Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI offers €800,000 carrot for EL merger

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Most of the small parts of the plan are a good idea, I especially like introducing promotion and relegation at the bottom of the first division.

My big objection though is picking in a committee room who should be in the premier division, that should be decided on the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

John_C wrote:
    Most of the small parts of the plan are a good idea, I especially like introducing promotion and relegation at the bottom of the first division.

My big objection though is picking in a committee room who should be in the premier division, that should be decided on the field.
    I think the committee is a done deal, and no one is going to change that. But I'm certainly in favour of spending controls and more prize money.
    I still don't get the involvement of Mr Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Can the FAI be trusted with the running of our league?

johnos wrote:
    I think the committee is a done deal, and no one is going to change that. But I'm certainly in favour of spending controls and more prize money.
    I still don't get the involvement of Mr Sunderland.
    I definately agree with the wage controls and the proposal that the FAI will pay for a marketing person in each club is great. Changing the infrastructure requirements with only a few weeks notice is stupid though, building a stand takes a lot longer than that.

I agree that it's a done deal and Mr Sunderland is there to give the committee an 'independant' look to it. People can say 'Niall Quinn, he's a nice bloke, nothing dodgey going on there.'.

John_C wrote:
    People can say 'Niall Quinn, he's a nice bloke, nothing dodgey going on there.'.
    What's dodgy there is that someone in a critical position in shaping the league has more demonstrated interest in another league.

• Advertisement

blu_sonic wrote:
    After Delaney's Dalymount groundshare debacle, I seriously doubt it, at least from a BFC point of view!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Well, if Cork get into CL this year it will change everything.

800, 000 EURO, that is about 500 000 in real money - its not much to one club nevermind the divison of it ov er several clubs. What we need is invesment in a full time youth academy to keep our teenagers in Ireland. We will soon be as bad as the North at International level if we let the big teams in england destroy our youth. Surely we can manage 1 youth academy?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Niall Quins 90 million could get every El club a All seater stadium and one of them intot he CL every year for the next 5 years, are UCD still giving out those free business degrees?

Nice to see how the FAI attempt to control the league, sooner Kerr and Dolan are back in it the better the voices of reason..........

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

finnpark wrote:
    Well, if Cork get into CL this year it will change everything.

800, 000 EURO, that is about 500 000 in real money - its not much to one club nevermind the divison of it ov er several clubs. What we need is invesment in a full time youth academy to keep our teenagers in Ireland. We will soon be as bad as the North at International level if we let the big teams in england destroy our youth. Surely we can manage 1 youth academy?:confused:
    real money???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

blu_sonic wrote:
    real money???

I guess he means Sterling :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

I guess he means Sterling :)

Or punts. My point is its not very much nowadays especially when the league is heading towards becoming professional. Also as ther e is going to be an all ireland league soon these plans will be up in the air soon again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

KdjaC wrote:
    ...Dolan...the voices of reason..........
    :eek:

The further he stays away from the eL the better, he is only out for one person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Would love to see Dolan becoming Bohs manager in the next day or two, or anyone really for that matter, weighing up the pros and cons I think Dolan would be the best available for Bohs at the moment. Apparently the board are interested in Matthews, would rather have Roddy back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

blu_sonic wrote:

Can the FAI do any worse than current crowd running it? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I was wondering why people are so against this?
    It's not like there is some super managment team in charge of the league?
    And this would bring in extra cash, which would develop it further?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

You see I dont feel confident of seeing the FAI do the unthinkable and do a good job out of this. Some would say they can put the carrot where the sun dont shine.

PHB wrote:
    The league and the FAI are only nominally seperate organisations. We're going to have the same pepole in charge but their going to promise to be less crap at their jobs. It's not a proposal which fills me with optimism for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

KdjaC wrote:
    are UCD still giving out those free business degrees?

