Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Micra buyer's guide?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

if you think a micra is a car you would consider, ask yourself what is motivating you to think so. you don't need a psychology degree to realise a micra is for a person with very little ambition. for the price of a 00 micra you could have a real car.
    it is a fundamentally bad idea to own such an unsafe, uncomfortable and impracticle car. doing so just advertises to the world that you like to THINK you're saving money while at the same time being blissfully ignorant of the fact that you're probably not.
    get a golf sized car as a MINIMUM

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what planet are you on?

colm_mcm wrote:
    what planet are you on?

earth mate.

I can't see how getting a Golf instead of a Micra is going to save you money.

colm_mcm wrote:
    I can't see how getting a Golf instead of a Micra is going to save you money.

stop tryng to save money at the expense of your quality of life. if you are going to drive, don't risk your life because you MAY save a little money. you may as well drive in style.

let me make my point crystal clear.
    micra €x

same purchase price primera €x+20% max

which is a better deal? if you're that hard up- get the bus- even cheaper.
    i'm not talking about cost i'm talking about VALUE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Let this be a lesson to you all why breathing petrol fumes is bad...

lets all buy the smallest cheapest crappest cars we can possibly dream of (maybe '94 cinquecentos) and this time next year...................

live now mate, you can't take it with you- the country's rich, you may as well go First Class

Don't get me wrong, I drive a big car, but I can't see where you're coming from at all. some people like driving cars, and some people don't think that the higher running costs associated with big cars are worth it, I think you should respect that.

cantdecide wrote:
    lets all buy the smallest cheapest crappest cars we can possibly dream of (maybe '94 cinquecentos) and this time next year...................

live now mate, you can't take it with you- the country's rich, you may as well go First Class

First class being a 1500 quid 325? :D

pristine, powerful, exciting, and your favourite CHEAP
    i'm the one who's laughing.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

you must be very proud.

i am

what peeves me is when people roll out their latest ball of banality and rave about ......the economy of it. goat boy calls it like he sees it- crap car mate:eek:

cantdecide wrote:
    pristine, powerful, exciting, and your favourite CHEAP
    i'm the one who's laughing.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Its cheap to buy, not cheap to run. If money wasn't an issue for you wouldn't be buying it. Personally I would find it a pain with that first gear shunt in traffic. My mates '95 325i was nice on an open road, but in the city it was just annoying. Luckily he works odd hours and didn't do city driving so it wasn't a problem for him. He hated driving it in the traffic and/or city aswell. He had a decent independent to service it aswell, but even that wasn't cheap.

Its cheap to buy, not cheap to run. If money wasn't an issue for you wouldn't be buying it. Personally I would find it a pain with that first gear shunt in traffic. My mates '95 325i was nice on an open road, but in the city it was just annoying. Luckily he works odd hours and didn't do city driving so it wasn't a problem for him. He hated driving it in the traffic and/or city aswell. He had a decent independent to service it aswell, but even that wasn't cheap.

but did he buy a micra????????????????????????????????

would he?????????????????????????????????????????

cantdecide wrote:
    i am - what peeves me is when people roll out their latest ball of banality and rave about ......the economy of it. goat boy calls it like he sees it- crap car mate:eek:

Buy a M3 then if its not about the money.

cantdecide wrote:
    but did he buy a micra????????????????????????????????

would he?????????????????????????????????????????

He has a Fiat Panda and a Porsche.

It Is About The Money. You Buy A Crap Car-with Your Little Money- You End With A.......................crap Car And No Money. Buy A Good One Instead Of A Bad One-they Cost The Same

If someone buys a car eg. 00 Nissan micra for €4,000. it will be very unlikely to break down. it will have 2 airbags, ABS, electric windows, a CD player and remote locking, It will cost €151 a year to tax it, and in 2 years time, it will have lost very little money. Parts are cheap, servicing and tyres are cheap, fuel costs are low, and insurance is low.

