Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ennis Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Fool 5000 wrote:
    Nice new site for the Ennis Bypass

http://www.ennisbypass.ie/ennisbypass/www/

There will be a early opening of the N18 Eastern Bypass from Dromoland to Cragard at the end of 2006 :cool:

good news for ennis. i remember driving through ennis last bank holiday weekend, i had grown a beard by the time i got to the other side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

looks a bit of an overkill to be honest

looks a bit of an overkill to be honest

have to disagree, ennis is riddled with traffic problems and is in dire need for this bypass. coaches heading to the cliffs of moher/clare coast cause a mountain of problems for the local residents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 smythmark

Plus it is a key part of the eventual motorway from limerick to galway.

the next two from oranmore to crusheen are not so urgent as the ennis section, but form the limerick to tuam road

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

Lovely website – just a pity that the pictures in the ‘progress’ section can’t be enlarged. I have to agree with Dan this dc is definitely needed due to both the bottleneck that Ennis is and more importantly the strategic importance of the connection between Galway and Limerick.

Good to see that a concrete barrier is being installed in the medium as opposed to the armco variety. This should result in excellent maintenance on the part of Clare CC. ;):D

Is much of the N85 being realigned as part of this project

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I'm all for the overkill :)

Needs a bit of futureproofing... with this and the M9 it seems this country is finally deciding to sort for the future rather than current traffic levels.

I don't disagree that Ennis needs a bypass, but that thing is massive. Why we need a Limerick-Galway motorway is beyond me. There are more pressing issues in Ireland surely.

The main futureproofing in transport should be trying to reduce oil dependency. I suppose we could electrify all these motorways and run Moscow style buses on them... :D

Tis a great time to be in road contracting, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fool 5000

Lovely website – just a pity that the pictures in the ‘progress’ section can’t be enlarged
    MT,
    You can if you save them on to your computer and then view on the cyberlink.Thats the way I did it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i will be surprised to see this road open at end of 2006...it is a long way from completion at the minute.....

it doesnt just bypass Ennis...also Clarecastle and Barefield which accounts for the major length of it....a huge timesaver without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭GospelGroupie

Glad to see so many Clare people on this site. How can we get a Boards board under Regions | Mid-West? Otherwise it's just a case of going in under the Limerick City banner. Pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I don't disagree that Ennis needs a bypass, but that thing is massive. Why we need a Limerick-Galway motorway is beyond me. There are more pressing issues in Ireland surely.

The main futureproofing in transport should be trying to reduce oil dependency. I suppose we could electrify all these motorways and run Moscow style buses on them... :D

Tis a great time to be in road contracting, that's for sure.

LOL

We need infastructure at this side of the county, not going to explain, there are bizzillont reasons as to WHY IT SHOULD be going ahead..

3 mile tailbacks suit you?

No, I agree that Ennis needs a bypass - just not one on the scale that's being built. If they cut back on it they'd have more money to spend on other Clare roads.

There is no reason for it to be a grade seperated near-motorway. In most countries you need at least 40,000 vehicles a day to warrant a motorway, in Ireland it's 40,000 votes.

I'd like to hear your bizzillont reasons why this massive motorway bypass is being built instead of a more conservative one that would do the job just fine. It can't be just about wanting to drive fast, surely...

No, I agree that Ennis needs a bypass - just not one on the scale that's being built. If they cut back on it they'd have more money to spend on other Clare roads.

There is no reason for it to be a grade seperated near-motorway. In most countries you need at least 40,000 vehicles a day to warrant a motorway, in Ireland it's 40,000 votes.

I'd like to hear your bizzillont reasons why this massive motorway bypass is being built instead of a more conservative one that would do the job just fine. It can't be just about wanting to drive fast, surely...

First of all.

It's a standard dual carrigeway, Not HQDC.

Traffic flows are around 20,000 average per year.
    More than any section than either the N7 or N8 south of Portlaoise, yet these section are get near motorway????
    Now before I answer all your questions, explain why it's not needed at this scale...:p

More than any section than either the N7 or N8 south of Portlaoise, yet these section are get near motorway????

i don't agree that those should be motorway either

in the long term interests of the state, and to try and make it less dublin-centric, these roads are much needed and should be seen as a good future investment.

don't get me wrong, i think they're great, but there's many rural roads that need attention too, not to mention the railways.

i don't agree that those should be motorway either

Why? You are contradictory, cudn be arsed to qoute what you said before:p

Well Ennis itself is the largest town in southern Ireland. it is the fastest growing town in Ireland in the 20,000 to 30,000 bracket along with Naas and Swords. Fairly large population there. All the infastructure and more is needed, if not welcomed...

Secondly there are a number of national routes that converge in Ennis which are a regional importance and nationally. As the N85 etc, are huge tourists routes to places like Kilkee, shannon estuary and the Cliffs of moher.

The N18 is one of the most important routes that make up the spine of this country. This routes links all the major national routes along the Atlantic seaboard such as N20,N24,N17,N19,N21 etc..

It links the three largest centres of population outside of Dublin, and promoting an economic and infastructural hub as a counter balance to the Eastern seaboard.

Over 20,000 vehicles is totally appropriate for a standard dual carrigeway, the interchanges are fairly simple to, nothing spectacular.. In this country we are notorious for bad planning, please don't knock the planners for building a road that is up to the design and spec. Why build a single lane road that already exist, ehem the N18?

