Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Might have made a mistake!!!!

Options
  • 26-05-2006 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Em was shootng yesterday in a friends farm and had the pleasure of droppin two rabbits with his lanber o/u. Trouble is i fell in love with the o/u and realised just three weeks after buying a beretta AL391 its a bit much for my needs(pic below).

Im now thinking of trading in my gun and getting a nice o/u and the deposit on a .22wmr/.17hmr rifle(not sure which yet).

I got the gun for €1000 second hand , however its now gona be third hand and i dont think ill get a fair price for it even if i only have it three weeks, havnt even ran 100 rnds through it yet!!!

Thing is i dont think it suits my needs, i find an o/u would best suit my needs. I shall just chalk it up to experience as i dont regret buyin the Beretta, its a fantastic gun, just think an o/u would be better for me!!!

Now for the main question, do i have to apply for a whole new licence for a different shotgun or can i just swap the make/serial no. etc
    OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TELL ME I CAN!! If i have to apply for a new licence ill make do!

If anyone is interested in buying the Beretta you can PM me , ill give you all the details, and ill make arrangements with a licenced firearms dealer as per rules of this forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭GospelGroupie

Yes, you need to apply to ammend your Gun Licence. Your original application would have been on a PC20 form, to ammend you must fill out the PC21 form. Both are yellow and available at your local friendly Garda Station.

Now, as far as I remember, you have to have your licence sorted before you actually take posession of your new gun.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

So do i still hold a licence but am changing the details serial no. make etc?, i.e. do i have to go get farmers names and that ****e again or is it a simple change of the licence????

Id like to have the o/u within a week of selling trading in my beretta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

newby.204 wrote:

Thing is i dont think it suits my needs, i find an o/u would best suit my needs. I shall just chalk it up to experience as i dont regret buyin the Beretta, its a fantastic gun, just think an o/u would be better for me

As a newby to sport shooting why do you now so suddenly think that the Beretta doesnt suit your needs?
    What was so remarkable about this o/u that you have to get rid of the semi?
    There is really nothing in shooting terms that the o/u can do that the semi cant do therefore I cant understand the logic for the suden change after firing a couple of shots from another gun.

Before you run off buying rifles of caliber unknown on another whim, maybe take a little time out to actually see what guns are available out there and are most suited to your needs. Internet chat forums are fine to an extent but please get out there and talk to people in the trade and on shooting grounds who will do their best to get the most suitable equipment for your needs.

I appreciate that you are new and enthuasiastic about the sport but for your own sake , slow down.
    If not, you will end up with (more) unsuitable gear, a big hole in your wallet, frustrated at why each gun isn't what you expected it to be and have a local firearms officer scratching his head at what you are up to.

Maybe this weekend take time out to visit a few ranges to see what guns are out there and their relevant usages, chat with shooters and learn some first hand knowledge. You know the old saying, Buy in haste and you will regret it later.
    Shotguns would be my forte, P.M. me before you do anything too hasty
    about buying another one.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

newby.204 wrote:
    So do i still hold a licence but am changing the details serial no. make etc?, i.e. do i have to go get farmers names and that ****e again or is it a simple change of the licence????

Id like to have the o/u within a week of selling trading in my beretta.

No its s change on the licence what happened to me was F O scribbled out name and scerial number wrote number and make of new shotgun in on the licence and signed it.. and that was it when the new licence came the following july it was all printed and proper:)

Now obviously if it were a rifle and you were changing calibers say from .22 up to say .243 or 30.06 spfd it would be a different matter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

+1 on everything Chopperdog says above.

Don't discount the semi-auto immediately, it is the tool of choice for pigeon decoying and rabbit control, after all.

Changing the licence should be a paper exercise at the counter of the station.
    So long as you aren't looking to change calibre, any Guard can amend the licence with the new manufacturer name and serial number, and re-stamp the licence, but you may have to get the Firearms Officer to do it as I've found that a fair few Gardai (particularly the younger ones) are reluctant to fiddle with Firearms Certificates.
    You'll have to have something from a firearms dealer showing that they've taken in the original gun, and the details of the new one.

I've never changed one from a 'Single Barrel' to a 'Double Barrel', but I don't see it as being any big problem. Anyone know different?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I've never changed one from a 'Single Barrel' to a 'Double Barrel', but I don't see it as being any big problem.

Since he's looking to go from a "Semi" to an "U/O" I don't think anyone will see a problem with that.

jaycee wrote:
    Since he's looking to go from a "Semi" to an "U/O" I don't think anyone will see a problem with that.
    Does the word 'Semi' appear on anyone's shotgun licence?

Just looking at mine, my semi has this-
    ...use and carry a Shotgun by, BERETTA, of Single Barrel...

while the u/o has-
    ...use and carry a Shotgun (Under and Over) by, BETTINSOLI, of Double Barrel...

Hey, I've just noticed... no mention of calibre (gauge) :confused:

Anyhow, my rifle and pistol licences all have Semi Automatic or Bolt Action on them.

