Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ipod link to golf mkiv stereo

Options
  • 26-05-2006 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

I have the standard VW Beta stereo, which has a tape unit. What I need to know is, does this stereo have a cd changer connection at the back which would enable me to hook a ipod up to it somehow?

Which brings me onto my next question, what cable would i need to run from an ipod to the aux in (cd changer) connection on the radio? I dont care about track listings displaying on the stereo, or being able to change the track from the stereo. I just want to be able to set a play list running on my ipod and have it play through the aux in connection.
    Finally is there anywhere that could do this cheaply for me if I supply the cable.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

L5 wrote:
    from an ipod to the aux in (cd changer) connection on the radio?
    Kinda confused, what do you mean by this.....if you have an aux-in on your radio, its a simple job to just connect a standard 3.5mm plug from the ipod to the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

fletch wrote:
    Kinda confused, what do you mean by this.....if you have an aux-in on your radio, its a simple job to just connect a standard 3.5mm plug from the ipod to the radio.

I guess you answered my question, I didn't know about a 3.5mm plug!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I don't think a VW Beta has a 3.5mm input. It may not have CD changer control either. I know the VW Gamma stereo has CD changer control. To check see if you have a button marked CD in bottom left quadrant surrounding the TP/set button.

In the photos below there is a diagram of the connections for left & right inputs - lower right of the diagram photo - you will most likely need to order a special cable for the job.

EDIT : Probably the simplest way is to get one of those cassette adaptors that connect to your iPod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Good place to ask about this kind of stuff
    http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/

crosstownk wrote:
    I don't think a VW Beta has a 3.5mm input. It may not have CD changer control either. I know the VW Gamma stereo has CD changer control. To check see if you have a button marked CD in bottom left quadrant surrounding the TP/set button.

In the photos below there is a diagram of the connections for left & right inputs - lower right of the diagram photo - you will most likely need to order a special cable for the job.

EDIT : Probably the simplest way is to get one of those cassette adaptors that connect to your iPod.

It has a button marked CD, I remember that from memory. Does this mean it has a 3.5mm input (is a aux in input the same thing?) sorry for the basic questions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

The Beta head unit does have CD changer control, I have a VW 6 disc in dash hooked to mine, but the head unit can select discs aswell. I don't know how simple it would be to connect an iPod though, trying to get a compatible block could be tricky and whether the unit would accept the mac output or not is a good question

There is no 3.5mm AUX input on a Beta unit. The easiest and cheapest way is to get one of these > http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail~dpno~404158.asp or something similar. I think Dixons and other retailers sell these too.

crosstownk wrote:
    There is no 3.5mm AUX input on a Beta unit. The easiest and cheapest way is to get one of these > http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail~dpno~404158.asp or something similar. I think Dixons and other retailers sell these too.

yeah, i have one of them already, but would prefer cd quality sound. the cassette adaptors are only ok.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Best bet is a new head unit!!

L5 wrote:
    yeah, i have one of them already, but would prefer cd quality sound. the cassette adaptors are only ok.
    I agree.

I've just looked at this > http://www.preisroboter.de/ergebnis1245568.html

You might see something here but the stuff is a wee bit pricey imo. The site is in German but you'll get the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I have a CD Head unit for sale with AUX in so it would be CD quality!! PM me if your interested!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

jonny24ie wrote:
    I have a CD Head unit for sale with AUX in so it would be CD quality!! PM me if your interested!!
    Just make sure you buy a good quality cable too if you want good sound

Advertisement