Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Micra buyer's guide?

Options
  • 26-05-2006 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at buying a 98-00 Micra (year depends on price, condition, etc.) and was just wondering if there are any particular issues to be aware of when checking them out? I know they're pretty reliable, and I have a good idea of general things to look for, but if anyone has any advice/experience to pass on, I'd be grateful.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

My advice is not to buy a micra!! They are a pain mate!! You would be better getting a Polo, Seat Ibiza!! Far more reliable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bspoke

eh wouldnt be too sure jonny. Brother in law srated off in an ibiza, sister in law in polo and my brother has a micra. Guess which one hasnt broken down

As much as i hate them (and beleive me I despise them with a vengance) the micras are very reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Exactly, bspoke. After recent Fiat experiences, reliability is the main feature being sought.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Very reliable and nippy enough for a car in it's class. Cheap and cheerful motoring. No major known issues provided you service it regularly. I could be wrong but iirc, the European Micra only got power steering sometime into '98. Japanese cars had it earlier. Might be something to look out for. I'd try and get a non-import. Easier to sell on later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Check out the driver side visor to make sure there is enough clearence
    for this season's Burberry baseball cap.;)

• Advertisement

Not worried about re-sale to be honest, unkel. A fresh Japanese import would be favourite at the moment, as power steering is pretty essential.

If only Honda had been making the Jazz a little longer, there'd be no need to buy a Micra! ;)

Hagar wrote:
    Check out the driver side visor to make sure there is enough clearence for this season's Burberry baseball cap.;)
    I'll mention that to the ma, Hagar, thanks! ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well my Bro has a micra and its one of the worst things on the road!! My sister had an Ibiza for 2 years and not one problem!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Micra - I must admit a great car, gf has one for 7 years now, bought it from new and never gave an hassle. My friend had a polo and it never stoped giving hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

Micra is the one car on the road i despise, whenever i see one i just can't help but cry for the poor person who actually went out and bought it, just how could you :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

I've been thinking about buying my first car a while now and vowes that I would never EVER EVER get a micra but they are slowly growing on me! My first choice was a polo but thanks to the good people here at boards and some friends I've have been advised that they are not all they're cracked up to be! My second, a Punto but for fear of head gasketry Im steering clear. The only fault I can find with the Micra so far, is that some of the interiors are so colourful that they can give you headache!

Anyway, my point is that Micras seem to be getting a good general overview!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭DubNside

Fiat Punto's are a disaster! Like Rovers there are 2many problems...

Im having Insurance problems at the mo so may have to get a 1l, and id choose a Micra, theres 1000's of them on the road, a lot are 14years old, still going strong and dont look that dated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Go for the post '00 model if you can.
    It has a different shape bumper
    More refined, better gearbox and better suspension and more powerful engine
    Don't buy CVT version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Problems with a Micra.
    1. Check the rear brake cylinders. They dont last that well
    2. The clutch is small and doesn't take abuse too well
    3. The timing chain rattles on start up
    4. Check underneath for speed bump scrapes
    5. Check the front inner arches for scrapes from oversize wheels. Big alloys may have been fitted at some time, and big wheels rub at full lock.

We have 2 micras at home. One, a 96 model, we drove for 150,000 miles, and all that went was rear brake cylinders and the clutch went at 120,000 miles. The shocks were changed at 100,000. Its still going. All you have to do is change the oil every 6000 miles. Our 96 model is rather basic (no power steering, cigrette lighter, etc) but the 96 one is quicker than our 00 model as the 00 model doesn't have a rear anti roll bar!

We replaced the 96 model with a 00 model micra, but kept the 96 one, as we want to get 200,000 miles out of it!

Micras will take fierce punishment, and they will do 95mph. I know their top speed, as I did it on a forest track on road tyres! Handling is all right, but can be skittish at the back on the limit over bumps, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Funxy wrote:
    Micra is the one car on the road i despise, whenever i see one i just can't help but cry for the poor person who actually went out and bought it, just how could you :eek:

I bought one, to replace an older one! By the way, when I'm driving, I cant see how ugly it is on the outside, so i dont care. It starts every morning, so it's perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭natnif

I've driven a few of them over the years, my girlfriend has a 93 one and it is bloody nippy for a 1 litre!I got 101mph from a '99 model I was driving for a while!I tell ya she was shaking at that!
    For a starting off car, you won't get better I don't think. You buy them for nothin andf they run forever...what more do you want?!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭DubNside

Any 1 litre will do 100mph. given the right road, coming down from the toll bridge on the M50 towards the Blanch exit is great, i.e downhill with a wind behind you.

