Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to basics for armchair cyclists - On yer bike ye bums!

Options
  • 26-05-2006 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭

Howaya lads,

Want to share a word of two of encouragement with my fellow lazy arsed bastids who keep making excuses as to why they don't cycle any more....

When I was a kid I had a Raleigh Ravine which was upgraded over the course of the 4 years I owned and rode it. I travelled everywhere on it. It was a cracking little bike and was sold when it had covered possibly close to 20k. After that, beer, buses and taxis became the order of the day along with increasingly frequent smokes in the pub etc. A few years back I bought a Trek 4300 on a whim to use for commuting the work with the idea that I'd upgrade the componentry in bits and pieces, as I had the cash to spare, and maybe go out for a spin once in a while at the weekends.

Well, I was a heavy smoker. And with a car sitting in the driveway the bike only saw very, very occasional use. So it remained until just last month now that I've quit smoking (4 months) and felt healthy enough to go out for a few 2 hour road rides. I then decided to spend the cash I've saved ( €300 a month - 30 smokes a day) on upgrading the bike instead....MX Comps, Deore Groupset, Light wheels & tyres , controls etc. That felt good in itself - I like new toys!

I haven't been offroad on a bike in years until last night when I went for a spin up the hellfire club/montpellier hill and through masseys estate for an hour, for old times sakes and for a gentle enough reintroduction. What a blast! I'd completely forgotten just how much fun it was ripping down through forest paths after a lung-aching fast climb to the top. Yeah, I'm sitting a little more upright than I used to, for my shoulders sake....Yeah, I was slower than ever before I'm sure....But....

What a hoot. So, get off your arse and get on your bike. You'll not regret it - Unless you crash and break your arm, but it'll be worth it. Trust me.... :D

Anyway, all this got me thinking....There have to be others who don't want to go cycling (yet) with the uber-fit XC hounds around Dublin but might enjoy starting out a little slower paced with some like minded unfit couch pilots once a week. Anyone have any ideas? I'm living in Dundrum area and have 2 spaces free on the bike rack if anyone's up for it.

Gil
    Reformed Armchair Cyclist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

I too gave up the smokes recently and it has really increased my endurance. I also get my breath back quicker.

It's not nice at the beginning, but its SOOOOO WORTH IT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

If you're talking about a weekly spin, count me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭liamo333

Me too i've jus got my summer holidays 3 months of freedom.Yippi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Right lads,

Drop me a PM with your mobile numbers and evenings when you're available and we'll get something going.

Cheers,

Gil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Fair play Gil Dub, keep it up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

:O

wow...I'm the same about to start cycling again ( well, I never really started properly..and I live in the dudnrum area too...interesting coincidence :O )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

Did anyone end up heading out? I'm going to be going out with a few people tomorrow at 12. Meeting at the Gala shop, anyone welcome. There's parking there. Pace will be easy.

I'd love to but I'm off in Wickow doing something tomorrow - Won't be back 'til late afternoon to go for a spin. Maybe next week if you're going out again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Hey, only saw this now, I'd be up for something. I've actually been cycling regularly for a fair while (about 7 years), but it's pretty much just been commuting to school/college. I'd definitely be interested in heading out, as long as you go easy on me and my el cheapo €200 quid bike :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭cormon

like blowfish I only just saw this now , I m only new to MTBing and would be defo up for this . Have ye got anything regular going . I 'm northside and would give anyone a lift over who needs one

thks

• Advertisement

Tuesday night has actually turned out to be the only night I can get out regularly. Wouldn't mind a spin with a few heads every now and then, just not in a club (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭no leaf clover

no1 around north kildare no!?? darn...hehe id love to go for a few group spins,

Advertisement