Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

benifits of extra ip?

Options
  • 26-05-2006 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

If yu have one connection but are offered an extra ip address, what are the benefits? as far of my limited knowledge extends =i understand your ip to be the address through which youre isp sends you info and you send info two - so if you have two then bassicly it means the traffic is halved on a particualar line of communication? - providing you put say 2 computers using one ip and 2 using the other?
    am i anywhere near correct?!"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

For domestic use you would almost never need more than one public IP address. Multiple IP address are used for commercial entities for such this as: hosting multiple services on the same port, fault tolerence and NLB.
    I wouldn't worry about getting a second one unless you plan on high-end hosting etc.

Advertisement