Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lidl hdd/dvd recorder

• 26-05-2006 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

hello. wonder if anyone bought the targa hdd/dvd recorder in lidl on monday or the last time it was available. model no drh-5200x. managed to get one and very impressed with it. BUT has anyone noticed a smell from it when it is on. not strong smell. not a smell of burning as such. more like maybe a drop of oil or grease on some part that gets warm. is it just because it is new. wonder if anything to do with the fan blowing air through it. lidl have none left so can not exchange. rang targa helpline, they said to leave it a week or two. if still the same to ring them back. anyone had any similar experience?. thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭shovel

hello again. got no replies. going to try again. hopefully not the only person that bought one. anyone out there that bought one. would like to know how they are getting on with that model and have they noticed anything like the post above. plugging out every night just in case. thanks in advance. new to this so any help would be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

If you're still smeeling it, the unit may be faulty, I'd return it to be safe, incase it breaks/damages discs/blows up ;) Better to get it sorted now before it's outside warrenty/causes damage. A burning smell is never a good thing, fair enough the first time you start something up it can burn dust/packing off it's boards, but a month after.... can't be good.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

I got a DVD player a few years back in Supervalu during Christmas week.
    It had a smell that sounds similar to what you're describing.

I took it back, and there were none left to exchange it, so
    I ended up taking it home.
    The smell got a bit better, but never went away.
    It worked fine for 2 years light usage, and then packed in.

There's a scorched capacitor on the main board, so I guess
    that is where the smell was coming from.
    I'll replace it at some stage and see how it goes, but I
    was never comfortable leaving it plugged in.

It could just as likely be a warm bit of lubricant,
    but it'd be hard to tell.

Good luck with it,
    NiallB

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭shovel

thanks very much to everyone.going to contact targa technical section and try to get a replacement. great forum by the way

Advertisement