Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savoury Rice - Homemade

• 26-05-2006 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

For years i used to eat that Savoury Rice you get in a packet, but having gotten older i realised how unhealth it is. So i started to make my own.

I bascially boil up some basmati rice, dry fry mushrooms, blanch brocolli, feck it all into a bowl and throw in a splash of soy sauce. Hey presto its much healthier (although rather tastless at times).

Anyway has anyone got any ideas to make it a little tastier as i am SO bored with the above recipe.

Also d ya know that spicy rice with the sultanas you get in a salad bar. Any ideas how to make it n wot you add to it..

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I make this Savoury Golden Vegetable rice recipie a lot:

1 carrot, cut into small dice
    2 large cloves of garlic, chopped
    2 onions, chopped
    2 sticks celery, cut into small dice,
    1 red pepper, cut into small dice,
    A handful of frozen peas,
    Basmati rice,
    1 vegetable stock cube,
    1 bayleaf,
    Mixed herbs.
    1/2 tsp Turmeric
    1 tablespoon of vegetable oil

1) Fry onion and garlic in oil until softened, then add celery/carrot and continue to stir for 1/2 minutes
    2) Add rice and stir, allowing rice to get coated in the oil
    3) Add enough water to cover rice/vegetable mix
    4) Crumble stock cube into water, add bayleaf and mixed herbs (if dried - if using fresh, add close to the end).
    4) Stir continously, adding more water as nessecary.
    5) After about 5 minutes, stir in chopped pepper
    6) Continue to cook the rice for a further 2/3 minutes, then add frozen peas and cook for a further 3 minutes

By adding the water slowly, and allowing it to absorb you can judge just how much to put in, as you don't want to end up draining the rice. There should be just enough added in each time to keep it moist, but not drowning in liquid. The great thing about this recipie is that is is so versitile. It goes with a lot of stuff, and can also be eaten on it's own (to which I normally throw some other vegetables in to bulk it up).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Clár

That sounds excellent thanks, i have most of those ingredients. I will try it out tonight if im not 2 hungry for me dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I hope it worked out ok. For anyone else who might stumble across this, the turmeric can be omitted without much of an impact on the taste, but it does make the dish a more attractive golden colour.

Advertisement