Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite broadband advice

• 26-05-2006 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

I'm new to boards.ie....I'm wondering if someone can give me advice re. satellite broadband...I presume there must be a thread somewhere but I"ve gone back 10 pages with no success.
    I live in west Roscommon,miles from an enabled exchange.It has to be satellite.I'm not a gamer but would like to use limewire (PtoP) now and again.Would this be a problem.The main players seem to be mediasat down in cork and digiweb-does anybody have experience dealing with these companies-good/bad or indifferent?Is there much point in going for the significantly more expensive 1028k speed rather than 512k for the average home user who just wants to browse the net in the evenings?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Thread on digiweb bad experience here.

The caps are fairly restrictive on Satellite net access (I won't call it broadband because it isn't really) so using P2P might not work out so good in the end. I don't know if there are any restrictions placed on the ports to stop you using it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

cxcully wrote:
    The main players seem to be mediasat down in cork and digiweb-does anybody have experience dealing with these companies-good/bad or indifferent?

Correct. Thats your lot in Ireland along with (various names but same thing) Educom aka Orbitlink aka Hughes .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

P2P will rapidly use up your CAP on Satellite. Satellite providers are none to keen on you "hosting". P2P is a form of hosting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

lastmile provide wireless broadband all over midlands including Roscommon.Do a search on boards for some user feedback.Might interest you as an alternative to satellite and their monthly cap for domestic is 10 Gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

eirlink wrote:
    lastmile provide wireless broadband all over midlands including Roscommon.Do a search on boards for some user feedback.Might interest you as an alternative to satellite and their monthly cap for domestic is 10 Gig.

unless you really have to dont go with last mile bb, im with them since oct 05 and at least twice a week the server is down, there customer service is the worst ever, i left 5 messages in three weeks and still no 1 has got back to me.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭cxcully

By the sound of it I'm lucky to have a big hill behind me blocking the lastmile transmitter on the watertower in Ballinlough,Co.Roscommon!Thanks for the advice lads...it's a minefield out there.Lastmile sounded a bit haphazard alright on the phone...don't fancy digiweb from all I've read on boards....don't like having to rent the hardware with Hughes'.....mediasat sounded OK.Anybody with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

i am in a similar position being from Roscommon mediasat home product is only one way you will need a dialup connecting as well only good for downloading still will have dialup speed browsing but their site dosent say anything aboutdowload cap

their business product is two way no dialup required but 100 euro a month
    fast browsing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan 10

Try this one

http://www.teles-skydsl.com/?domain=ie

and search for threads from Netwhizkid on this forum who has it installed and seemed very happy with it

Stan

Advertisement