How can you argue with that?

cantdecide wrote:
    It Is About The Money. You Buy A Crap Car-with Your Little Money- You End With A.......................crap Car And No Money. Buy A Good One Instead Of A Bad One-they Cost The Same

Your abacus is broken dude. Maybe a few other things aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

cantdecide wrote:
    if you think a micra is a car you would consider, ask yourself what is motivating you to think so. you don't need a psychology degree to realise a micra is for a person with very little ambition.

keep taking pink tablets and read original post again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

cantdecide, you've given me a good laugh, and for that I'm grateful. You shouldn't really be left near a keyboard unsupervised, though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

ianobrien wrote:
    By the way, when I'm driving, I cant see how ugly it is on the outside, so i dont care.

Well Said!

Anyway - Reading through the thread as thinking about a micra myself and Im getting a bit lost!!!!! What has ambition got to do with it? Small budget = Small, basic car not Small Ambition!

What car would people recommend for €1500 to €2500? What's really wrong with the Micra when money IS an object!

The only time I'd hesitate to recommend the micra is if you are doing long journeys on a regular basis and need space for luggage and 4 adults on a regular basis. In which case you should probably pick up an older saloon or bigger hatchback. At that price point condition and reliability is more important than anything else.

Cantdecide is talking about a different scenerio. Where instead of playing extra for a newer old car. Buy cheaper older more interesting car and spend the difference on running it. Only makes sense for someone who's into cars. Most people would prefer the newer car. Obviously with someone with high insurance the difference in running costs is not worth it. Whereas for an older more experienced driver the difference is not so great.

Pity Cantdecide is unable say that without insulting people. :( cause I half agree with him. However on a older bigger more featured car, you can have unexpected big bills and that usually too much of a risk for someone on a tight budget. Parts on small budget cars are generally cheaper. Even things like tyres are cheaper. The bills are cumulative, they all add up!

Ah right! Thanks tempest :D

There was a VW Vento with 29k going >2500 on the boards before. Bit of a dull car, but a cheap one. Tons of space too. Handles like a boat though.

that was my boyfriend's - nice car but too big i thought! he sold it but for only 1500!

Orlee wrote:
    that was my boyfriend's - nice car but too big i thought! he sold it but for only 1500!

True. If you are parking in tight places like underground car parks with tight spaces a large saloon can be awkward. The Micra's a doddle to park even if the bonnet/boot does curve out of your line of vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The only time I'd hesitate to recommend the micra is if you are doing long journeys on a regular basis and need space for luggage and 4 adults on a regular basis. In which case you should probably pick up an older saloon or bigger hatchback. At that price point condition and reliability is more important than anything else.

Cantdecide is talking about a different scenerio. Where instead of playing extra for a newer old car. Buy cheaper older more interesting car and spend the difference on running it. Only makes sense for someone who's into cars. Most people would prefer the newer car. Obviously with someone with high insurance the difference in running costs is not worth it. Whereas for an older more experienced driver the difference is not so great.

Pity Cantdecide is unable say that without insulting people. :( cause I half agree with him. However on a older bigger more featured car, you can have unexpected big bills and that usually too much of a risk for someone on a tight budget. Parts on small budget cars are generally cheaper. Even things like tyres are cheaper. The bills are cumulative, they all add up!

Well said, TempestSabre

good man, it's like you decided it for yourself. you know it makes sense. read back through the topic.

the best analogy-

Shorts instead of trousers- cheap to buy and good on the environment cos they don't consume the earths resources unnecessarily. easy to store cos they're smaller. less wear and tear cos of less material. lower price= less VAT.i mean, where's the downside?

it's pretty useful having my had "up my own a$%e" it kinda gives me license to speak my mind. especially when i have a valid opinion, colm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Catdecide:

People are different. Micras and so forth suit certain people for all the reasons mentioned above except those given by yourself. They are small, cheap to run easy to park, cheap to buy, reliable and as close to a domestic appliance as any car on the road. Personally I hate them, but they suit others to the groud.

If you can't tolerate people not having the same viewpoint as yourself there are particular organisations you can join. Unfortunately there has been something of a clampdown on them since the end of WWII. Austria is a good place to start searching however.

Advertisement