Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I know its a month old but,......

• 26-05-2006 2:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Yet again,...... http://www.indymedia.ie/article/75304
    Why am I seeing more and more of this every damned week? :mad:
    The guy makes a great point about the ramps being made mandatory, I mean, for that price alone to make a pub at least semi-accessible, the idea should definitely be looked into.

b

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

Ramps have to be a certain gradient for them to be safe as too steep a gradient can be dangerous especially coming down. What most places do if the step is quite high is they have a ramp to the side of the entrance this is safer but it is also more expensive and takes up more room...i wonder if there is goverment funding available to contribute towards the cost of such an item and to encourage private companys to make they're buildings accessible. I am also pretty sure the premises in question would also have to apply for planning permision and mightn't get it if it's a listed building.

It is pretty bad form for an employer to say a pub is accessible when it's not. I wonder if the premises contained an accessible toilet.

Everything you needed to know about ramps http://www.abledata.com/abledata_docs/ramps.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

When it comes to these places snorlax, access seems to be in the eye of the beholder.

For example, you often phone a place ahead of time to ask about access, guy who answers thinks "ah yeah, tis only a little step (to him), sure I can lift the chair up that" not realising that the chair itself minus me, weighs 15stone.

Its all about education, more disability awareness training needed in the SMALLER buisnesses incl. pubs restaurants and clubs would be much more useful for PWD's than it is in a corporate center where somone store manager may visit once a year.

Dont get me wrong tho, equality & awareness training IS usefull in big buisness re employment too, but I think somtimes we forget that the message often dosent get passed down to the small buisnesses which we use everyday. Where individual employees may leave after a month.

I was a trainer for over a decade and more than once I thought "ok, now you know this Mr. Director of X company, are you gonna tell each of your store managers?"
    I didnt think so. Policy be damned, that can end up as just another binned memo, these training needs to be done more often "in-store" imho.

As an example, B&Q have an extensive "Disability Awareness Training" for the people who give all of the customer service training as part of their 4 day intro to working there. You know how much of those four days was about disability in general?
    30 mins max thats it. (I was one of the employees in the group of 20+ who were "being trained").

b

Advertisement