Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband slower than dial up

• 27-05-2006 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi was just wondering if anyone has any problems in the carlow area with eircom broadband. My broadband is fine but a friend's broadband is gone slower than dial up. there is no virus's on it as i have connected my laptop to it and its the same. I was on the phone for ages with eircom support and he said there is no problems with their broadband. i am getting a 75% packet loss pinging google.com aslo packet loss pinging google's ip. the support guy said it was a dns problem but i explained to him that its losing packets pinging the ip too dont think he knew what i was talking about. He said they have had no complaints about slow broadband in the carlow area....

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

jayo2004 wrote:
    Hi was just wondering if anyone has any problems in the carlow area with eircom broadband. My broadband is fine but a friend's broadband is gone slower than dial up. there is no virus's on it as i have connected my laptop to it and its the same. I was on the phone for ages with eircom support and he said there is no problems with their broadband. i am getting a 75% packet loss pinging google.com aslo packet loss pinging google's ip. the support guy said it was a dns problem but i explained to him that its losing packets pinging the ip too dont think he knew what i was talking about. He said they have had no complaints about slow broadband in the carlow area....

You would need to give more information - if you are both on the same exchange then it would seem that it is specific to your friend - what equipment is he using? Does he use wireless - if so has he got it secured? What speed is he syncing at? what are his line stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

dont know what speed is he syncing at or his line stats. He is using the netopia eircom gave him and not using the wireless. I was just wondering if anyone was having problems as eircom said someone will ring back within the week..

jayo2004 wrote:
    dont know what speed is he syncing at or his line stats. He is using the netopia eircom gave him and not using the wireless. I was just wondering if anyone was having problems as eircom said someone will ring back within the week..

Well if you are on the same exchange as him and you are not affected it is unlikely to be an Eircom problem so if you want help you arr gonna have to provide some information.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

dub45 wrote:
    arr

I knew dub45 was a pirate, I wouldn't give him any information, he'll shiver your timbers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ruairi

Log in to the admin interface of his Netopia. Go to Expert, Statistics and DSL. Check Downstream CRC errors. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago with my DSL connection in Cork city centre and it turned out to be interference caused by - of all things - flourescent lights that the phone cable in the house passed nearby.

• Advertisement

jayo2004 wrote:
    dont know what speed is he syncing at or his line stats. He is using the netopia eircom gave him and not using the wireless. I was just wondering if anyone was having problems
    as eircom said someone will ring back within the week..

And you have never heard that one before?:rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

ruairi wrote:
    interference caused by - of all things - flourescent lights that the phone cable in the house passed nearby.

Sounds up there with "snow on the telephone line" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

CuLT wrote:
    Sounds up there with "snow on the telephone line" ;)
    lol, it's almost as good as the excuse I heard British Rail give when I was catching a train from London to Southampton when I was still in the UK...

"The 9:15 to Southampton is running three hours behind schedule because of leaves on the track"

Back on topic, the connection could be so bad simply because his phoneline is ****. I used to live in Carlow town myself and the phoneline was terrible, making a phone call was like shouting down a gun barrel. I think the Carlow telecoms infrastructure is in bits anyway, the Eircom BB customer service representatives told me as much when I tried to get BB for three years (failing consistently).

I'm not being patronising, but is the man sure his PC doesn't have some sort of spyware on it?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 EircomAgent

go to www.eircom.net/speed test and select the big file. The minimum speed your friend should be getting with BB Homestart is 256k, you failed to mention which package he is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Laguna wrote:
    lol, it's almost as good as the excuse I heard British Rail give when I was catching a train from London to Southampton when I was still in the UK...

"The 9:15 to Southampton is running three hours behind schedule because of leaves on the track"

Back on topic, the connection could be so bad simply because his phoneline is ****. I used to live in Carlow town myself and the phoneline was terrible, making a phone call was like shouting down a gun barrel. I think the Carlow telecoms infrastructure is in bits anyway, the Eircom BB customer service representatives told me as much when I tried to get BB for three years (failing consistently).

I'm not being patronising, but is the man sure his PC doesn't have some sort of spyware on it?.
    On that note, leaves on rail tracks can be very unsafe. Trains have to reduce speed by quite a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

Eircomagent can you confirm if their is a problem in the Carlow Area??

Advertisement