Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless card type

• 26-05-2006 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

My dad bought a new computer the other day and well it arrived. We have a wireless network in our house and my dads old computer connected via a wireless card in the back of the back of the computer. Now when took the wire less card out of the old computer and tried to put it in the new one from dell it physically couldnt fit. Not that all the slots were taken just the slot on the motherboard would accept the old wireless card onto it. I presume Dell may be using a new motherboard and the old Pci slots may not be compatible. I was wonder if anyone had any suggestions for buying a new wire less card and what type to get in order for it to fit into the pc and still work on the old wireless network.

the old wireless card is a Linksys wireless G Pci adapter
    and the computer is a new Dell dimenson 5150c

Possbily I might try to get a usb wireless card?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Should fit OK ... are you sure you're not trying to fit it into a PCIe slot?

EDIT: Are you saying that the edge connector on the card looks totally different to the slot, or that it's just difficult to get the card in? Sometimes it can take a bit of a push, sometimes even the little notch in the middle of the edge connector can be a bit narrow with respect to the bit in the slot that it fits over. I've on occasion had to take a small file to the notch to clean it up / widen it just a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Well the tower is kinda small so theres only one slot it could go into. I'm going to try it again and get back to ya

*a while later*

Yeh tried it again. The card wont physically fit. The indentations in the card itself dont match up with the recieving slot and the slot is too far back to even try forcing it to fit or filin back the notch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

PCI slots are standard, so if it fitted in a pci slot in old pc it will fit in PCI slot in new machine.

Having said that, the 5150c manual seems to suggest that it doesn't have any PCI slots. Only a x16 PCIe and a x1 PCIe slot.

Since you can't fit it in the new Dell, USB is your alternative option. Stick with a linksys one if you can, they're generally the best. Either that or netgear, dlink. Avoid belkin at all costs.

Alun: Filing a slot??? Are you mad??? :confused:

irlrobins wrote:
    PCI slots are standard, so if it fitted in a pci slot in old pc it will fit in PCI slot in new machine.

Having said that, the 5150c manual seems to suggest that it doesn't have any PCI slots. Only a x16 PCIe and a x1 PCIe slot.
    The Dell website says it has 2 PCI slots :confused:
    Alun: Filing a slot??? Are you mad??? :confused:
    No, I'm not mad. I'm talking about the little notch in between the two sets of contacts on the card itself.

Sometimes the tolerances with which the card and/or the slot itself have been made are less than ideal. I've seen some el-cheapo cards where the notch almost looks like it was cut with a chainsaw it's so rough, or is the right size but ever so slightly out of alignment, making it a PITA to insert. A small flat needle file can clean this notch up sufficiently to make it possible to insert ... it's only bloody fibreglass after all. I'm not talking some big bastard rasp file or anything here :)

Will the usb cards still have the same range/quality?

• Advertisement

Alun wrote:
    The Dell website says it has 2 PCI slots :confused:
    2 PCIe slots. Not PCI.

Alun wrote:
    No, I'm not mad. I'm talking about the little notch in between the two sets of contacts on the card itself.
    You're a braver man than me so! ;) Reminds me of that urban legend of the kid who sawed parts off his PCIe graphics card to make it fit in a AGP slot... :p But yea understand where you're coming from.

Exar Khun wrote:
    Will the usb cards still have the same range/quality?
    Should do.

Cheers and good luck with your exams.

mmmm I don't have exams, but cheers! :D

irlrobins wrote:
    2 PCIe slots. Not PCI.
    Oops, my bad ... I was looking at the 5150, not the 5150c. Maybe people should read the specs of things before they buy them ?
    You're a braver man than me so! ;) Reminds me of that urban legend of the kid who sawed parts off his PCIe graphics card to make it fit in a AGP slot... :p But yea understand where you're coming from.
    I've been doing this stuff since before the first IBM PC came out, so I've had my fair share of ill-fitting cards of all flavours .. S-100, ISA, EISA, VLB, PCI .... :) I tell you, you've not seen anything unless you've tried inserting one of the old VLB (Vesa Local Bus) cards ... now they were fun :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Seems mightily unusual for a pc of any type to not have any free pci slots...

well it's the compact version of the 5150 and the typical buyer probably isn't interested in upgrading or expanding it. They'll just replace the whole unit when it starts to crawl.

The only PCI card I have is my Audigy sound card. And you could prob get a PCIe version of that now too. So not a biggie not having PCI slots, as long as you were aware of this BEFORE you bought. ;)

Advertisement