Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Network To choose

• 27-05-2006 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

Ok Im looking to get my self a personal mobile I have a company mobile but just want to start using a differnt no and stuff myself,

I use the phone quite alot and call both networks and use alot of peak & offpeak

I see 02 have some deals with o2 where you get 2400 minutes off peak to 02 for €35 a month just wondering who is offering the best deals at the moment to call across networks and during peak and off peak

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Have a look at http://www.callcosts.ie to suit what your usage is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

i have to agree with elites on this on 3 have the best rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I am vodafone and as soon as my contract is up i'm moving to o2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

why what 02 offering better than Vodafone

as far as I can see every company has good and bad featuers to each package

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

Ive been on every network (literally) and here's what i can say from my experiences:

Vodafone - Good service and always quite good with being the first to release new hand sets but theyre just too expensive.

O2 - Good. Not too expensive and customer service is quite good too but they are hopeless with introducing new handsets and new technlogy (3g for example)

Meteor - Good and quite cheap but not as good coverage as other networks

3 - Im on them now and they seem to be quite good so far. Theyre very good for new handsets and are always the first to release the new 3g phones.

Basically; meteor or 3 for the cheapest rates. Vodafone or 3 for service/ handsets and go to o2 if u feel like it but i never really liked them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Vodafone is rediculously overpriced, theybut that is rather a moot point as O2's network is on par and 3 uses Vodas network when outside 3's network.

I was with O2 for 5 years and I jumped to 3 because a) I wanted a 3G handset b) 3 offered me a better price plan than O2. I have no problems switching back after my contract expires if it means a better deal.

If you are a business customer, O2 and Voda are your best bets as that seems to be their core business (no pun intended). Voda and O2 can provide better deals for busnesses, Meteor and 3 are best suited for personal users IMO.

Vodafone is rediculously overpriced, theybut that is rather a moot point as O2's network is on par and 3 uses Vodas network when outside 3's network.

IMO.
    they use vodafones network but you are still being charged at 3's rates
    excuse me if you ment that but it was unclear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

If your going to use internet a lot I go for vodafone. I'm on vodafone contract love to move to o2 but I use internet alot so vodafone is the best for internet rates e.g €20 for 50mb.
    If not i go for o2, good coverage and customer care. To mine understanding 3 cust care is shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

I'm with Vodafone and contract is up next month and will be moving swiftly to 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ive always found 3 customer care to be quite good

• Advertisement

damo86 wrote:
    If your going to use internet a lot I go for vodafone. I'm on vodafone contract love to move to o2 but I use internet alot so vodafone is the best for internet rates e.g €20 for 50mb.
    If not i go for o2, good coverage and customer care. To mine understanding 3 cust care is shocking.
    well i can't speak for the people on 3pay (credit) becuase their call centre is in india and im on bill with 3 and you get onto scotish people if you're bill and i must say i think they are the most helpful people ive ever talked to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

from my experience with three, they seem very restrictive on their handsets!

you can only use their sim card in a phone supplied by them so they told me

some phone functionality is removed from the equivelent nokia retail model
    of the same phone, eg, 6680, n70 etc..

i am on three at the moment and considering going back to voda!

i phoned their help desk a good few times and have been told conflicting information from different people there....

voda is expensive, but has better roaming agreements and cheaper roaming!
    three roaming, is way too expensive,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

EIN wrote:

Hmm having a mobile thats lockedm, thats pretty standard for alot of providers and you have to often complete your contract to get it unlocked...its the same for Three

As for limitations on the phones, I have a Nokia 6680 and I'm curious what restrictions are you reffering too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I believe the menu for 2.5G coverage selections are blocked out too Cabaal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

EIN wrote:
    that's not true. i've lost count of the number of times i've corrected people on this
    EIN wrote:
    like what? if you're talking about not being able to select 2g, i can give you a program that will let you select it but in most of the country they have no 2g signal anyway because they don't need it. i don't know of any other restrictions
    EIN wrote:
    voda is expensive, but has better roaming agreements and cheaper roaming!
    three roaming, is way too expensive,
    three roaming is expensive but for 99% of people, the two weeks a year they go abroad doesn't make up for voda's extremely high charges at home.
    ciaranfo wrote:
    I believe the menu for 2.5G coverage selections are blocked out too Cabaal.
    a program called net monitor (or something, it seems to have loads of names) can bring it back

that's not true. i've lost count of the number of times i've corrected people on this

hi 3's official line is that you are only allowed to use your 3 sim in a 3g phone supplied by them, its in their service contract, this was pointed out to me today, by a 3 customer team advisor.

they may possibly suspend a users account if he/she does it as it would be a breach of the contract agreement. so i was told.

also they refused to give me the 3mms settings, to configure my N70 and referred me to my contract....

i can confirm that a 3 sim card on bill pay works in a nokia factory sim free n70 phone. but mms wont work, i tried the settings but mms wont send....seems like something needs to be done their end to fix it..

seems strange,

EIN even if some of the points you made earlier are true (even though commander vimes corrected most of them) i still think that your taking it way out of proportion by telling people not to join 3
    they are the best network even with their flaws

i agree 3 are actually great value for money, they really are, i had are a few small niggly issues, but overall i found their service ( calls) good and 3g content excellent. ( a lot of the content is free).. great value...

if you plan to make video calls check coverage area first .

Advertisement