Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland PS3 price questions still unanswered

Options
  • 26-05-2006 1:47pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭

PlayStation 3 price questions for Ireland
    Games Toaster, May 25, 2006

Details on prices and versions of the PlayStation 3 that will apply in the Republic and Northern Ireland are still uncertain...

Weeks ago, Sony offered a “Euro” price of 499/599 euro (20/60GB versions), and last week Ray Maguire MD of SCE UK said the 60GB hard drive version would be £425 UKP. The UK MD gave no price for the lower version that is rumoured not to be available in the UK.

However, this afternoon Sony Computer Entertainment Ireland could not confirm to Games Toaster if either price point could be applied to the south or north of Ireland, saying that they “don't have any further details on this at the moment but as soon as we do, you'll be the first to know”. Like SCE UK, they also couldn’t confirm details of the versions that would be available.

(I hope any questions of shameless self promotion will be ignored as I have posted the main substance of the article above)

Just thought I’d post this as there’s a general feel that the PS3 price for Ireland has been confirmed. Although we know what it’s going to be around, it isnt confirmed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

PS3 will be 625 euro in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Source?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

In one of the columns of the tech pages of the business section of the Irish Times today (I mean, Friday) it said that the PS3 would be “about” 625 euro – I’ll take a wild guess and say that could be his/her source. Or the IT write and the above have the same source...

Such may not be too far off the mark, as a direct conversion from the UK price to euro would be about 620 euro.

correct and as we have historically following uk in console pricing
    and also usually been slighty more expensive than mainland europe
    i would expect 625 euro . sure dont we always pay more for everything:D

£425 = 625 euro approx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Blah.. unless you really want a Blu-Ray player there's no point in buying this console for a year. Just wait till there's a decent pricecut. They're just launching at that price because they know the first 10 million will sell to geeks. They wouldn't even need any launch games to sell the first 10 million.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Slap another 15 quid WEEE on top of that 625 too maybe...any word on a rough price for titles?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Ah thats a joke - might cancel the preorder now then.

Eurozone my testicles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Wertz wrote:
    any word on a rough price for titles?
    id say games will be the same price as 360's, 70-80eur in bricks 'n mortar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I have this nasty feeling we're going to be looking at even more expensive prices for PS3 games than even the 360. I really wouldn't be surprised if Sony charged €90-100 for what they deem to be their triple-A titles, they're that arrogant, if they don't think paying in the region of €650 for a console is excessive; they'll think nothing of the €100 game. Oh and whatever price the PS3 is launched for in the EU, just add €25 or so for Ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Is VAT going to play an issue as with the 360 launch? If it is, and a direct conversion from Sterling is 620, I'd say we're looking at close to 650 :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

flogen wrote:
    Is VAT going to play an issue as with the 360 launch? If it is, and a direct conversion from Sterling is 620, I'd say we're looking at close to 650 :O

The prices quoted include VAT. edit - oh, I see you mean specifically about irish VAT..I don't know, I don't buy that excuse for higher prices versus the continent.

I don't know why they'd convert from the UK price. A Euro price has been announced, and we're in the eurozone. Of course, that didn't stop us paying more than anywhere else for 360 or DSLite now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

LookingFor wrote:
    I don't know why they'd convert from the UK price. A Euro price has been announced, and we're in the eurozone. Of course, that didn't stop us paying more than anywhere else for 360 or DSLite now :rolleyes:
    Apparently because we drive on a different side of the road compared with the rest of Yorap, oh hang on, wrong forum.

sceptre wrote:
    Apparently because we drive on a different side of the road compared with the rest of Yorap, oh hang on, wrong forum.

It's 'Youp'.

And as you know, we're not real Yurpeens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

"Sony offered a “Euro” price of 499/599 euro"

thats yur answer there folks €499/599, were in europe right? so thats the price.
    No extra price hike for Ireland thanks.

"this afternoon Sony Computer Entertainment Ireland could not confirm to Games Toaster if either price point could be applied to the south or north of Ireland" :o

"Sony offered a “Euro” price of 499/599 euro"

thats yur answer there folks €499/599, were in europe right? so thats the price.
    No extra price hike for Ireland thanks.

That's just the thing, MS offered a Euro price, we paid a tenner or so extra.. why? VAT, apparently.

