Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New 120kph speed limit on N2 Dual Carriagway

Options
  • 27-05-2006 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

I saw this article on the Irish Independent.
    DUAL-CARRIAGEWAY speeds increased yesterday on the day the Taoiseach pleaded with drivers to slow down to cut road carnage.

The new €231m N2 route through Co Meath yesterday became the first dual-carriageway in the country to have a speed limit of 120kph, it was learned.

This is 20kph more than the speed limit on all other dual-carriageways . . . and the same as on a motorway.

The Irish Independent has also exclusively learned that the National Roads Authority (NRA) is planning to introduce similar speed increases on dual-carriages nationwide.

These are located along the big inter-urban routes from Dublin to Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford.

The proposed higher speed limits will affect both existing and planned new dual-carriageways.

Only those dual-carriageways which have freeflow junctions, on-off interchanges, no roundabouts or traffic lights, or right hand turns will have their speeds increased.

I am just wondering what everyone thinks of the new speed limit and where else it may be applied?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Cormic wrote:
    I am just wondering what everyone thinks of the new speed limit and where else it may be applied?

N25 Midleton - Cork

N25 Ballincollig Bypass

N8 Mitchelstown - Cork

They seem to be putting bigger gantry signs on the N25, hopefully this is why!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Hopefully the Arklow bypass will be upgradedd to 120K. Great section of road. Speed limit to low. The Gardai have a field day there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Thats great news, there finally getting something right.
    Some of them dual carraige ways are as good if not better than motorways. 80kph/50mph is way too low, stupidly low on dual carraigeways. In fact, its laughable. The min they should be is 100kph/60mph.
    DUAL-CARRIAGEWAY speeds increased yesterday on the day the Taoiseach pleaded with drivers to slow down to cut road carnage.
    Typical bull**** headlines taken out of context. You`d swear the increase was to 200mph on a backroad the way some paper/people report.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Confuse the average Irish (ignorant and incompetent) driver even more...

N2 dual carriageway (non-motorway) = 120km/h
    M50 south stretch (motorway) = 100km/h

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I thought it was on 4 commuter (clogged) arteries around Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

cabinteely bypass just before esso station going southbound - 60 kph.
    kilmacanogue dual carriageway just before the shell station southbound - 60kph

these here cause more accidents than they prevent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Cormic wrote:
    I am just wondering what everyone thinks of the new speed limit

My thinking anyway would be along the lines of "about bloody time"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Limerick to Shanon at 120kph would be an improvement. It'll be extended to Ennis shortly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

Cremo wrote:
    kilmacanogue dual carriageway just before the shell station southbound - 60kph

these here cause more accidents than they prevent.

Actually I think the 60 Kph is an acceptable speed outside the Shell at Kilmac as many people don't seem to know how to merge with traffic after coming out of the Shell station.

If you want to increase the speed limit there the I believe the best thing to do is to force all traffic from the Shell station up and down the ramps for the bridge.

The one that should go is the 80kph limit at the Glen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Closing this thread as there is one on exactly the same topic here

Mike.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement