Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"Tramlining" + wider wheels

Options
  • 26-05-2006 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I am looking to put larger wheels on my car (3 series), and I am looking at a pair of 18" wheels. My only real concern is that they are a good bit wider than my current wheels, and the rear wheels are wider than the front wheels (255/35/18 and 235/40/18).

From what I can see, this can result in "tramlining" - where the car follows ruts / depressions etc in the road, and makes it feel like the car is making it's own mind up where it wants to go.

I have already noticed that a RWD car is very different to drive than my Alfa (have to be a LOT more careful in the wet now), and don't particularly want anything else to worry about. Is it a concern, or something you get used to easily?

thanks,

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Tramlining is also often caused by fitting wheels of the wrong offset and/or incorrect tracking.
    Since I dont think 3 series came with wider rear wheels, you better check all of your wheels are the correct offset to begin with.
    If you are going for 18s make sure they are correct for your car, as wider wheels put more pressure on the wheel bearings.
    I have fit larger wheels to many of my cars, and never got tramlining.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Kersh wrote:
    Tramlining is also often caused by fitting wheels of the wrong offset and/or incorrect tracking.
    Since I dont think 3 series came with wider rear wheels, you better check all of your wheels are the correct offset to begin with.
    If you are going for 18s make sure they are correct for your car, as wider wheels put more pressure on the wheel bearings.
    I have fit larger wheels to many of my cars, and never got tramlining.

The wheels I am looking at are genuine BMW ones, just bigger than my stock ones. In fact I think they are/were a factory option, so I am pretty sure that they are the correct size.

From what I can tell, the staggered setup seems to be one of the most common causes of tramlining.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Your concern is valid. No doubt those 18" alloys will look great, but this is not a good country for them, unless almost all of your mileage is on good roads. There is a risk of bursting them in putholes too. Expensive that! I've similar 18" (slightly less low profile than yours @255/45) on my 7-series and have burst one tyre in a puthole in over 2 years of (careful) driving. Get tramlining too but not much

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Don't forget aquaplaning ...the wider the tyre, the easier it "swims".

If you regularly travel on roads with standing water, you might want to give extra wide tyres a miss ...as nice as they look and all

unkel wrote:
    Your concern is valid. No doubt those 18" alloys will look great, but this is not a good country for them, unless almost all of your mileage is on good roads. There is a risk of bursting them in putholes too. Expensive that! I've similar 18" (slightly less low profile than yours @255/45) on my 7-series and have burst one tyre in a puthole in over 2 years of (careful) driving. Get tramlining too but not much

Thanks Unkel - the tyres look like they may cost a fortune alright. It's looking like 160 for decent front ones, and I haven't even priced ones for the rear wheels yet! The roads in Wicklow aren't the best either...

Edit: Peasant, heard that also about the extra wide tyres, think I'll give them a miss so.

I have sourced some replica wheels: 225/40/18 for all 4 wheels. Think they are the more sensible option!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote:
    Get tramlining too but not much

If a 7 series tramlines a little on these wheels, is there not a danger a 3 series will do it a lot more due to it being a much lighter car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

My car comes stock with wider wheels in the back (205/50/15) than in the front (185/55/15). I haven't noticed any tramlining at all (other than on tram lines;) ).

If you find you're experiencing oversteer with your RWD car, staggered wheels sizes should help that some. If it's understeer, though, they'll make it worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Slinky>

I have wider on the back (255's) and I find aquaplaning a lot more of a problem than tramlining, Im guessing your BM has ABS that would help though,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

m guessing your BM has ABS that would help though,

It wont, ABS only makes use of available traction. Aquaplaning means no (or at least very little in any direction) traction! Ice can offer more traction than a nice aquaplane believe it or not!

He/she could have meant ASC, which kicks in when there is no traction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

eoin_s wrote:
    He/she could have meant ASC, which kicks in when there is no traction?

In that case, no traction really means low. No amount electronic trickery is going to help you if you get to the extent of nasty aquaplaning. Although it may prevent the driver from making things any worse!

Advertisement