Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just over a week til english!! hows everyone feeling?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

I'm freaking out big time myself! I have so much sh*t to learn this week its unreal!

Irish(H)- All i want is a C2 or C3 but I'll be very lucky if i even get that. I should have been learning stuff for the past 2 years but have left it all way too late! I can't write essays, never have a clue about the comps and all the learning I have to do for Paper 2, noooo :(

Maths(O) - My only pass subject so I'm giving it the back seat, a nice high C in it and I'll be happy

English(H)- Love the subject but for some reason after the junior cert I lost any talent I had for writing essays! That and Lear is the only problem, comparatives and poetry should be fine! Hoping for a B.

Geography(H) - Like everyone I'm totally confuzzled about the whole thing! Have to learn the whole bloody course this week, eek, and then hope for the best. It's the questions they ask in them bloody papers that scare me the most! Hoping for a high C.

Biology(H) - Have to learn nearly the whole lot this week, its a lot to learn but I should be OK, I'm hoping for a B.

Art(H)- did fairly well in the practicals, I think it'll be a night before job for the history of art! It's not too bad, you can talk alotta ****e haha. Hoping for a High C.

French(H) - Barely hung on at higher level but I hope I think I'll manage. After getting fairly ok at the comps and the written pieces, but I have the vocabulary of a 2ndyear! Hoping for a C of some sort haha!

Good luck with the cramming this week everyone, I know I need it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

you guys are waaaay too stressed out..

i still havent had my freak out... hhmmm.
    it'll probably strike me the day before the results or something.. aah well, twill be too late to do anything then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Maths: Fairly confident about this. Just finished learning off all the theorems, now just Vectors and some Trignometry to go over and I'm sorted.

Applied Maths: I've a week and a half between history and this, so I haven't done a tap and I should be grand.

English: I've got 5 poetry essays written up, 1 and a half comparatives, and 4 Lears. Should be able to learn them off fairly easily. I've forgotten about Paper 1 but it should be alright with some practice.

History: Soooo much left to do. A few days of pure history should get me there but that's easier said than done.

Business: Somehow, I only have one chapter left to study. I'll go over everything quickly and maybe practice some exam questions but I don't foresee any problems here.

French: For some reason, I've forgotten about French. I basically spent all of 5th year learning the language and was confident of an A, but that has all evaporated now. Ah well. I'll do some practice and hope for the best.

Irish: I wish I hadn't stayed in honours. I spent ages studying the poems and the stories and the stair, realised how little it was really worth and that no matter how much I did I was always going to fall short of my other subjects. I'm undecided as to whether I'll bother learning off an essay or An Triail or the rest of the literature or just leave it. Seems a bit of a waste...

Overall, with the exception of Irish, I'm fairly confident of having enough time in the coming days to get myself ready. Unless Scrubs is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Gambra

I've not done any study all this week and its starting to scare me..

Maths - I'm usually a border line pass on this, yet I've been working so freaking hard on it.. I dunno... BLEH!!!!

English - Should be ok.. I'm banking on the usual female/irish poet combo to happen. And the Lear question I can always bluff it spectacuarly. Lets just hope I don't screw up my essay in Paper One

Irish - Pass, don't need it

German - I'm hoping NOTHING like the pre paper comes up, its was ****!ng ridiculious. Teacher said it was uni standard.. Anyway, orals went really well ( got the easiest roleplays and picture sequences) Just gotta get my grammar and sentence structures up to scratch

History - A1 banker for me.. I hope. It should be piss easy considering its the first year and I know most of the course inside out.

Economics - Only took it up this year, another A1-A2 hopefully

T.D - I really need to work on finishing every question. Other than that it'll be a B min for me, I hope

Physics - I might not even turn up for the exam,......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

Irish: I wish I hadn't stayed in honours. I spent ages studying the poems and the stories and the stair, realised how little it was really worth and that no matter how much I did I was always going to fall short of my other subjects. I'm undecided as to whether I'll bother learning off an essay or An Triail or the rest of the literature or just leave it. Seems a bit of a waste...

you may choose to ignore me, but my advice is..

know each story in English, know what its about, know the main theme, and learn of a few phrases for it..
    that way, at least you'll know in your head what you're supposed ot be saying, and hopefully on the day you'll have enough Irish to get it down...

its not too much effort, and i think its much better than just forgetting about everything..

say for Fiche Bliain as Fás, for the mocks, i hadnt done any preparation for it at all, apart from the night before, where i read through the summary.. it stayed in my head, and the question was about points of humour in the extract, so i managed to write somethign down.. got me a good few marks too, and that was with about 10 minutes of effort!

the same with an Triail, just be sure you understand what happens, in English, and at least you'll have something to say..

isnt it right that in paper 2, they cant really mark you down for grammar mistakes and everything? thats what our teacher told us..
    they care more about actually talking about the stories/poems/play?

so i say.. just write dome some relevant stuff!

dont worry yourself with learning off answers or anything..

ok. i'll go back into my box now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

English-Other than poetry,I'm pretty sorted for this,not expecting anything over a B in it though.I have the comparatives very well learnt,and I can bluff Lear to a small degree but I have no quotes learnt for it,at all.