[I'm-doing-Commerce-in-UCD-rant]
    Probably not unless they let UCD earn their place in the Premier Division! :D... having a committee to decide it defies belief. It's parallel to having a committee deciding which teams deserved to be in the Premiership in 1993 rather than just having it as the teams who avoided relegation and earned promotion.
    [/rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

bohsman wrote:
    Would love to see Dolan becoming Bohs manager in the next day or two, or anyone really for that matter, weighing up the pros and cons I think Dolan would be the best available for Bohs at the moment. Apparently the board are interested in Matthews, would rather have Roddy back.

Just dont let him near the finances
    and keep an eye on the bench
    me might try to break his 40 man squad record

[I'm-doing-Commerce-in-UCD-rant]

[/rant]

Would you invest 90 million in a championship club with little or nope of even getting half it back?

kdjac

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    All reasonable points. On the whole, it's a step in the right direction. But Quinn's role just doesn't compute.
    A 10th -- less -- of the money he is supposedly channelling into Sunderland would make a world of difference to a club in his home country. What a shame he can't see beyond the English Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

What will happen if we get an All-Ireland league?

What will happen if we get an All-Ireland league?
    The FAI don't really plan more than a year or two into the future so no one's considered it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'd love to see that, but unfortunatly, I don't think it's that probable in the forseeable future. The main reason being we (the two leagues as it stands atm) would lose one or two European qualification spots...

But hopefully an arrangment can be met. (For example in Rugbys celtic league the top 3 Irish and Welsh sides and top 2 Scottish sides qualify for the European cup irrespective of where they finish in the league)

Uefa said in the 90s they would allow both to enter teams in CL for 5 years and national teams to be seperate for 10 or something.

kdjac

I think the Seatanta Cup has shown promising signs, although it is hopelessy weighted in favour of NI teams because of its crude 50-50 composition.
    The latest league proposals clearly envisage a 26-county+one format, but IMO an all-island set-up would be superb and is eventually inevitable.
    In the meantime, one stumbling block already pointed to by the northerners is the fact that we have different seasons, and they are not inclined to give up winter football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I wonder if the subject of an All Island League warrants a seperate thread.

I think more and more people in the NI set up are looking at Summer Soccer as the way forward, especially after the prgress made by our teams (apart from Longford) in Europe.

Many problems need to be overcome though. At recent games involving Northern teams at Tolka Park, people have turned up with the sole intention of singing sectarian songs and inciting trouble. Although they weren't fans of the teams playing in the particular games, I can't see anything but trouble when the likes of Linfield (whose fans were extremely well behaved ) arrive to play.

When Shels played in Belfast in the CL last season it was intimadating to be ushered into The Oval by armed police, whether or not trouble was iminent. This needs to be addressed before any kind of amalgamation is considered. I wouldn't feel safe going to games involving a team from a different tradition if I knew people would be there for the sole intention of starting trouble.

I would say the majority of real football fans on this island would love an All Island League, but the prospect of trouble needs to be addressed before we consider it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

seansouth wrote:
    I think more and more people in the NI set up are looking at Summer Soccer as the way forward, especially after the prgress made by our teams (apart from Longford) in Europe.

:D

more later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Personally, I wouldn't trust the FAI to prganise a pissup in a brewery. But maybe that just me? ;)

Speaking of Shelbourne fans in Belfast... :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPra_Vwns_s&search=shelbourne

The "cage" was just around the corner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

KdjaC wrote:
    Would you invest 90 million in a championship club with little or nope of even getting half it back?
    I don't think you need a student card to know the answer to that question. But then again I would sincerely doubt that very much of the €90m is personal wealth, it would only be loaned by venture capital companies who'd be confident of an eventual return. Whether they'd have the knowledge or foresight to see such potential in an entire, yet minor, league is another matter. They might see a case where €90m invested in a top championship club would turn it into a mid-table Premiership outfit, while €90m building grounds for the EL teams might not necessarily attract people to fill them.

Advertisement