Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling shorts

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

el tel wrote:
    Seems like it was just a case of a wánky response to a wánky comment. To infer someones tone or agressiveness from a post on a message board takes some doing, or else telepathy. Just because you might be nicely jovial and tounge-in-cheek dosen't mean that everyone else must be. In fact, couldn't your sudden swing from mirthful to defensive posting may be interpreted as an inverted aggression?

oh yeah, the more panels on the shorts, the better.

Language is used to communicate, the medium of that language is irrespective of the tone intended, ergo the fact that it is a message board is irrelevant. The use of the expletive 'damn', which whilst mild, does incur a certain degree of aggression. I certainly don't expect all posters to be as witty as my jovial self, however I do expect a certain mannerly response without unprompted aggression.

I'm afraid I am not familiar with the term 'inverted aggression', forgive my ignorance, so if I respond incorrectly, I apologise. I don't deny defending my point, however this defense was prompted whereas the original posters attack was not.

You're right though on the panels.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

I shall fix this!
    Pants pants pants pants pants pants pants pants pants
    pants pants
    pants pants pants
    pants
    pants pants pants pants pants!

Now all better.
    I used to be a baggys with lycra beneath kinda guy, but the recent warm spell has converted me to leave the baggys behind in an effort to stay cooler for longer. If anything I'd say my riding off road has improved, no longer do I risk catching cloth on the nose of the saddle nor do I run the risk of landing on the pocket with the keys I forgot to take out eariler before I hit the trails.
    I don't feel more vunerable in the skin tight lycra anymore, if anything I am riding better. Jumping with a high saddle with the fork locked down is great fun.

And then just the other day I had to do a bit of a road spin, so on went the baggys, minus the lycra that is lost somewhere in the wash. Restrictive. Uncomfortable. Clammy. Irritating. I felt like I no longer was wearing my Pampers. It was plain nasty.

So I am converted. And I don't give a fook what the ladies think, I am not cycling to impress a stranger, even one vaguley pretty looking. Try it without the baggies, you will feel naked at first, then wonderfully free. A bit like skinny dipping, only without the shrinkage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

You're right Verb and I like how you put it.

I'd personally only wear skin shorts when I'm on my racing bike. A rule of thumb (I've just devised there now:D) is that padded lyrca shorts should only be worn in conjunction with cycling shoes and a cycling top. In anyother guise they're just too groovy. At the weekend I saw a guy wearing a pair of lyrca "Call on Me" lycra shorts, a sloppy joe and a pair of dirty great big super-jumps pushing his 'racer' through Portadown. Now fair play to the fella for being out there doing it, but boy did he look rare. I'm not a fashion victim by any means* but I'd rather not look like Dwayne Dibbly.

*I have been caught a few times admiring my reflection as I cycle past shop windows...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

haha, I like how mockerydawg puts it.

Admiring fashionable things on a bicycle is dangerous alright. I glanced at some bird on my way home through clonskeagh and clobbered a stupid men-at-work sign. It was embarrassing.

I have almost been persuaded to purchase a pair o lycras for 'special' occasions.

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

What's the difference between ladies cycling shorts and men's?
    Is there a difference in the padding design/shape?

Edit:
    Allow me to clarify.
    If you bought cycling shorts online (and they're the only ones you own) how would you know if you've been given a pair of male or female shorts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Well look what DonkeyR started! isn't it funny though how tight shorts, and funnily enough, Speedo swim trunks seem to create such a debate - there's a theme here! some lads don't like to, erm, set out their stall... :eek:

I go with MockeryD on this too - once you go lycra, it's hard to go back - I've a pair of Specialized baggies that I haven't worn in a long time - I got to the point where the comfort and freedom from jangling keys, moby etc, overrode the convenience of pockets.
    jman0 wrote:
    how would you know if you've been given a pair of male or female shorts?

If they're a bit 'Mansion House'* they're probably ladies... I'd say the panelling would give it away though and they're probably tighter round the waist perhaps?

* i.e. no Ballroom facilities... :D

Advertisement