Irish-Pass level.I hate it.I really do.I hate it a lot.I got a c3 in the mocks on it and all I want is the d3 in it

Accounting-In the mocks I only got 57% in this which I was really disapointed with(damn time problems :( ).Have put a lot of work in this,and have a week free before this(although it shares a day with physics) so I'm expecting a B2/1 or an A2

Italian-Pass level due to my lazyness.Did pass on the mocks,and got an A1,I shouldve done honours but I'm happy sticking with pass now.

Physics-I hate this subject.But I'm prepared for all the experiments,and 5 long questions(leaving me no choice though...)I only picked it because I hate chemistry even more.

Geography-In the mocks,I was disapointed with this.I got 66% in it which I was really annoyed at,I'd expected a good B.We had some stupid "alternative paper" instead though,and I hadn't done the option book(meaning I had to use what I heard on the news to answer it) so this should hopefully be a B or an A as well.

Maths:Paper 1 is great,I know it very well.Differentiation and integration love me and I got 149/150 on those 3 questions in the mocks.Paper 2 is bad.I hate trignomatry so much,although I've put a lot more work into it now.Hoping for a C3 in this subject...Paper 2 bought me down in the mocks,a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

I'm getting one of those ''omgi'vesomuchtodoandsolittletime'' panic attacks right now... I did NOTHING today I'm not in a studying mood I better be in one tomorow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

I didn do anything either. And I want 510. Minimum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

You hear it far too much from us college types, but really, the key is to maintain just the healthy amount of panic that spurs you into working, while not letting it worry you while you're taking a time out.

In college I see too many people who genuinely know material but get mental blanks as a result of freaking out far too much and then panic because their memories aren't firing at 100%. Just keep taking deep breaths, and treat your body well for the next month or so - full nights of sleep are a genuine recommendation because you'll need the rest before two-paper days, and you'll absorb what you're revising while you sleep. Really is my number one recommendation anyway.

Best of luck, everyone! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

NADA wrote:
    I didn do anything either. And I want 510. Minimum!

i want that too...and i dont know what to do..i wish i could rewind back two weeks im soooo worried my freak attack is never-ending!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Rockerette wrote:
    you may choose to ignore me, but my advice is..

know each story in English, know what its about, know the main theme, and learn of a few phrases for it..
    that way, at least you'll know in your head what you're supposed ot be saying, and hopefully on the day you'll have enough Irish to get it down...

its not too much effort, and i think its much better than just forgetting about everything..

say for Fiche Bliain as Fás, for the mocks, i hadnt done any preparation for it at all, apart from the night before, where i read through the summary.. it stayed in my head, and the question was about points of humour in the extract, so i managed to write somethign down.. got me a good few marks too, and that was with about 10 minutes of effort!

the same with an Triail, just be sure you understand what happens, in English, and at least you'll have something to say..

isnt it right that in paper 2, they cant really mark you down for grammar mistakes and everything? thats what our teacher told us..
    they care more about actually talking about the stories/poems/play?

so i say.. just write dome some relevant stuff!

dont worry yourself with learning off answers or anything..

ok. i'll go back into my box now...

Cheers, that's actually very relevant advice for me. With the short stories in the mock, I got 0/40 - couldn't even remember the basic storyline of An Cearrbhach Mac Cába, couldn't be arsed to attempt the question. I'll see how much time I have left after my other subjects and, depending on that, either go for your approach or try my 'fluke' strategy. That is, pick one or two poems/one or two short stories/one or two an triail questions/two or three stair/an essay, learn off some proper answers, ignore the rest and pray for a gigantic fluke. As long as I get a C, I really don't care - and, who knows, I might get lucky and nail the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

for the next month or so

yeah, it's a week and 3 days away....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Shrimp wrote:
    yeah, it's a week and 3 days away....:cool:
    I mean through the exams and up til their end, dude. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Speaking of english, there are some good notes on www.sparknotes.com. I found some interesting ones for King Lear and Silas Marner there if anyone is doing those texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

since i got off last monday, i havn't done ANYTHING and don't intend to.

i'll wait til monday and tuesday next week to start studying. if you overload your minds too much at this stage, you'll suffer from burnout in the middle of exams and won't be alert towards the last exams.

the most important thing is to relax and be able to clear your mind, focus 100% on each question.

you guys are in panic mode already, just listen to yee. you took 1 day off from study - oh my god :eek: that's suicide, you're going to fail because of that :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

smemon wrote:
    since i got off last monday, i havn't done ANYTHING and don't intend to.

i'll wait til monday and tuesday next week to start studying. if you overload your minds too much at this stage, you'll suffer from burnout in the middle of exams and won't be alert towards the last exams.

the most important thing is to relax and be able to clear your mind, focus 100% on each question.

you guys are in panic mode already, just listen to yee. you took 1 day off from study - oh my god :eek: that's suicide, you're going to fail because of that :cool:

