Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Financial Q&A website

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Oh right so the owner's morals are supposed to override his business ambition?

For some strange reason I don't think that'll happen!!! Has it ever happened with anyone?

IMO, what he's done is very smart and if he's not breaking any laws then even better.

I can pretty much presume from your messages that you're not in business and if you are, you seem to have the kind of attitude that I personally try and avoid doing business with. I work in a cut throat industry but the reality is that it is very rare that people try and pull a fast one on anyone else. Nobody wants to work with rip off merchants. Morals come into business everyday and in every deal. Just because someone is completely motivated by the bottom line doesn't mean that they should want to rip you off.

I still stand by my original point. I don't know what PBarry has to do with askaboutmoney.com but if he has registered the .ie domain just to try and steal some traffic then I don't want to have anything to do with him. If this is the case he should reverse the situation and walk away with his business name relatively in tact.

The legal situation may also not be as simple as you may think. I went to register a .ie for an old company and the IEDR told me it was occupied. I found out that it was a direct competitor who is known for this kind of thing. He had registered the name before I had registered the trademark in Ireland. I thought I was stuck but it didn't matter as it turned out that the IEDR were easily convinced of what he was doing and would strip him of the .ie domain. Buying domains for resale is one thing, buying one just to try and steal some of the steam that someone else in the same industry has worked hard to generate is bad move. It seriously calls into question the standing and reputation of a website which is supposed to be all about a subject that requires a lot of transparency, finance.

Cents.ie? More like no-sense.ie.

For the record, I am a regular contributor and user of the askaboutmoney.com on line community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

frobisher wrote:
    I can pretty much presume from your messages that you're not in business and if you are, you seem to have the kind of attitude that I personally try and avoid doing business with. I work in a cut throat industry but the reality is that it is very rare that people try and pull a fast one on anyone else. Nobody wants to work with rip off merchants. Morals come into business everyday and in every deal. Just because someone is completely motivated by the bottom line doesn't mean that they should want to rip you off.

I'm training as an accountant and am speaking from experience with dealing with clients, people are always looking at ways at getting more money without actually breaking laws but they do tend to look for ways around them.

From what I understand of cyber squatting, Pbarry has done nothing wrong.

I'm a member of askaboutmoney.com too and have got some good info from people over there so I know that it's a good site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No one has answered on what basis has he registered the name?

Why does the whois entry not list an address? Is that not compulsory?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Bond-007 wrote:
    No one has answered on what basis has he registered the name?

Why does the whois entry not list an address? Is that not compulsory?

I don't think whois entries for .ie domains show any address like the .coms..

But you can check his business name registration "Outsource Factory" details on CRO site.

... another free publicity...

mart

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

utopian wrote:
    Of course it's my opinion...what else would it be?

It could be pBarrys opinion posing as yours :eek:

I must admit that I think it's sneaky and wrong to try and gain some credibility through the good name of another well-established and reputable website. I know he is a competitor but surely this is the worst way to start.

No, not the worst, the worst is posting links to your site when the damn thing doesn't work. Doesn't look too professional at all and that coupled with the other issue makes me think...nah, I'll pass on this one pal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

r3nu4l wrote:
    I must admit that I think it's sneaky and wrong to try and gain some credibility through the good name of another well-established and reputable website. I know he is a competitor but surely this is the worst way to start.
    PBarry is not a competitor of Askaboutmoney.com. Askaboutmoney.com is a non-profit making community website. There are no charges for using the service. There is no advertising on the site. The substantial hosting costs are currently paid personally by the founder of the site Brendan Burgess (though regular users in the site have made voluntary contributions to cover costs in the past). Askaboutmoney.com

But I do agree with the main thrust of your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thanks for the clarification but I meant competitor in terms of attracting users to his site and not the business finance side of things.

PBarry may not be a financial competitor but he sees Askaboutmoney.com as competition for the potential userbase for his cents.ie site.

His re-direct is an underhand way of sneaking potential users away from askaboutmoney.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭GilGrissom

RainyDay wrote:
    The substantial hosting costs are currently paid personally by the founder of the site Brendan Burgess (though regular users in the site have made voluntary contributions to cover costs in the past).

Is this the "moderators for cash scheme" ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

askaboutmoney.com is frequently too busy and i get a server too busy message,maybe the founder should put up limited advertising/promotion to pay for more server space etc,since the founder has been on today fm regularly the site seems to be coming very stretched at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Sad as it may be, am inclined to agree.

Brendan's made a product with clear commercial value, he shouldnt have to keep forking out the ever escalating costs that his site must raise.

Maybe some financial ad's small like in the boards format would be an idea.

