Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pet monkeys

Options
  • 27-05-2006 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

i was just wondering if its legal to have pet monkeys in ireland and if so how do you go about geting one??????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

tyther wrote:
    i was just wondering if its legal to have pet monkeys in ireland and if so how do you go about geting one??????
    You'd be as well getitng a parrot, just as clever and a hell of a lot easier to look after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

tyther wrote:

Taking on a baby monkey is just like a baby.Feeding all though the night and changing Nappy's.If its a male when it gets older it could get very violent.I would do a lot of research and may be phone around to see what species if any you could keep.Do you have the time and knowledge to keep one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ok the simple answer is yes - but they take time & money & need to be kept correctly or they get stressed & can die they are a WILD animal even a hand reared one will stratch & bite etc.

Marmosets do not need a licence to be kept - other species must have the relevent cites paperwork. I know of a pet farm that had an unlicence ring tail lemur that was taken away from him as there was no paperwork.

Please think about it & do a LOT OF RESEARCH! then do more & try to visit people who keep primates so you can see what kind of space they need.

I am planning on getting a pair of common marmosets I have a 12 foot long 6 foot wide 10foot high avairy built I just need to get the heat sorted out & get it fully set up & then I will look for an adult pair. I have been planning this for the last 4 years & it will probably be another year or so before I am ready to get my pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

A monkey as in 1? For a start they are social creatures it is totally inhumane to keep one on their own. You would be better off donating to a sanctuary that saves these poor animals from the pet trade.
    Visit http://www.monkeysanctuary.com/photos.htm
    http://www.monkeyworld.org/

They need very large enclosures, a balanced diet, they are wild animals not pets. They would also need a heated house and access to a vet that deals with primates. They live a long time also and are excape artists.
    They also need to be kept busy, it's a full time job to take care of them properly.

If you're looking for advice on getting one I would say don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

A monkey as in 1? For a start they are social creatures it is totally inhumane to keep one on their own. You would be better off donating to a sanctuary that saves these poor animals from the pet trade.
    Visit http://www.monkeysanctuary.com/photos.htm
    http://www.monkeyworld.org/

They need very large enclosures, a balanced diet, they are wild animals not pets. They would also need a heated house and access to a vet that deals with primates. They live a long time also and are excape artists.
    They also need to be kept busy, it's a full time job to take care of them properly.

If you're looking for advice on getting one I would say don't.
    Very good point Guineapigrescue, never even thought of it that way, Parrots are the same, you never see one alone in the wild, they are highly social and gregarious, I'm looking out for a pair of baby senegal Parrots myself for a while now ...
    Excellent advice tho on the monkeys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A lot of years ago my uncle brought a monkey (chimp) home to my grannys house (he worked on a merchant ship in the 50s). The chimp wrecked the house. He climbed up curtains and pulled them off the wall, tore wallpaper down, light fitting, ripped furniture and lots of other damage. After 2 weeks they gave it to Dublin Zoo. The problem here is that the poor chimp was taken out of his natural environment and basically went nuts. If you do get one (same applies to a parrott) make sure they have been bred in captivity and are familiar with 'human surroundings' - otherwise they are basically wild animals and not suitable as domestic pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭fookchooknooris

Plesae don't get a pet monkey. I see no possibility of this working out well.

Chimps and other apes but also endangered monkeys parents are killed sometimes used for bush meat and the babys taken and sold to the pet trade, the person who catches the babies doesn't get paid much but the dealers do. While there are captive bred ones it's not always easy to tell, papers can be forged, people lie etc. As chimps grow they become very dangrous, the cute side of them is quickly given away to the wild side, they are highly dangerous and very strong. Chimps belong in family groups as do monkeys, even small monkeys can give a nasty bite.
    Think your in Tralee? Why not ctry and see if you can volunteer in Fota Wildlife park in Cork for a week weeks and that way you can learn and get involved without having one as a pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭fookchooknooris

Hey, don't confuse monkey's with chimps. Chimps are like Gorillas. Big, clever, strong, aggressive, territorial, social. You cannot get a pet chimp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

It's a great pity that any sort of monkey can be kept as a pet, they don't belong in small cages or aviaries. Isn't there enough choice of small pets already?

• Advertisement

Baby chimps could probably still be gotten but thankfully I think that chances in Ireland or the UK are slim there are still countries that are selling them in pet shops etc when they can get away with it, big clamp down thank goodness. People buy them as tiny babies and then end up with a handful.
    Although speaking of chimps etc I haven't been to a circus in I don't know how long (hate them) does anyone know if chimps are still used in the circuses that come to the UK and Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tyther

yah ive decided against geting a monkey at the moment as i am only going into sixth year and will have no time next year at all.the suggestion about geting a job in fota is quite good i must look into that,thanks very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Baffled

Its want and demand that are causing these creatures to becoming rare in the wild. Its not humane to keep a monkey as a pet. They dont belong in anybodys home. They belong in the wild with their own species. If people dont stop buying these animals and creating a demand for them, they are eventually going to be wiped out. :mad:

Advertisement