I only need about 260-300 points, (which isnt a problem) but I need a C in maths for my course, (which is a huge problem) and granted I am worrying most of the time, I agree with ya partially, today is the first day since monday Iv'e done any work, and so far it's consisted of just an hours worth and practicing some paper1 questions. Im gonna concentrate on maths and english, and as soon as the first weekend comes, I'll put my head down and get my sh!t together.
    It's not that I'm particulary lazy, Iv'e did the work, and put the hours in since christmas (2 hours of study after school most days) it's just a case of reading over the stuff, and revising.
    Iv'e been in and out of "meh not to worry" mode, and "omfg what if I fail" mode :D

Atm i'm ok though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

smemon wrote:

But y'see the thing is, is that I'm learning most things for the first time. Was out allot this year so take today for example I learned the region India. I haven't read this before so it's all new. Tomorow I've to do Scania and the West and East of Ireland. Again it's all new to me. If I didn't do it now I'd be leaving blanks in the exam.

The same goes for the Irish stories and poems - don't even know the titles because I was out of school when we were doing them.
    So I REALLY can't afford to miss a day of studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

You'll all be alright you all really have alot of time left, just use it wisely ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I can't get below a B1 pretty much. That's whats scaring me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

im repeating and im still screwed!!!!
    you think that i would learn after last year that i cant just sit on my ass and do nothing??
    i got 455 last year and need to 555!
    i think i can manage about 500 if i put some work in during the next week. but im finding it hard to peel myself away from the internet and tv!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

english-****ed beyonf belief!!i kno everything jus havent a clue how to write it down!!lol
    irish-im ok jus have to revise it the nite before
    maths-im ok jus revise d nite before
    french-pass is **** easy so im fine for that
    geography-havent a clue!!!im actually at the point of tears
    business-only took it up dis year and im sooooo ****ed!!i got 29% in the pre!!

i need 330!!!im not gonna get it i only got 245 last year and shud have went to DKIT to do marketing instead of reapeating!!word to the wise DONT REPEAT ESPECIALLY IN AN ALL BOYS SCHOOL!!!lolol

p.s any tips would be great on nay of those subjects lol

flynnser19 wrote:
    english-****ed beyonf belief!!i kno everything jus havent a clue how to write it down!!lol
    irish-im ok jus have to revise it the nite before
    maths-im ok jus revise d nite before
    french-pass is **** easy so im fine for that
    geography-havent a clue!!!im actually at the point of tears

i need 330!!!im not gonna get it i only got 245 last year and shud have went to DKIT to do marketing instead of reapeating!!word to the wise DONT REPEAT ESPECIALLY IN AN ALL BOYS SCHOOL!!!lolol

p.s any tips would be great on nay of those subjects lol

DKIT? you goto school in droghed or dundalk by any chance?

yea i go to school in dundalk!!used to go to the louis but ikm repeating in the de la salle boys school now!!best year EVER!!wat u wanna do urself???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

flynnser19 wrote:
    yea i go to school in dundalk!!used to go to the louis but ikm repeating in the de la salle boys school now!!best year EVER!!wat u wanna do urself???

:eek: Fiona????
    Yeah the dela is a kip shud have went 2 the grammar :D
    flynnser19 wrote:

That makes two of us. I only got 32% in the mock & I have been doing it for 2 years :D

ahh i knew it was eamon!!!!i kno shudda went to the grammar!!!im such a penis!!im soooo ****ed!!at least ur da is a teacher u can get lots of help im completley ****ed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

flynnser19 wrote:
    ahh i knew it was eamon!!!!i kno shudda went to the grammar!!!im such a penis!!im soooo ****ed!!at least ur da is a teacher u can get lots of help im completley ****ed!!!

Yeah it wud prob help if he was a good teacher & taught subject i am doing!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭michelle_ie

im stressing, missed months off school last year couldnt do lc, had to come back this year, again missed months, new geography course, had to do lear, comparatives and poets myself... blah so much to do! and its annoying cause everyone is like oh ur repeating ur grand! and im like ammm no im not! blah! roll on wednesday to **** get this crap over me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

I only need 260! But im not even going to get that! I wish I'd studied! I have today and tomorrow to try and get myself a pass in maths and, and that's not going to happen... AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

English, got damn im going to ace that thank god it's first, but still.... ****E can't wait for this to all be over!

2 weeks time im going to be so unconciously drunk it's not even going to be funny

eamoss wrote:
    Yeah it wud prob help if he was a good teacher & taught subject i am doing!! :D

yea true i suppose!!he's a funny teacher if dats any help???he cracked me up big time lololol god ill miss him!!!

• Advertisement

mang87 wrote:
    I only need 260! But im not even going to get that! I wish I'd studied! I have today and tomorrow to try and get myself a pass in maths and, and that's not going to happen... AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

English, got damn im going to ace that thank god it's first, but still.... ****E can't wait for this to all be over!

2 weeks time im going to be so unconciously drunk it's not even going to be funny

I need 260 too (cs in dit by any chance?) a C in pass maths is almost impossible for me.

Advertisement