Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl digital problem

• 26-05-2006 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

can anyone help?
    recently got ntl digital. have sharp 37" lcd tv and LG hd dvd recorder
    everything connected up according to ntl manual.
    everything was working fine for awhile then suddenly the remote for the ntl decoder stopped operating. to cut a ,long story short when the tv is switched off, the remote for the decoder works? when the tv is switched back on the remote for the decoder doesent work, and also the remote for the tv act up a bit?
    tried everything (new batteries in remotes etc).
    tried taking the dvd recorder out of the loop, leaving just the tv and the decoder, no joy.

i can still change the channels on the decoder manually, though.
    has anyone come accross this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Sounds like both the TV remote and Digibox are using very similiar IR frequencies. TBH there might not be a way to get around this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

If it's a Sharp Aquos model and it has something like OPC..... TURN IT OFF.
    It seems to send out an IR signal to detect the light levels of the room and adjusts the TV accordingly.
    From the Sharp LCDs I've come across they show little leafs(I think) that come on the screen as that function works.
    Basically the TVs light sensing signal is clashing with the IR signal used by the NTL remote control.
    I've had a few people with the same problem and turning that function off seems to solve the problem.One person I was dealing with actually rang Sharp about it and they were given the same advice,turn OPC function off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

If it's a Sharp Aquos model and it has something like OPC..... TURN IT OFF.
    It seems to send out an IR signal to detect the light levels of the room and adjusts the TV accordingly.
    From the Sharp LCDs I've come across they show little leafs(I think) that come on the screen as that function works.
    Basically the TVs light sensing signal is clashing with the IR signal used by the NTL remote control.
    I've had a few people with the same problem and turning that function off seems to solve the problem.One person I was dealing with actually rang Sharp about it and they were given the same advice,turn OPC function off.
    thanks taxman, i had switched off the opc, as i suspected that very scenario
    you've described but didn't solve the issue.
    good call though.

the strange thing about this is that sometimes it all works fine.
    im starting to believe the ntl remote itself may be the source of the problem.

i may try get my hands on another remote, asuming all ntl remotes work with all ntl digiboxes?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

If the stb is near the TV screen try moving it.I know you'll be restricted by the length of the scart lead but you should be able to move it a bit either side of the TV.

Advertisement