Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we please remove ni.mp from the ** list?

Options
  • 26-05-2006 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭

er, can nimp in the censor list please be changed to nimp.org or something? trying to type unimportant (or u****ortant if you're not crafty like me) is well irritating.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

So you want to post u****eded?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

afaik in vB, if you enter the word as {ni.mp} in the censor box, it only does the word ni.mp as it is, so the likes of un.important, dont get censored.

Or as vB puts it:
    Type all words you want censored in the field below. Do not use commas to separate words, just use spaces. For example, type "dog cat boy", rather than "dog, cat, boy."

If you type "dog", all words containing the string "dog" would be censored (dogma, for instance, would appear as "***ma"). To censor more accurately, you can require that censors occur only for exact words. You can do this by placing a censor word in curly braces, as in {dog}. Signifying "dog" in the curly braces would mean that dogma would appear as dogma, but dog would appear as "***". Thus your censor list may appear as: cat {dog} {barn} barn

Do not use quotation marks and make sure you use curly braces, not parentheses, when specifying exact words.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It has to be censored or that website will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

yes, but why nimp on its own? if .org is tagged onto the end of it, it will still prevent that url being used, but allow proper english words.

Good point. I'll pm Regi.

• Advertisement

&#231 wrote: »
    yes, but why nimp on its own? if .org is tagged onto the end of it, it will still prevent that url being used, but allow proper english words.

Yeah, then if its done the normal way every .org web address will be censored

all regi has to do is put {nimp} in as shown, get him to put in {timecop} and {last measure} also if he hasn't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I just read up on this whole issue, all I can say is some people have too much time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

URL forwards, and services like tinyurl.com make the censoring quite pointless anyway (Granted, so far, the links have been obvious). A Boards-wide brain transplant, or announcement stating the obvious may prove more effective.

Unimportant.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Gordon wrote:
    Unimportant.
    no u.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

ah well, it was a vaguely unimportant issue anyway...

Unimportant smunimportant.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So why are old "unimportant"s still censored. I though the censoring was live, i.e. it doesn't change the database.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Victor wrote:
    So why are old "unimportant"s still censored. I though the censoring was live, i.e. it doesn't change the database.
    I'd assume the processing overhead in doing something like that would be absolutely shocking, especially given boards' 50 queries a second (?) or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Yeah, but when nimp was put in, old unimpoortants were (afaik) changed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

quit livin' in the past, maaan.

Victor wrote:
    Are you nimptopsical?! Either way I think it's a nonimpact quirk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

maybe if .on.nimp was censored

Advertisement