Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inishowen Moved!

Options
  • 26-05-2006 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Can you believe this:
    A Government publication distributed throughout the 10 newest countries of the EU includes a map depicting the Inishowen Peninsula as part of the North.

Inishowen, nestled between Lough Swilly and Lough Foyle, is roughly the size of Co Louth and with an estimated 30,000 residents, it is more populated than Co Leitrim.

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1619755&issue_id=14096&eid=215411

Just shows how much them down there in Dublin know about Donegal! And this is the second time this has happened.

Do you think this shows how little the rest of the country knows about Donegal, and if our politicans should start complaining about this lack of recognision?

We're the second largest county in Ireland, we have the most northernly point in Ireland (NI or ROI). The second longest river enters the ocean in Donegal ... and some folk in Dublin think Inishowen is in Derry!

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

I agree, though I don't believe this is an ignorance about Donegal specifically, this is a more fundamental lack of basic, basic knowledge about our country, and a slipshod, amateurish approach to gettin things right. For this to happen there are multiple lazy or incompetent people not doing their job properly.

Reminds me of the St. Patrick's Day postcard issue: http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/ireland/2006/0315/1306664481HM8PADDY_SDAYCARD.html

BTW, Galway is Ireland's second largest county, Mayo is next and Donegal is fourth. But maybe that's excluding Inishowen...

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

0lordy wrote:
    BTW, Galway is Ireland's second largest county, Mayo is next and Donegal is fourth. But maybe that's excluding Inishowen...

From what I remember from National School I was thinking Donegal was 3rd or 4th largest. But, googling around Donegal was listed as the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th biggest county in Ireland, so I just picked the biggest figure! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

was in Buncrana earlier today, I seen a call centre take a delivery marked for
    Buncrana, Londonderry, Co Derry. Seems no-one told us that donegal has changed its name too!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

0lordy wrote:
    BTW, Galway is Ireland's second largest county, Mayo is next and Donegal is fourth.
    From http://www.statoids.com/uie.html

County Sq Km.
    Cork 7,460
    Galway 5,940
    Mayo 5,398
    Donegal 4,831
    Kerry 4,701
    Tipperary 4,255
    Clare 3,188
    Limerick 2,686
    Roscommon 2,463
    Wexford 2,351
    Meath 2,336
    Kilkenny 2,062
    Wicklow 2,025
    Offaly 1,998
    Cavan 1,891
    Waterford 1,838
    Sligo 1,796
    Westmeath 1,763
    Laoighis 1,720
    Kildare 1,694
    Leitrim 1,525
    Monaghan 1,291
    Longford 1,044
    Dublin 922
    Carlow 896
    Louth 823

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

it may b 4th in area but def higher in the charts for the craic!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

it may b 4th in area but def higher in the charts for the craic!:D
    Here, here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 geekGirl

I'm from Buncrana, living in Dublin and I often meet a lot of Dubs who think Donegal is part of Northen Ireland. The amount of people who ask me if I did A-levels instead of the leaving cert boggles me. A cival servent actually asked me that!! shocking !!

I find that non-Irish people are actually better at this as they all seem to know that Donegal is in the republic.

I think it must be worse for people from the Midlands though. They always complain that no-one knows where they are from. Carlow, Laois and that get it a lot. At least we are an interesting county and we don't take ourselves too seriously either.

gg

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

geekGirl wrote:
    I often meet a lot of Dubs who think Donegal is part of Northen Ireland.
    Thats why they're called Jackeens. Its jackasses by right but they couldnt spell anything with more than 8 letters so they changed it to jackeens :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

There was a fellow in a pub a few years ago in his 50's who said that there were no counties in ulster that were not part of norn iron. The we asked him what province Donegal, Mon and Cavan were part of. Idiot. He finally conceeded as everyone in the pub said he was wrong but you could see in his face he still thought he was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

geekGirl wrote:
    I'm from Buncrana, living in Dublin and I often meet a lot of Dubs who think Donegal is part of Northen Ireland.

I'm from Moville, living in Dublin, and compared to some of the accents here I think I sound shockingly norn-irish :( Only realized that when I heard my own voice on the radio!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I wouldn't be suprised by something like that. I find that people in Dublin and the surrounding area have a shockingly poor knowledge of the country's geography. Some examples: I've delivered stuff to Ballinrobe in south Mayo which came to Sligo Airport instead of Galway. Ballinrobe is roughly twice as far from Sligo as it is from Galway. Likewise, I've delivered stuff to Kincaslagh that came to Sligo airport (80 miles away?) when Donegal Airport was about 2 miles away. My father has frequently made business calls in Monaghan because the division of the company he works for in Dublin a. Didn't know how to get to the place b. Thought Sligo was closer to Monaghan than Dublin.
    Even though we, in the north west might not know our way around Cork or Waterford that well, I also think some of the more southerly counties are very uninformed about the top half of the country also. I suppose the west and north are really the forgotten regions of Ireland, both economically and socially.

Advertisement