Big kudo's to him for being totally non commercial so far, a man with principle..but maybe time for a man with realism too, if anywhere a money board reader can appreciate the need to pay for the board!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

We've been working hard to address the server load problem, including quadrupling of the RAM on our server. Unfortunately, we still find the server gets overloaded at peak times. We are considering our options for resolving this as we speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

It may not be a trademark but it looks like Brendan Burgess has it registered as a business name since 2000 so the legal position might not be all that clear.

Regardless of the legal position it is not ethical behaviour to be trying to hijack askaboutmoney's traffic and I know it makes me personally question whether I could trust the information on a website with such a modus operandi and for a financial website trust is everything.

I am also a user of askaboutmoney.com and I have to say from experience I do trust the good intentions of Brendan and the moderators over there, that the information posted is informative and pretty reliable (or where its not that it gets pointed out) and that parties making posts who have vested interests are challenged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

ive seen some not too intrusive advertising on many message boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

dam099 wrote:
    It may not be a trademark but it looks like Brendan Burgess has it registered as a business name since 2000 so the legal position might not be all that clear.

In that case pbarry would have no legal right to register the domain. It seems that no one can tell me on what basis he has obtained the domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pbarry

Plenty of questions to be answered here!

Firstly, I have been in touch with Brendan and the domain www.askaboutmoney.ie now redirects to askaboutmoney.com. This is only a quick solution.

How did I manage to register the domain? Like any other domain, applied and paid for it. I was actually very shocked that it was still available.

I appreciate the difficulty involved in building up an online communtiy and "passing off" was the last thing I wanted to do, although admittedly I went about it the wrong way. I simply parked the aam.ie domain against my cents.ie.

Pissing off potential users is not the smartest thing for a new site to be doing. With regards to the cents.ie's launch - it was originally a Q&A type service but decided to offer a different slant to AAM.com. So it's now being changed to offer some additional services. I'm not launching the site to make profit although it will have ads to try and cover costs.

pbarry wrote:

Firstly, I have been in touch with Brendan and the domain www.askaboutmoney.ie now redirects to askaboutmoney.com. This is only a quick solution.

How did I manage to register the domain? Like any other domain, applied and paid for it. I was actually very shocked that it was still available.

I appreciate the difficulty involved in building up an online communtiy and "passing off" was the last thing I wanted to do, although admittedly I went about it the wrong way. I simply parked the aam.ie domain against my cents.ie.

Pissing off potential users is not the smartest thing for a new site to be doing. With regards to the cents.ie's launch - it was originally a Q&A type service but decided to offer a different slant to AAM.com. So it's now being changed to offer some additional services. I'm not launching the site to make profit although it will have ads to try and cover costs.

You've done the right thing in the end and come back here to answer all the above posts. Fair play, I respect that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Longfield wrote:
    Brendan's made a product with clear commercial value, he shouldnt have to keep forking out the ever escalating costs that his site must raise.
    Limited commercial value I would say. Its the same stuff about property all the time and a few bolt on bits too.

If it were 'sold' I'd say only MABS would buy it or maybe the ODCA .

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

frobisher wrote:

I still stand by my original point. I don't know what PBarry has to do with askaboutmoney.com but if he has registered the .ie domain just to try and steal some traffic then I don't want to have anything to do with him. If this is the case he should reverse the situation and walk away with his business name relatively in tact.

The legal situation may also not be as simple as you may think. I went to register a .ie for an old company and the IEDR told me it was occupied. I found out that it was a direct competitor who is known for this kind of thing. He had registered the name before I had registered the trademark in Ireland. I thought I was stuck but it didn't matter as it turned out that the IEDR were easily convinced of what he was doing and would strip him of the .ie domain. Buying domains for resale is one thing, buying one just to try and steal some of the steam that someone else in the same industry has worked hard to generate is bad move. It seriously calls into question the standing and reputation of a website which is supposed to be all about a subject that requires a lot of transparency, finance.

Cents.ie? More like no-sense.ie.

For the record, I am a regular contributor and user of the askaboutmoney.com on line community.

I wish more people felt like this. When I was in business I tried to avoid doing business with the quick-buck merchants.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

pbarry wrote:

fair play on you about the domain name - makes me tempted to check out your site when it eventually launches. still not up..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Don't you think, promoting sites while they are not ready or incomplete or even down will push away visitors and they won't be coming back again?

mart

DeVore wrote:
    I wish more people felt like this. When I was in business I tried to avoid doing business with the quick-buck merchants.

DeV.

Thanks Dev. There are plenty of us honest folk out there!

Advertisement