Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anit pollution mask

Options
  • 26-05-2006 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    does anyone here use/have used one of the respro anti pollution masks. If so how well do they perform? I have read that people 'cant smell the bus in front' which would be very good but how does it affect your breathing? If you are cycling pretty hard does it leave you more breathless than normal?
    And does anyone have any other recommendations?
    Thanks,
    R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

I have used one of these and they are quite easy to breath with. They do take a bit of getting used to though as they are a bit uncomfortable until you find a comfortable way of wearing it. The only problem I got with is that the sweat builds up on the inside as there is no wind to wick it away.

It takes out some dangerous air bourne particles but not so much the smell. I don't know if they work as I think it's a long term thing that over time the pollution will damage your lungs and with this mask it won't be so bad...

I'm open for correction on that though.

Hope that helps :)

Apperently it filters out Hydrocarbons including Benzene & Pyrene, Nitrogen Oxides, Sulphur Dioxide, Lead Oxide and Black Smoke, Micron Size Particulates including Pollen Dust and Building Dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

when i used to commute on a bike in th uk used to use one of these all the time (mainly to look scary to car drivers) actually it was because i started to get bad sinus probs from pollution and dirt up my nose once i got used to it it was ok.
    and i stopped sneezing all the time
    if your commute is in heavy traffic like mine was i'd certainly consider it. old fat now with too much computer gear in car to commute on bike

hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Cheers guys have decided to go with it and get the 'benefits' of 'altitute trainig'!
    R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Cheers guys have decided to go with it and get the 'benefits' of 'altitute trainig'!
    R

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

You have to change the filters on it, depending on how much you use it depends on how often. 2 filters are about €20 I think...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

I've no doubt it helps to filter out pollution on routes with heavy traffic but i've also heard that it can bring your chin out in spots, because of the poor ventilation and germs caused by your breathing. Not sure if this is scientifically proven, though.:D

The flip side to this is that many will argue that the fact that you are exercising your lungs heavily while cycling may somewhat offset the pollution effects, ie you take it in but you're exhaling it just as hard as well so the toxins are less likely to settle in your lungs. again, don't quote me on this, but the theory makes sense.

As a commuting cyclist i'm happier with this than a situation where you are sitting in a car traffic fumes with the window wide open and not exercising your lungs at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ciaranr

Yeah, I read confirmation (as if we need it) in an article somewhere that cycling to work/occupation is healthier for many reasons but one is that you are actually spending less tome breathing in fumes than drivers cos in congested areas, the cyclist will always get where they are going faster than the driver. But the mask is deifinitely a good idea, and probably would be good for drivers too!

Ciaran

Advertisement