Is my Beretta licence an anomaly in not having the action type on it?

As you say jaysee, I don't foresee changing from a semi to an u/o being any problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Newby, if I were in your shoes i'd be keeping the Beretta. I am probably going to change my Fabarm side by side (realy nice gun but i cant hit sh1te with it) for a Beretta extrema semi auto or a benelli m1 super 90.

Semi autos are just fantastic. As you've said yourself you haven't even put 100 rounds through the Beretta. Go do a bit of heavy shooting with it.

My brother had a Benelli super black eagle and fired thousands of rounds through it, fantastic gun, handled well, light recoil and extremely tough.

He changed to a Beretta Extrema this year and that is an even better gun. Its easier to load and unload, lovely gun to shoot, fits me like a glove and again its bomb proof.

He would never sell it but he would buy an over and under for driven shoots and maybe clay shooting but as far as rough shooting goes in my opinion the semi auto is king

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Shotgun to shotgun is no problem (once you're not looking to switch a limited to an unlimited).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Rovi wrote:
    Does the word 'Semi' appear on anyone's shotgun licence?

Just looking at mine, my semi has this-
    ...use and carry a Shotgun by, BERETTA, of Single Barrel...

while the u/o has-
    ...use and carry a Shotgun (Under and Over) by, BETTINSOLI, of Double Barrel...

Hey, I've just noticed... no mention of calibre (gauge) :confused:

Anyhow, my rifle and pistol licences all have Semi Automatic or Bolt Action on them.

Is my Beretta licence an anomaly in not having the action type on it?

As you say jaysee, I don't foresee changing from a semi to an u/o being any problem.

My shotgun licence says "...use and carry a Shotgun (Single Barrel) by BAIKAL, of Single Barrel bearing the identification number YEDIDN'TREALLYTHINKI'DPRINTHTISBIT..." As with yours Rovi there's no mention of 12guage or semi automatic. Got mine 23rd of Frb, so unless anything has changed since then I doubt anyone else has other details on theirs, standing by to be corrected though.

John

• Advertisement

When the pulse system came in, all new shotguns were supposed to have the action type listed. Older guns that were licenced before PULSE are just signle or double barrel (under calibre!).

civdef wrote:
    When the pulse system came in, all new shotguns were supposed to have the action type listed. Older guns that were licenced before PULSE are just signle or double barrel (under calibre!).
    Aaaah... that explains it.
    I have the semi a looong time, the u/o is pretty recent.

civdef wrote:

When did that come in Civdef? As I said mine was licenced feb of this year.

John

2000,if I remember right, but it didn't go all that smoothly as some of ye may remember. Dealers were sent instructions on what information to give about guns - action type and the like.

I'm sure some people still make mistakes, and if the dealer or the guard entering the information just puts down Baikal single barrel, instead of single barrel (semi-automatic), then the system records it as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Similarly the pump-action is licensed as a single barrel.
    When the pulse system came in, all new shotguns were supposed to have the action type listed. Older guns that were licenced before PULSE are just single or double barrel (under calibre!).

Last year when the renwing it we decided to try and fix that (thinking it was incorrect)
    went to the dealer to have it plugged (can currently take 5 rounds) he said, don't bother its fine so long as you don't shoot game** with it its not a problem and they still mark them as single barrels on the licenses going out today....told the garda what the dealer said and he replied "sound, nuf said", so the license stayed the same, go figure..........

** apparently you can shoot vermin with an unplugged repeater...in fact there is no limit at all....but for game its limited to 3 rounds ;)

Got my licence, I have an unlimited licence, bout a month ago at this stage reads "carry a Shotgun(Semi-Automatic) by BERETTA of Single Barrel bearing......"

With regards to the unplugged, plugged issue mine can hold four, one in the pipe, three in the tube,
    does this mean i cant shoot game with it and if so what can i shoot??
    Foxes?? Rabbits?? Birds?? take it a cant shoot pheasant then???

Im all confused as you say im new, my only real problem with the semi is changing loads. when im shooting birds etc i run with 5's/6's 36grm. When i come across foxes, something i only decided to shoot with the shotgun as i used to think it cruel had a change of mind yesterday, i have to change loads to magnums, BB's and by the time ive done so the foxes got away, its also loud, even when i run the bolt forward with my hand on it!!!!!!!!!

I find it easier to change loads with the o/u and just loved it!
    Its probably because im new and have wanted a firearm for years for huntinh, now ive found i have one im all over the place, constantly saying do i have the right gun. did i pay too much, should i change!

When hunting game i.e. grouse, pheasant, duck etc etc you can only have 3 shots, 1 in chamber 2 in the tube.

When shooting vermin i.e. fox, rabbit, pigeon etc etc you can have as many shots as you like. My brother once thought about buying a 10 shot Benelli but it weighed a ton loaded and was kinda hard/dangerous to try and remember the number of shots in the bad boy.

