Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another new build thread!

Options
  • 27-05-2006 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm hopeing to build a new PC in the next few weeks, and was wondering if i could get some opinions on this spec?
    • AMD 64 X2 4200 , 1MB cache
    • Asus A8R Mobo
    • 2GB Crucial Ballistix (PC 4000) I know it'll only run at PC3200 speeds, long story :p
    • Tagan Easycon 430W
    • Cooler Master Centurion 5 Black/Silver

Any opinions on the above? Not sure about the Mobo and also i need a graphics card around the €250 mark, preferably ATI. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

The ATi's have dropped in price on overclockers.co.uk

AMD have launched their AM2 socket now, so it may be wise to consider that, so you're open to upgrades in the future. It also uses DDR2 RAM, so it will change all your components.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

X2 4400 would be better

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

I'd go for a beefier power supply if you plan on overclocking or running crossfire. 500+ at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Jammer wrote:
    The ATi's have dropped in price on overclockers.co.uk

AMD have launched their AM2 socket now, so it may be wise to consider that, so you're open to upgrades in the future. It also uses DDR2 RAM, so it will change all your components.

Cool i'll take a look on overclockers.co.uk.

Re: The AM2. I heard it wasn't all that great tbh. With the only main difference being the DDR2 support. I allready have a gig of Ballistix ram which i would like to use on the new machine :)
    X2 4400 would be better

Indeed it would be ;)

But it's an extra €130 :p
    I'd go for a beefier power supply if you plan on overclocking or running crossfire. 500+ at least

I dont plan on running crossfire. Wouldn't mind trying a small overclock though, i'd like to have modular connections, which is why i chose that one :) You this PSU would strugle with this setup?

Thanks for your replies so far :)

Yeah, no major gains ATM besides faster ram, but if you want to upgrade in 12months time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

will they be bringing new procsseros out for am2 or just stay with the 1s they av.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

Pacifico wrote:
    Indeed it would be ;)

But it's an extra €130 :p

oops didnt realize it was that much extra :o

Before i click buy! Could someone throw a quick eye over this selection?

Any suggestions welcome! :)

Card needs a minimum 450Watt PSU....youd really need 480 or greater...taking the cpu into account

Ok thanks i added this instead

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=311653&s=sc

Any HW conflicts or incompatibilities?

• Advertisement
Advertisement