Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drink Driving Regularly

Options
  • 26-05-2006 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

Slightly different take on my other pole. I'm wondering how many drinks people have before driving on a regular basis. By regular I mean at least once a month.

How many drinks would you have before driving? 59 votes

None, never drink and drive
    0% 0 votes
    1 drink
    64% 38 votes
    2 drinks
    28% 17 votes
    3 drinks
    5% 3 votes
    4 or more drinks
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Changes the statistics doesn't it. I'd occasionly drive after one drink, but as I don't do it regularly (ie once a month), I guess I fit into option 1. I'd love even a regular drink:) The joys of marriage, parenthood and house building.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

regularly as in once a month, none.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

If I was ever out in the car and met socially someone for a drink, I wouldn't have more than one, and it would be a bottle of beer at that and not a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

On a night out starting @ 8/9ish and finishing ~3/4 ish I would normally have 2 (very rarely 3 if a long night out) bottles of beer.

I used to be of the zero tolerance lobby but that was before I knew how to drive or knew my limits.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd have 1, and only 1, while waiting on a chinese or an Indian . If I lost my licence I'd be screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Sparks400 wrote:
    I'd have 1, and only 1, while waiting on a chinese or an Indian . If I lost my licence I'd be screwed.
    well is it worth having the 1 so if your licence is so precious?

comanche wrote:
    On a night out starting @ 8/9ish and finishing ~3/4 ish I would normally have 2 (very rarely 3 if a long night out) bottles of beer.

I used to be of the zero tolerance lobby but that was before I knew how to drive or knew my limits.
    ha dont make me laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

ha dont make me laugh
    what do you mean?
    2 bottles over 5 hours and you cant drive?

subway wrote:
    what do you mean?
    2 bottles over 5 hours and you cant drive?
    its not worth the risk and you would be telling yourself a lie if you thought it was
    2 btls roughly 5 units of alchol
    5 units needs at least 5 hours
    your cutting it fine not to mention the tireness that alchol brings on and that your rate of process slows with the second bottle and also the long night you just had after probably a day at work??

its just not worth the risk

its not worth the risk and you would be telling yourself a lie if you thought it was
    2 btls roughly 5 units of alchol
    5 units needs at least 5 hours
    your cutting it fine not to mention the tireness that alchol brings on and that your rate of process slows with the second bottle and also the long night you just had after probably a day at work??

its just not worth the risk

I think that you are on a bit of a crusade because you had a near miss. I suggest you let the trauma wear off before posting hasty comments.

http://www.drugsalcohol.info/alcohol/default.asp?artId=34

1 bottle of beer = ~1.5 units

2 bottles = ~3.0 units
    3 bottles = ~4.5 units

21h to 03 hours = 6 hours. So by no means am I cutting it fine by your reasoning.

It has been proven that tired drivers are just as dangerous as drink drivers. So I buy your point on tiredness but I am pretty much the same as any other driver on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

comanche wrote:
    I think that you are on a bit of a crusade because you had a near miss.

Seconded, in as nice a way as I can put it.

well you can put it that way but i have always been anti drink driving

my aunt and cousin were killed by drink driver a few years ago he got away with it,a fine and cant remember about a ban tho

but to put the shoe on the other foot your over confidence about your driving and knowledge of limits are accecptable(thats your choice) but it that kinda attitude that many people have no matter how much they have drunk and it just need to change,

All factors tiredness,road conditions,car conditions and speed contribute to the road deaths in ireland why add another factor to that??

ambro25 wrote:
    Seconded, in as nice a way as I can put it.
    accecpted

comanche wrote:
    I think that you are on a bit of a crusade because you had a near miss. I suggest you let the trauma wear off before posting hasty comments.

http://www.drugsalcohol.info/alcohol/default.asp?artId=34

1 bottle of beer = ~1.5 units

2 bottles = ~3.0 units
    3 bottles = ~4.5 units

21h to 03 hours = 6 hours. So by no means am I cutting it fine by your reasoning.

It has been proven that tired drivers are just as dangerous as drink drivers. So I buy your point on tiredness but I am pretty much the same as any other driver on the road.
    which drink would you drink BTW

Heinicken

well you can put it that way but i have always been anti drink driving

my aunt and cousin were killed by drink driver a few years ago he got away with it,a fine and cant remember about a ban tho

I do think that this is a disgrace (very sorry to hear about your aunt and cousin), but imo the fault there lies with the justice system. Drink driving and such is not regarded as a serious crime.
    but to put the shoe on the other foot your over confidence about your driving and knowledge of limits are accecptable(thats your choice) but it that kinda attitude that many people have no matter how much they have drunk and it just need to change,

All factors tiredness,road conditions,car conditions and speed contribute to the road deaths in ireland why add another factor to that??

For me personally I only ever bring the car out with me on a night out if there is a need (if I am on call etc), otherwise I would leave the car at home. On said occasions I am making a consious decision to not drink and drive. I have two bottles of beers over the course of 6 hours or so or perhaps three if over a longer period. I only have those two beers if I feel that it will not impair my ability to drive home.

If the law was such that I couldn't have any alcohol I wouldn't have any. But my personal opinion is that 3 - 4.5 units over 6 hours is both legal and more importantly does not impede my reaction times. For other people it may.

comanche wrote:
    I do think that this is a disgrace (very sorry to hear about your aunt and cousin), but imo the fault there lies with the justice system. Drink driving and such is not regarded as a serious crime.

For me personally I only ever bring the car out with me on a night out if there is a need (if I am on call etc), otherwise I would leave the car at home. On said occasions I am making a consious decision to not drink and drive. I have two bottles of beers over the course of 6 hours or so or perhaps three if over a longer period. I only have those two beers if I feel that it will not impair my ability to drive home.

If the law was such that I couldn't have any alcohol I wouldn't have any. But my personal opinion is that 3 - 4.5 units over 6 hours is both legal and more importantly does not impede my reaction times. For other people it may.
    i agree the justice system is an ass and i personally dont think it will change for a very long time,why hasnt it changed so far?

as for your decision to drink and wait over a period of time as i said its your decision, your choice but with other facitors included it is something i personally would never consider and something i do not condone and would advise others of the same no matter what argument anyone puts forward,there are too many if's and but's regarding alcho units,time,persons size,food intake etc its all too much of a chance

comanche wrote:
    Heinicken
    be sure its not the imported stuff

Advertisement