Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

03 Ibiza or 04 Accent

Options
  • 26-05-2006 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

It's always been my plan to buy a Golf next year, and with that in mind, I went and bought an 03 Ibiza last autumn, as I was reliably informed that they kept their value almost as well as the Golf, and that I could end up making a lot more on trade-in against a Golf when I do upgrade.

This was before I realised that second hand car values are going to plummet when the SSIAs mature. I don't plan on getting rid for at least another 12 months, but I figure a lot of places will still be slightly clogged up with second hand motors.

Now my dad has offered a straight swap of his 04 Accent for my car. It has a slightly bigger engine and cost just about the same, and I wonder if I'd be better off keeping my Ibiza for the eventual trade-in. Would there be a noticeable price diff between a 4 year old Ibiza and a 3 year old Accent when I go to trade in next year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

corblimey wrote:
    It's always been my plan to buy a Golf next year, and with that in mind, I went and bought an 03 Ibiza last autumn, as I was reliably informed that they kept their value almost as well as the Golf, and that I could end up making a lot more on trade-in against a Golf when I do upgrade.

This was before I realised that second hand car values are going to plummet when the SSIAs mature. I don't plan on getting rid for at least another 12 months, but I figure a lot of places will still be slightly clogged up with second hand motors.

Now my dad has offered a straight swap of his 04 Accent for my car. It has a slightly bigger engine and cost just about the same, and I wonder if I'd be better off keeping my Ibiza for the eventual trade-in. Would there be a noticeable price diff between a 4 year old Ibiza and a 3 year old Accent when I go to trade in next year?

I'd keep the Ibiza- far superior car- the Hyundai is like driving an early 90s japanese car in comparison.I can't see any advantage in swapping except for your da would no longer have to drive the dreary accent!Perhaps there will be more demand for secondhand cars with the SSIA and used prices may take a boost, espec for more recent cars like yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Keep the Ibiza, the Accent is just nasty. With the new Accent out, prices are currently tumbling even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Keep the Ibiza....far superior car IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

As above. The resale value of the accent will plummet faster than that of the ibiza too, and it'll be harder to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

and it's horrible to drive, noisy, ugly, and uncomfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I agree... I had a 2006 accent for a couple of days when my coupe was in the garage, and it felt like it was going to roll over at every bend, and the driving position just feels ... weird. The 1.3 engine struggles to get from A to B - the 1.25 zetec in my old fiesta would have torn strips off it.

Advertisement