Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give a pup a bone?

Options
  • 26-05-2006 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

Is it ok to give a puppy a bone from the butchers? I try to give her manufactured bones from the pet shop but my older dog just robs them off her!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bspoke

Eh will your older dog not just rob the butchers bone aswell???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Majorty of vets will tell you to never give a dog a bone.Its very easy for spliters of bone to get stuck in the dogs throat,id advise against doing so.try a dog toy instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I'm paranoid about bones esp around puppies, they can manage to get themselves into all sorts of messes even with safe toys lol. An alternative is a kong filled with stuff, there is one bone in the pet shop which seems to be safe it's a white bone with a filling in it and it's shrink wrapped there's no sharp bits to it and my 2 can't break it. But if your other dog is stealing the bones he'll just steal anything else esp. a tasty butcher bone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭eiretamicha

I am actually an advocate of giving dogs raw, meaty bones and feeding them a raw foods diet. Bones have gotten a bad rep because of owners giving their animals cooked bones. Cooked bones can be very dangerous because they splinter and can become lodged in the stomach and intestinal tract.

Raw bones, on the other hand, are very nutritious, easily digested, and great for your pet's teeth and gums.

That said, puppies are chew-maniacs and may gulp down huge chunks of just about anything which could cause some very serious problems. If you're interested in giving your puppy bones, start out slow, keep your eye on him, and know when to take the bone away.

Also, if you do decide to give your pets raw bones, I'd suggest giving both of your dogs a bone each and keeping them separated while they chew.

Good luck!:)

Advertisement