Any car really so long as its Japanese will stand up to the test of time! Micras are no exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A micra isn't exactly cool, but anyone saying they're not one of the most reliable cars you can buy doesn't know a whole pile about cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

colm_mcm wrote:
    A micra isn't exactly cool, but anyone saying they're not one of the most reliable cars you can buy doesn't know a whole pile about cars.
    Indeed, I has a 91 micra and its one of the best cars I have ever owned. Reliable cheap to run and very nippy. I don't care if people say they are uncool or a little old ladies car. I am 6ft 4 and I love my micra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 cat in hat

with a micra they clock the clock feck everyboodys opionon just buy it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

I'd vouch for what ianobrien said:
    1. Check the rear brake cylinders. They dont last that well
    2. The clutch is small and doesn't take abuse too well

Other than that you'd be hard pushed to find a more reliable car.

I drove one for a few years (a long time ago) and I did think that the worst part of it was the seats - had back ache after any journey over 15/20 minutes.
    As for the *1.0 litre Nissan Micra speed record* I got 104mph out of a '95 and before anyone asks, yes, it was down a steep hill :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A Yaris would be more reliable than the Micra, but only slightly. than said the Yaris is more comfy, better looking, but in shorter supply and more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote:
    A Yaris would be more reliable than the Micra, but only slightly. than said the Yaris is more comfy, better looking, but in shorter supply and more expensive

Agree with all of that, especially that it is madly more expensive. In the current Irish market, it makes a lot of sense to buy new if you really want a Toyota - a lot of people over here seem to want just that :)

P.S. for any of you that do want to buy a new Toyota, pm colm_mcm - he might give you another €50 off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

We've a micra a 1L 99 for 7 yrs, was my sisters and we bought it off her at 18k. Never really liked them but ended up with it. But I've no real complaints about it. Only problem with it was the rear cylinders leaked about two years ago and the seals needed doing. I suspect the throttle body needs attention now which is another common issue them. Other than just regular services pads etc its needed nothing else, it has about 50k on the clock. We've done a lot of diving in it, I used to commute over the Wicklow mountains in at one point and once you get used to the handling being very light you learn to read the chassis better and you can fairly hussle along. I don't think its great above 65mph though as its light and the wind seems to catch it. Ours is used mainly for heavy city driving and it nice and light for that. I prefer driving it over a bigger car in traffic. The main drawback we find is the boot is tiny on the 2dr and its even smaller on the 4dr.

The Yaris is probably a better car but its a lot more expensive and I suspect Toyota services, parts would be more expensive. I thing the older Yaris is even more ugly than the micra though. The newest model Micra is a lot bigger inside and feels a lot firmer on the road. The earliest ones (of the new model) seem to have dropped a lot in price. If I was buying another similar car I'd probably look towards a diesel one. As I don't think the fuel economy is amazing for a 1L car. But maybe thats my heavy right foot.

Of course with 1L your insurance and tax will be the cheapest you can get. I think many similar cars are 1.1 and 1.2's and it just up the running cost a bit.

unkel wrote:
    Agree with all of that, especially that it is madly more expensive. In the current Irish market, it makes a lot of sense to buy new if you really want a Toyota - a lot of people over here seem to want just that :)...

I think that the banks easy loans on new cars driving that up. Try getting a loan on a 4yrs+ car and the banks are a lot less interested. Look at all the interest they make on a 6yr loan.

UPDATE: Well, I took the ma out on Saturday morning and she's picked out a freshly imported 99 Micra (think it's the newer shape of the previous model as it has the chrome bits around the grill. Looked very clean apart from a couple of bad touch-ups to the paint work, 5-door model, all electric windows, central locking, power steering, air con and only 60K km on the clock. That's a lot of car for a little over four grand!

Where are you looking at imports? Nice spec.

Guy near where I live imports Jap motors. I didn't even know the place was there until I saw the ad in the Trader! Mostly sporty stuff (as no-one wants regular cars as Jap imports any more), but he keeps a few Micras in stock as well. The Micras were mostly automatics, but the ma went for a manual. Like I said, it seems like a lot of car for the money, so fingers crossed it's as good as it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Check that odometer closely. My friend got a '98 March (new import) and it was blatantly clocked - the numbers weren't straight at all! Think it was from some place in Wicklow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

jonny24ie wrote:
    My advice is not to buy a micra!! They are a pain mate!! You would be better getting a Polo, Seat Ibiza!! Far more reliable!!

micra is solid car and would recommend it

DOHC engine with timing chain and good economy. Parts are way cheaper when comparing to Seat or VW

mass flow sensor goes at around 70K but could be reconditioned

in longer run
    rear brakes can leak at 50k
    mass flow sensor goes at around 70K but could be reconditioned
    gearbox bearings could rattle at 100k
    timing chain can get noisy

Advertisement