Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia 5140 & GPS shell: any good?

• 26-05-2006 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of getting the 5140 as I like to do a bit of running and cycling and it looks tougher than most phones, so .... Is the 5140 any good? (ok, thats a very relative question....let me try again)

Do you have a 5140? What do you like about it? What is bad about it? When the blurb says its splash proof, what does that mean? how wet did you get it and did it still work? Can I use it in the rain? Also, it is said to be dust proof....does that mean I can use it on the beach and be safe from sand?

I like the look of the GPS shell that can be got for this phone. Do you have one? Do you think it is worth it? What is quality / accuracy / reception like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

One of my hiking mates has it and the gps shell, gps works grand (most of the time), you got to watch the battery life though, no point running the device down if you need to make a phone call later (so a car charger would be a good investment) - he uses it to locate to the start of hikes (transposing Lat/Lon to the irish national grid using the facilities on the OSI site, to record waypoints on route (backtracking if necessary), and validate position when referring to printed mapping info

it isn't waterproof, splash proof is a good description, you can't submerge it in water or use it in heavy or constant rain etc... but if you get some water splashed on it it it would be ok - if you want complete (as possible) protection from water/sand etc. then you should check out something like an Aquapac

You might want to check out Nokia's recenlty announced 5500 handset, which runs the more advanced Series 60 system, classed as a sports phone (GPS capability would require a sperately purchased GPS Bluetooh device, plus the GPS software to work with it)

I opted for a PDA/Bluetooth GPS option so I could use the OSI Trailmaster app for hike planning / then exporitng to the PDA to use on the hike as backup navigation

Advertisement