Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Optimising win2k pro on a laptop

• 26-05-2006 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Have win2k pro installed on a pretty old p2 366mhz laptop that is used only for word processing and internet browsing. I've recently doubled the RAM from 128mb to 256mb and it has made it a bit faster alright but i was wondering is there anything i can turn off or uninstall from the standard win2k pro installation that will make the memory footprint smaller and decrease boot times?

Also has norton antivirus on it, should that be removed and AVG put on instead?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Norton is a resource eating bitch. Get rid of it for a start.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Run Taskmgr and see how much memory is in use - especially the peak.
    and will show the CPU usage too

sysinternals autoruns will list other junk running in the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

i closed a lot of services running on one of my 2k machines, it has 16 processes running at startup. cant remember what they are exactly, some of them might be neccessary for your individual needs ( like printer spooling ). anyhow it definately increased performance

Advertisement