I agree with LookingFor that it's a terrible excuse, but it's one that most people seemed to accept last Christmas, given the fact that 360's were like gold dust across Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I'd be much more interested in learning what they intend to charge for the memory cards/controllers/other peripherals and most importantly, the games. Lagune threw out a ballpark guess of 90-100. Well Sony can kiss my arse if they think I'm willing to pay that.

Was the VAT thing put on by the government or whoever the VAT people are these days or was it some scam run by the shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Euro VAT Rates - for those who care this is the order (most expensive to cheapest) that the PS3 would likely be if the only difference was VAT Rates. In fairness, Ireland isn't exactly near the bottom!
    Country VAT Rate
    Denmark 25.00%
    Sweden 25.00%
    Iceland 24.50%
    Norway 23.00%
    Finland 22.00%
    Belgium 21.00%
    Ireland 21.00%
    Austria 20.00%
    Italy 20.00%
    France 19.60%
    Netherlands 19.00%
    Greece 18.00%
    United Kingdom17.50%
    Portugal 17.00%
    Germany 16.00%
    Spain 16.00%
    Luxembourg 15.00%
    Switzerland 7.50%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

grimloch wrote:
    I'd be much more interested in learning what they intend to charge for the memory cards/controllers/other peripherals and most importantly, the games. Lagune threw out a ballpark guess of 90-100. Well Sony can kiss my arse if they think I'm willing to pay that.

Was the VAT thing put on by the government or whoever the VAT people are these days or was it some scam run by the shops?

Yeah exactly, the console is very expensive as it is, I was considering a 360 but then seeing the games cost 70 or 80 euros, to hell with that, I'll stick with my Ps2 for the moment. Likewise, Sony will be expecting to make back cash from the PS3 which will be sold as a loss. Prices will be at least as much as 360 games, likely 10 quid more I would say.

I'll get a Wii. A PS3 and two games, an extra controller and memory card will run close to a grand. That's a very nice holiday.

grimloch wrote:

You won't need a memory card.

I don't know about controllers yet, but if say you want a new bigger HDD, you can pick up any standard HDD to use. Sony is being far less proprietary where possible now - PS3 is pretty "open" for a console as far as extending and upgrading it is concerned.

• Advertisement

LookingFor wrote:
    You won't need a memory card.

Yes, that was daft of me. But my point about the controllers still stands. Knowing those gits they'll just give us the one with the console.

grimloch wrote:
    Yes, that was daft of me. But my point about the controllers still stands. Knowing those gits they'll just give us the one with the console.

One is pretty standard! That silver PS2 was the only console I can remember that came with two.

LookingFor wrote:
    One is pretty standard! That silver PS2 was the only console I can remember that came with two.

The original playstation for starters, my SNES, the Sega Mega Drive I think. I'm not too sure about the more modern consoles. It matters much more when it's all this wireless toss that costs 50 euros a piece though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yup, got my PS1 with 2 controllers in the xmas season back in '97.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Every console since has had 1 AFAIK. I know the Dreamcast, Gamecube, N64, PlayStation2 and Xbox 360 have all had just one.

I can't see why the PS3 would have two. Sony find it hard enough to give four controller ports most of the time. They usually want ya to buy a multi-tap.

NES came with two (well, the action pack did!)

The Xbox Limited edition green (and the crystal too) came with two.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They've all mostly had 1 at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So €625 for the console? Add in two games - most likely at €70 - a second joypad, €40 and you'll end up paying the guts of €800. You can buy a mid-level gaming standard PC for that. Sony can stick it up their arse.

no console since the NES has had more than one controller in its basic pack
    (bundles ,limited editions and pink+green striped versions not included!)

SNES had 1 ( the 2 controller streetfighter2 pack released later is probably what your thinking of tho - i remember drooling at it in the virgin megastore......:rolleyes: )

megadrive had 1

• Advertisement

BOHSBOHS wrote:
    no console since the NES has had more than one controller in its basic pack
    (bundles ,limited editions and pink+green striped versions not included!)

My bog standard PS1 came with two.
    So €625 for the console? Add in two games - most likely at €70 - a second joypad, €40 and you'll end up paying the guts of €800.

This is a nice summation but I'd say he's being a bit conservative with the price of both games and a controller. The fact of the matter is that 600 or whatever gets you little more than a fancy paperweight.

Advertisement