Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling shorts

Options
  • 26-05-2006 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Right, Im comfused. I bought a pair of canondale cycling shorts today with that padded thing for saddle pleasure:p

Whats the story with underwear??? I was wearing boxers when I tried them on, and OH MY GOD HOW UNCOMFORTABLE!!!

Are you not supposed to wear anything or what? Im going up the wicklw mountains tomo, so I need to know soon.

Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Enduro

No, you're not supposed to wear them with underwear.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

Are you just saying that?:p Am I gonna be free and easy tomorrow for no good reason???:eek: :D:p:) :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

Don't wear underwear. Otherwise it just gets nasty.
    There are free roaming pants police that conduct random spot checks. They stop riders and have a look down their shorts. If they don't see your tinkler then they push you into the nearest bush and sort the problem out by hand.
    You have been warned!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

:eek: Sir yes sir! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭N05H3AD

:eek: Sir yes sir! :eek:

just make sure you wash them after each ride coz they are not like boxers where you can turn them inside out or wear them back 2 front! :D:):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭aftermathcrew

i wear them playing soccer.they are uncomfortable alright.without boxers mate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

you can always wear boxers over them if you don't like everyone being able to make out your dangley bits
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭N05H3AD

silverside wrote:
    you can always wear boxers over them if you don't like everyone being able to make out your dangley bits

oh right because then you won't attract attention to yourself!!:p !!:D !!:) !!:D !!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

yeah but at least the superman approach stops old dears eyeing you up when you visit your mam. Don't laugh - On Sunday I dropped by to see the old pair and had my mam's two friends trying to prod me down there to check if the bulge was real!!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

I hope your mams two friends were 20 somethings, cos trying to exlain why you were bulging at the time seems a bit, well, scary.

• Advertisement

haha! no they're about 60 but I'm not ageist... anyway c'mon, in cycle shorts you don't have to be 'excited' to bulge - there's always a bit of a bulge! - even on a cold day... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Anyone know where to get cycle shorts in Cork? I'v popped into some of the generic big name sports shops but no luck. Any one know of a decent bike shop that sells em?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

N05H3AD wrote:
    just make sure you wash them after each ride coz they are not like boxers where you can turn them inside out or wear them back 2 front! :D:):D

You can wear boxers 4 times without washing
    - Backwards
    - Forwards
    - Insideout backwards
    - Insideout forwards
    :eek:

Bacchus wrote:
    Anyone know where to get cycle shorts in Cork? I'v popped into some of the generic big name sports shops but no luck. Any one know of a decent bike shop that sells em?

Don't know Cork - but here's a good place to start... :D

http://www.goldenpages.ie/search.ds?newSearch=true&what=bicycles&where=Cork&x=18&y=15

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Bacchus wrote:
    I bought my Specialized mtn bike shoes from Harding Cycles in Cork.
    According to Golden Pages, the contact details are: Harding Cycles, 19 Rutland st, Cork, (021) 432-1133
    (I searched "Bicycles" category, "Cork" location; there were other shops listed too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

silverside wrote:

lol..:D i will try that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Bacchus wrote:

There is a shop in victoria cross (around the corner from the county hall, if you're not too familiar) with a some nice gear. He has altura mtb shorts which I found good the last time I brought some back from the UK.

I hadn't been there since it was very small but it's much expanded now. Also it's the first bike shop in cork I've seen to have a catalogue of all the different gear he stocks or can get for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

yeesh, don't wear the skin tight ones, get trendeee baggy shorts. The have the skin tight pair on the inside, essentially, but look a whole lot nicer.

Gav

Verb wrote:
    yeesh, don't wear the skin tight ones, get trendeee baggy shorts.

When did baggy shorts get trendy?! I associate them with crusty cycle couriers who wear their hair in braids... :D

Theres nothing wrong with tight shorts if you want to ride fast! or is the thought of girls being able to assess your 'meat 'n two veg' that worries you? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

just make sure you don't buy red shorts, black are better as you can see from these images

• Advertisement

oh dear.

The skin tight shorts are a fashion faux pas. They are not attractive. Now I'm not particularly concerned about being attactive on my bicycle, I do wear a helmet, but there are some lines I won't go over.

I also do not wear tights when it's cold. I usually wear my shorts no matter the weather. If I'm feeling like a girly boy, I'll go for the courier style alright and wear loose short trousers with knee high socks.

