Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackberry or Treo 650

• 27-05-2006 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Not sure which to buy. Probably buying on o2. Question is whether there is any push email available for the treo 650??? Have they got blackberry connect for it yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

Akula wrote:
    Not sure which to buy. Probably buying on o2. Question is whether there is any push email available for the treo 650??? Have they got blackberry connect for it yet?

no blackberry connect for the treo, there is a very corporate software optio that would be cost prohibitive for an individual so if its just for yourself thats not an option.

basically any BB is great for email but usually a crap phone, we are starting to see the connect run the blackberry service on what should be decent phones but not many options here in ireland yet, duno why as they would sell. for example i see o2 mentioned on their site recent a certain nokia that had all the bells and whistles and blackberry connect, that would simply be best of both worlds, but of course its nots available, you would have to get it yourself then set it up.

hope some of that is of help

edit: i should add the treo is a better pda and phone generally, you can run all sorts of software. but you have to ask yourself what do you need, if its reliable email and a phone then u need a BB, if its occasional email a snazzy phone/pda then its the treo.

theres an excellent site for the treo called treocental.com, register and have a good read on that. for the BB there is forums off the BB main site, all the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I got myself a Nokia E61. Super device and has wifi. BB connect will be available in a couple of week but right now I am using push email from a MS Exchange service. Works really good - great screen which makes the bb look like a toy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Where did you get your e61? how much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Got mine in Germany but I believe Phonesonline (www.phonesonline.ie) have them in stock Sim free. Have it for about 2 weeks now and its a terrific phone. Won't be changing for a long time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

Back to the Treo - it's the king, the ultimate converged device. Out of the box the mail support isn't great - though BB Connect is now available - but teamed with Chatteremail you have everything you want.

Chatter (www.chatteremail.com) offers full POP/IMAP/OWA (with SSL) support, but uniquely it supports background *PUSH* IMAP to many servers using the IDLE command. In the sense that it's standards based it's much better than BB.

Can't say for sure which local services support IDLE, a couple of colleges do The Courier MTA does. There are many cheap and even free hosting services that support it too. See the Chatter site. As mentioned in the first post checkout TreoCentral and see the endorsements for Chatter.

Biggest downside is cost of the Treo 650 :(

OZ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

Nice thing about the BB is the predicability of cost. 24 euros a month with unlimited usage is pretty good.

Also the screen on the BB8700 is pretty awesome.

The phone in the 8700 is also very good I'm finding.

The only thing I'm disappointed with is the calendar. Its exceptionally ugly. The screen is capable of doing better.... hopefully they will release an os upgrade that will solve these problems.

Advertisement