When out hunting there is an implied chance of failure, some days you'll come home empty handed, so even with an over and under you wont always get those fox cartridges loaded in time, in fact i'd say I have never had the time to change cartridges for a fox as the only ones I've shot (with a shotgun) have been within 10-15 yards and the 36 gram loads will do the job fine at those ranges.

Usually when you go hunting you have a purpose, like rabbit shooting or pigeon shooting or fox hunting and you are equipped accordingly. You cant go out with the attitude of "I'm hunting and will shoot whatever i can or come across"

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

just had a look at my license there.. carry a shotgun(semi-automatic) by lumar of single barrel bear..." never had much trouble getting the licence. must say getting a second licence seems to be alot easier. just gave them my first licence my gun club card and the slip from the gun dealer the guard filled the forms and i signed it when he was finihed. happy days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

carry a shotgun(semi-automatic) by lumar

I suppose thats for a BACKup shotgun... :rolleyes:

Newby.204

As Vegeta said, it's a good idea to be after a certain quarry when you're out. If you're after fox, forget the birds and vice versa. With fox especially any bit of noise and forget it cos they're gone. You're right in that the O/U would be a lot quieter, but I've seen my friend miss with both SBS barrels (which in fairness was very unusual for him), tough luck then cos you're fumbling with carts and breaking the gun etc. The 3rd & even 4th shot do come in handy at times (especially if you've got 2 foxes hunting close together). My humble 2cents would be to stick with what you have for the moment, give it a chance and see how the situation is after you've had more expierence with it. I know now I should have gone for a rifle first time, it would have suited my needs better than the shotgun, but after a couple of months I'm not sorry I got it. :D

John

Btw, are you seeing many foxes during the day?

• Advertisement

jaycee wrote:
    I suppose thats for a BACKup shotgun... :rolleyes:
    As opposed to that 10-shot Benelli Vegeta's brother was looking at; that'd be a 'bad back' gun :D
    (I was going to use the term 'brokeback', but I decided against it ;))

Speaking of heavy shotguns, I had a fiddle with a SPAS-12 one time in a gunshop. Now that's a heavy shotgun! Empty, the thing felt considerably heavier than my loaded Beretta semi-auto. IIRC, it held 9 or 10 cartridges; I dread to think what it would weigh fully loaded.

Rovi wrote:
    As opposed to that 10-shot Benelli Vegeta's brother was looking at; that'd be a 'bad back' gun :D
    (I was going to use the term 'brokeback', but I decided against it ;))

Speaking of heavy shotguns, I had a fiddle with a SPAS-12 one time in a gunshop. Now that's a heavy shotgun! Empty, the thing felt considerably heavier than my loaded Beretta semi-auto. IIRC, it held 9 or 10 cartridges; I dread to think what it would weigh fully loaded.

Rovi,

Did it come with wheels?:confused:;)

John

man a spas would have to be shot from the hip, pistol grip only please, if I put it up to my shoulder fully loaded i'd fall over, it would be like putting a dumbell on a toothpick

johngalway wrote:
    Did it come with wheels?
    No, but some sort of 'wheelbarrow mount' or some such would be useful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

it will be back up for someone else when the fishing is over. mind u thats all it will ever be a, back up.

Well the farm i was shooting on has everything, mallard, pheasant, foxes, rabbits and birds so when you go out you are shooting at everything, generally arent after a specific game

Yea seein plenty of foxes in the day where im shooting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

When hunting game i.e. grouse, pheasant, duck etc etc you can only have 3 shots, 1 in chamber 2 in the tube.

Yep thats right ...was just mondering tho does it matter if its capable of holding more ???
    I think the idea is to stop people injuring game...presumably by continuing firing at long distances ???
    When shooting vermin i.e. fox, rabbit, pigeon etc etc you can have as many shots as you like. My brother once thought about buying a 10 shot Benelli but it weighed a ton loaded and was kinda hard/dangerous to try and remember the number of shots in the bad boy.

you can buy extensions for them too...now that would be cool..only thing is if I had that many shots i'd probably keep firin' til I ran out :rolleyes: both expensive and pointless (its bad enuf with 4 shots :))...its just so hard to stop if the fox is still in any sort of range at all :(

as for changing cartridges thats why i love the double barrel for game...and even if we are after foxs during the pheasant season I'll still have a 36gr 6 in the bottom barrel and a BB in the top..its just so easy to flick over on the O/U you can do it so quick when your knockin off the safety.....I used to do the same with the repeater but that was ok too because you could just pump out the 6 (but it takes a while), then have a BB second...all in all the double barrel is better if, say your after game but don't want to see any easy fox get away..........just don't get tempted to fire the BB at the pheasant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

yeah i totally know what you mean i have a 2 shot semi-auto it holds one in the chamber and one underneath which is just loaded by putting them in the side and pulling the bolt back its the quickest easiest gun ive ever had to load and very nice handling can change cartridges in a second and i look at my dad fumbling with his benelli trying to take out all the cartridges and change them guns just arent made the same anymore

Advertisement