Skin tights, euuuu. Fine for a race. Commuting or casual cycling, no way José

Gav

Verb wrote:
    oh dear.

The skin tight shorts are a fashion faux pas. They are not attractive. Now I'm not particularly concerned about being attactive on my bicycle, I do wear a helmet, but there are some lines I won't go over.

I also do not wear tights when it's cold. I usually wear my shorts no matter the weather. If I'm feeling like a girly boy, I'll go for the courier style alright and wear loose short trousers with knee high socks.

Skin tights, euuuu. Fine for a race. Commuting or casual cycling, no way José

Gav

Euuuuu!! lookout it 's the fashion police... you sound like Trinnie wossname on 'What not to Wear' :D

Dunno what the big deal is! Whatcha afraid of?! I'm no George Clooney, but jaysus I reckon ye guys must have body esteem issues ;)

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree !

Ask a selection of ladees next time you are out and about what their opinion of skin tighties is.

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Verb wrote:
    Ask a selection of ladees next time you are out and about what their opinion of skin tighties is.

LOL, try ladies you know maybe. Swaggering up to ladies in the park and asking what they think of your lycra shorts carries the risk being called a perv, or having your self esteem crushed!

I use lycra for road rides. For off road mucking about I use proper mtb baggies with built in liner, or cheapo lycra with cut off combats over them.

For commuting I would probably avoid the skin-tights myself. I don't mind being seen on the bike with lycra, but if I pop into the shop or a pub I prefer to be wearing baggies! Combats/cargo shorts are great for holding wallet and phone.

cargrouch wrote:
    LOL, try ladies you know maybe. Swaggering up to ladies in the park and asking what they think of your lycra shorts carries the risk being called a perv, or having your self esteem crushed!

I use lycra for road rides. For off road mucking about I use proper mtb baggies with built in liner, or cheapo lycra with cut off combats over them.

For commuting I would probably avoid the skin-tights myself. I don't mind being seen on the bike with lycra, but if I pop into the shop or a pub I prefer to be wearing baggies! Combats/cargo shorts are great for holding wallet and phone.

yeah true! the jury is split on this - and I did once ask a bunch of girls I worked with for an opinion - it was about 40% in favour and 60% against.
    Interestingly enough, there was a trend here - the girls who liked them were deffo right old tarts... :D

Having said that - I wouldn't wear them in a shop or pub!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

Verb wrote:
    I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree !

Gav

Do you ask the opinion of a woman about everything you do or wear?

If someone is on the bike doing a bit of serious-cycling then proper shorts are the gear to be doing it in. These shorts are primarily for specific performance and comfort benefits so who gives a damn what a selection of 'ladees' might think.

Do you ask the opinion of a woman about everything you do or wear?

If someone is on the bike doing a bit of serious-cycling then proper shorts are the gear to be doing it in. These shorts are primarily for specific performance and comfort benefits so who gives a damn what a selection of 'ladees' might think.

Sheesh, keep your lycra on there mate. I agreed with that above
    Fine for a race. Commuting or casual cycling, no way José

Believe it or not, fashon does have a role in sports wear. I'm not going to get hung up on it, I ain't quite that superficial, but part of being comfortable on a bike is feeling like I don't look like an idiot.

I commute through the city center, for me, baggy cycling shorts (which suit my specific performance and comfort needs) do the job much better than lycra.

So how's about you tone it down and leave the aggression at home, everyone else on this thread was able to keep amicable and tongue in cheek about it.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

I commute thru the city center every day and lyrca shorts are my preference. No flapping around in the breeze, no wind up your jaxi and no snagging on the end of the saddle when you're up and down every 10 seconds. Its a commute, not a fashion statement.

So... no contest...

I wear cycling baggy shorts. As I said, they have the correct lining on the inside, the only wind around my nether regions is self generated.

No catching on saddles(I sit on the saddle, I ain't up and down every 10 mins), no blowing in the wind (I'm not wearing a skirt).

IMO (IN MY OPINON) lycra short are ugly. I can get something as functional without the ugliness, so I do !

Gav

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Seems like it was just a case of a wánky response to a wánky comment. To infer someones tone or agressiveness from a post on a message board takes some doing, or else telepathy. Just because you might be nicely jovial and tounge-in-cheek dosen't mean that everyone else must be. In fact, couldn't your sudden swing from mirthful to defensive posting may be interpreted as an inverted aggression?

oh yeah, the more panels on the shorts, the better.

Advertisement