Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shevchenko to leave Milan

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

spockety wrote:
    It'll be interesting to see Shevchenko getting the legs hacked off him by Bolton type defenders up Norf' in the depths of an English winter.

Try hack the legs off him.

He's played in italy. something tells me hes well used to having the legs hacked off him.

Depths of english winter? That worse then a ukraine one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Waste of money at least he's unproven over 7 seasons and struggles to score goals.*

*bitterness completly unrelated to sig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

He has lost alot of his pace and this was evident from his performances over the last 2 season..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

spockety wrote:
    It'll be interesting to see Shevchenko getting the legs hacked off him by Bolton type defenders up Norf' in the depths of an English winter.
    Why so? :) Those types comments are usually reserved for high profile players joining the SPL. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    I think it's great news.
    Gotta love the blind optimism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

I think a lot of the comments regarding players adapting to the 'physicality' of the English game are rubbish. It's not as if they never were involved in scrappy, hard hitting matches, particularly when they played at lower levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'm looking forward to seeing him in the EPL but I just don't like watching Chelsea play they're boring football.

Chelsea were strong enough before they bought him to win the PL again this year....Jose wants the CL. Although handing over £30m to AC Milan, one of their biggest rivals will only help to strengthen their team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

spockety wrote:

And of course playing the likes of Torino in the alps mid jan with -10 on the gage is the life of riley! The English winter myth is only something for the south americans and spanish players. Northern Italy (where he has played for 7 years!) has much harsher winters than England and the Italian defenders know how to kick you round a pitch a lot better than their prem counterparts...

Also I'm sure playing in -20 in Kiev wasn't exactly easy either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

iregk wrote:
    And of course playing the likes of Torino in the alps mid jan with -10 on the gage is the life of riley! The English winter myth is only something for the south americans and spanish players. Northern Italy (where he has played for 7 years!) has much harsher winters than England and the Italian defenders know how to kick you round a pitch a lot better than their prem counterparts...

Also I'm sure playing in -20 in Kiev wasn't exactly easy either!

agreed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Great to have a player of his undoubted quality in the PL but is 30+ million not a lot to pay for a player who is 30 in 2 months? I think it is great business for Milan and a risk for Chelsea, remember Veron was top notch in Italy and used to the temperatures and kicking but what a flop in the PL!!!

So who knows, a lot of big players who scored bags of goals & had big reputations on the Continent have come and gone from the PL with their tail between their legs, Veron, Cisse, Morientes, Drogba, Forlan (no proving himself) but to name a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I still think those top quality players who never made it in the prem are better FOOTBALLERS than those in the prem hacking their legs down....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Also works the other way though. Players who were dynamite in England couldn't hack it in spain or Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

One thing going for shev with adapting is that he came from Dinamo Kiev initially, where i'm sure you had to be a little tough to play.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

cheesedude wrote:
    I still think those top quality players who never made it in the prem are better FOOTBALLERS than those in the prem hacking their legs down....

True as true can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

He's not exactly skinny and he has bags of pace, I can't see him not adapting. The guy is a world beater....unfortunately...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

To be honest I don't blame Shevchenko for leaving, you could see at the press conference that he didn't want to do it, and he's not doing it for money.
    His wife is american, she doesn't speak ukrainian, he doesn't speak english, so they comunicate in italian.
    She wants he son to grow up speaking english (don't know why) and she is a personal friend of abromivich's wife, she she preasured her husband into moving to london.

He'll be missed my milan, and lads, don't fool your selves thinking he'll flop, chelsea just wrapped up the PL for another 3 years atleast, the man is legend.

Advertisement