so why does it scare you that I knew not of it, am I expected to know of absolutly everything thats going on in the world of music or something?!?! Im sorry for not being the source of all knowledge that people obviously require everybody else to be these days.

And also where is this so called JazzMetal so that I may listen to it and judge it?
    like i said earlier, Atheist are quite jazzy. try Focus by Cynic as well. you could also try Mr Bungle & Dog Fashion Disco, tho the metal side of their music leans more towards nu-metal than true metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

For fans of jazz metal a la Cynic and Atheist, might I suggest Continuo Renacer. A+ instrumental band. For more jazz metal, try Coprofago as well (they don't meld their jazz and metal as seamlessly as Cynic or Continuo Renacer, but they do what they do well). Dysrhythmia might be a good band to check out too. If you want some original sounding death metal, try Lykathea Aflame. It's all out there, you just have to know where to look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Yea I am especially liking the renewed interest in tech and jazz metal that the old reliables Cynic and Atheist laid down the groundwork for. There is only so far you can go with the plethora of similar riffs and double bass kicks used by Lamb of God etc. bands.

Special mention to the following in relation to jazz/tech metal:
    Canvas Solaris
    Gorgone
    Fredrik Thordendal (the band) (guitarist from meshuggah is in it)
    Ephel Duath
    Alarum (who will be supporting at the obituary gig in june... support this support!)
    Behold...the Arctopus (haven't released an album yet but the EPs are just taking the piss in terms of technicality)

There is however a fine line between what is technical/math/jazzy and what is impressive and interesting. I find Behold...the Arctopus for example, very hard to listen to and enjoy for prolonged length of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

What's next for metal?

Psykadelik Funktapus are what's next for metal! A band that can only fit in the elusive new genre of Alternative Progressive Power Funk Metal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Jazzmetal eh, like early Slipknot. Nothing like a jazz solo in the middle of a metal song. Could not stop laughing at those songs.

Mmm, power funk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Jazzmetal eh, like early Slipknot. Nothing like a jazz solo in the middle of a metal song. Could not stop laughing at those songs.

Mmm, power funk.
    Mate Feed Kill Repeat was just an insanely random album, definately the best Slipknot released imo, but it cant be called jazz metal for randomly going into a lounge'esque jazz musical in the middle of a song, but yea, that album was pretty damn funny in places.

The small scale metal genre's dont need to be enjoyed by millions of people to be enjoyed by you, nothing like a bit of Sludge metal, folk metal, doom metal, symphonic metal, or a million and one genres only played by a handful of bands. There seem to be a good few bands trying to w*nk their way to fame (DragonForce), but after the likes of the 'Onset to Putrification' album by Necrophagist, all other technical metal just pales by comparison, the thing is not many people will likely ever heard of Necrophagist. (anyone who hasnt, buy onset to putrification, wow, just, wow technical death metal which is not only has insane lead play, but also excellent rythem)

that album is ****ing great. Muhammed is a god.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Pugsley wrote:
    Mate Feed Kill Repeat was just an insanely random album, definately the best Slipknot released imo, but it cant be called jazz metal for randomly going into a lounge'esque jazz musical in the middle of a song, but yea, that album was pretty damn funny in places.
    I can call it jazmetal if I wish. I hear metal, I hear jazz, I hear laughter, jazz metal!

Arucard wrote:
    that album is ****ing great. Muhammed is a god.

I thought he was a prophet?

• Advertisement

im actually gonna start sayin that instead now :p

Advertisement