Only a few miles lies an international Airport?? with this airport doubling in numbers in near future, will put extra traffic onto the N18

Before I make any other point

Your alternate suggestion to a Bypass you would desire for the town of Ennis? great to hear it..:cool:

basically a 2+1 job following an alignment slightly closer to the town. the bridges/embankment could be built with motorway in mind. the alignment being built with the long access road perpendicular to the bypass is actually quite a long route distance wise for the ennis-limerick commuters
    Why? You are contradictory, cudn be arsed to qoute what you said before

yeah, my point with the limerick/cork roads is that if you are going to go and spend all that money on a HQDC, then you may as well call it an "M" road

• Advertisement

don't get me wrong, i think they're great, but there's many rural roads that need attention too, not to mention the railways.

i take your point however that not just national primary routes need upgraded, the N52 from mullingar to kells being a primary example

basically a 2+1 job following an alignment slightly closer to the town. the bridges/embankment could be built with motorway in mind. the alignment being built with the long access road perpendicular to the bypass is actually quite a long route distance wise for the ennis-limerick commuters

yeah, my point with the limerick/cork roads is that if you are going to go and spend all that money on a HQDC, then you may as well call it an "M" road

Well what a wassssssssssssssstttee.
    Seriously why would you waste all this money your talking about on half building a motorway with embankments for future needs?

OMG. Man the road as it stand is choked.... bringing it nearer to the town will only attract more traffic from the town, and will ultimaley fail.

Blunder, Plunder.

This route as it stands is over 20,000 cars a day and is growing at a phenomenal rate.
    Secondly there is already a dual carrigeway south of Ennis why bottleneck it for your sake.
    finally your plan sucks.

Your second comment on commuting was not thought about.
    Limerick/Ennis commuters won't use it. it's a bypass? get your thinking caps on. There is already a splendid DC opened for business the whole way for the lucky Limerick/Ennis commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Cant wait for this to open. Its regularly a giant traffic jam from about a mile before clarecastle until out the gort (galway) road. My only problem is the relief road to the lahinch\ennistimon road should have been a 1/2 mile further out. As it is it'll be ending in the middle of an increasing urban sprawl.

Your second comment on commuting was not thought about.
    Limerick/Ennis commuters won't use it.

oh yes they will, i assure you

oh yes they will, i assure you

yes a lot of cars from north ennis will use this to head to limerick. if ever a town needed a bypass its ennis, and DC is entirely appropriate given the nature of the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

If one needs to get to Shannon Airport from Galway City, the largest bottleneck is Ennis. It means I can get to Shannon Airport in about an hour guranteed, the sooner they start the Crusheen <-> Gort section the better if ye ask me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

lennoxschips have you ever travelled thru Ennis? the town is crying out for a bypass, assuming your from Cork due to your username, its as bad as ballincollig was and fermoy is in terms of gridlock.

in fact given that the road is in clare, i'd give it full motorway status to protect it from those nutters on Clare. co.co. who insist on giving permission to houses to have access to the existing N18 DC.

but having said all that i dont believe the crusheen-gort section should be a priority in the NRAs road building programme, not least until the Dublin radial routes are completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Ennis has to be one of the longest towns ever... it goes on and on and on... took me over an hour to get through it once... and it wasn't even a Friday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

in fact given that the road is in clare, i'd give it full motorway status to protect it from those nutters on Clare. co.co. who insist on giving permission to houses to have access to the existing N18 DC.
    Bards wrote:
    Ennis has to be one of the longest towns ever...
    I think these two points are directly related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭GospelGroupie

Lennoxchips, I don't know why we dissagree so much, between this and foriegn reg drivers...
    The alignment being built with the long access road perpendicular to the bypass is actually quite a long route distance wise for the ennis-limerick commuters

The choice of having the main N18 artery running so far east of Ennis, bypassing Clarecastle and that road with the windy bridge... I forget it's name... basically, it's giving room for expansion for Ennis. to the east. Handy to have.

As for the long access road...that'll be taking a substantial amount of traffic away from Clarecastle and that sweeping road south past Carnelly House. It's not the most direct, but it's the safest. It may not appeal to everyone, but will to the vast majority, I wager.

Certainly the link from Claureen beside the Esso station (which is planned, apparantly, to be redeveloped in the same vein as Rosslevin Arms complex, moving the One Mile closer to the junction of Shanaway Rd and the Lahinch Rd.) to the Maxol station on the Limerick Rd. will be a blessing. Traffic coming from the growing residential areas along Lahinch Rd, Kilmaley Rd. and Kilrush Rd. all piling onto Mill Road/Carmody St. just to head to Limerick is causing that corridor to be regularily blocked. The link-road will alleviate such log-jams.

There is also room, due to responsible rezoning, to allow the link-road to extend across Lahinch Rd., bisect Drumcliff Rd., and swing back to the Gort Road creating a contiguous ring-road around this rapidly expanding town. It will help to corral the future growth to within a defined boundary instead of allowing a shapeless sprawl.

Finally, some people are never happy!!! If they built a 2+1 akin to those built in Scandinavian countries, people will criticise. You can please all of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, etc. Future-proofing is the objective, while we have the money. We may not have infrastructure funds forever, but we have them now. Get it right first time is the key.

Otherwise we will have another M50 experience where there is constantly some road-works along its stretch.... they now have to try to squeez another lane each way between Blanchardstown and the Red Cow. More traffic chaos. Ridiculous. It's better to put it right now before any cars are allowed on it.

Advertisement