Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography - Isostasy

Options
  • 27-05-2006 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30 joema

Im learning rivers in detail. I already know the processes of transportation and erosion aswell as two landforms.

But for isostasy should I know two landforms and 2 case studies of how isostasy can be seen in the Irish landscape today aswell?

I know the case studies - 1) Rivers of Donegal and 2)Peneplain in Munster

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭IbanezFreak

joema wrote:
    Im learning rivers in detail. I already know the processes of transportation and erosion aswell as two landforms.

But for isostasy should I know two landforms and 2 case studies of how isostasy can be seen in the Irish landscape today aswell?

I know the case studies - 1) Rivers of Donegal and 2)Peneplain in Munster

I dont know why you learnt those case studies.
    I got an A1 in Geography in the mocks its the easiest subject ever. Cut down your learning big time so youll remember the important stuff!

For the Physical geography question using rivers:

Learn 2 landforms with the processes that formed em:
    1. Waterfall - landform of erosion
    2. Meanders - landform of erosion and deposition

Part C is either to do with isotasy or human interference with rivers.
    Learn:
    What isotasy is all about
    When the last one happened
    2 landforms caused by it ie. Raised beaches,incised meanders,paired terraces,knickpoints.

For human interference take the aswan dam and talk about how the dam stops it transporting its load, causes erosion downstream, causes deposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Pez

this is gona sound weird but.... whts isostasy??????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

Pez wrote:
    this is gona sound weird but.... whts isostasy??????:confused:
    I've absolutely no idea either. I've gotten a few handouts from my teacher on it because I was out. So I'll have to learn them during the week.

Have a look through your book it should in there or the LSMS book.

Will we get a choice between doing a question from chapters 1-5 and one on rivers?? Or are they always combined...?? Trying my best to leave stuff out here lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I think the physical questions are 1:tectonics/volcanoes 2:rocks 3: processes.

Take from that what you will. I haven't touched rocks and don't plan on doing so.

EDIT: Stupid bastard smilies

So hmmmm ...I might be able to leave out processes

.... It's very risky though

Learn chapters 1-5 well and block out everything to do with rivers/glaciers/sea and whatever :confused:

• Advertisement

yep. you can

Isotasy came up on the sample paper so it has a good chance of coming up for the real thing. Its either that or human interference with surface preocesses.

Definition: Isotasy is the vertical movements of the earths crust.
    (Think of it as the opposite to plate techtonics which is horizontal movements of plates)

When weight is put on the crust it falls (Isostatic fall)
    When weight is taken from the crust it rises (Isostatic Rise)

The last time there was isostatic movements was at the last ice age.
    Vast amounts of ice were stored on land.
    This caused:
    1. Sea levels to fall (Water was stored on land)
    2. Crust levels to fall (The weight of the ice pushed it down)

When the ice age finished the glaciers melted and massive volumes of water flowed into the sea.
    This caused:
    1. Sea Levels to Rise (Water flowed into sea)
    2. Land levels to Rise (Weight was released)

There is much evidence to prove isostatic movements affected Ireland in the past.
    Explain two w/ diagrams:
    1. Knickpoint
    2. Raised Terraces
    3. Incised Meanders
    4. Rasied Beaches/Caves

I recommend you learn a knickpoint and a raised cave.

Oh yeah n if people arent doing the Rivers question I recommend you do the rock cycle.

Simply learn learn all the rock types.
    Then learn one type in detail (Limestone),How it was formed and how it can produce such a distinctive landscape *Karst region ie. The burren
    And then just learn about quarrying to show how humans interact with the rock cycle. The less stress more sucess book has a good page about how humans interact with the rock cycle.

Remember only focus on one topic. If you ****e with OS Maps (Like myslef!) consider doing the rock cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 joema

Im doing rivers in detail, is that all I need to know to be covered for q1 to 3?

If you can give a good answer for human interaction with rivers, have two surface processed covered you should be alright.

Is anyone else doing plate tectonics? Is all the folding and stuff in that or is it in rocks? If it is in tectonics I've just wasted a full day's studying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

ThrownAway wrote:
    I've absolutely no idea either. I've gotten a few handouts from my teacher on it because I was out. So I'll have to learn them during the week.

Have a look through your book it should in there or the LSMS book.

Will we get a choice between doing a question from chapters 1-5 and one on rivers?? Or are they always combined...?? Trying my best to leave stuff out here lol.

I wrote about a page on this as a sample answer last week, I can type it up if ya want, but nothing to fancy, it will tie you over if you get it in the exam though ;)

"Explain how the effects of isostatic processes can be seen in the irish landscape today"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

to me, physical geography is physical geography, you guys are fascinating with all your sub categories tho!

maybe i should be worried?!

volcanos.. earthquakes.. a bit on glaciers.. bit on rivers.. rocks.. plate movements..

for me, its just "the physical section"..

and as for isostasy, never even heard the word before.. hehe i suck

Rockerette wrote:
    to me, physical geography is physical geography, you guys are fascinating with all your sub categories tho!

maybe i should be worried?!

volcanos.. earthquakes.. a bit on glaciers.. bit on rivers.. rocks.. plate movements..

for me, its just "the physical section"..

and as for isostasy, never even heard the word before.. hehe i suck

U need to have a very basic understanding of them for the short answer questions but if you cant talk about one section in detail your throwing away marks. Geography is one of those subjects that you learn it, reproduce it and get the marks. The stuff on rivers which i sed above is all ya gta know. Its only a tiny bit of info really, its just picking it out of the geography book thats the hard thing. If ya havnt prepared for it dont waste your time studying english poets r anything because youll easily pick up easy marks in this section for about max 5 hours study.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Does anybody know a site where I can find out about this Aswan stuff? bbc.co.uk has nothing, unfortunately.

Many thanks in advance.

For human interference i prefer the Bull wall, built at a right angle to the coastline at Dublin Bay. Built to protect port from Longshore Drift, intereferes with Erosion as the water cannot reach the coastline with as much momentum (hydraulic action). Interferes with Deposition as sediments are deposited at the wall instead of in the bay.

As a result of this Interference, the port is now able to have larger ships in it.

Plenty of Srps there, and able to expand on them further too.

Easy diagram to draw for another Srp aswell.

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

hehe lads you'll be delighted to know i opened up my geog book.. and found the chapter on this crazy isostasy stuff you're talking about...!

i swear i had never seen the pages before ever.. hhmmm..

it just kinda looked like physics a bit to me!

but yeah.. might take a look, thank ye guys for waking me up a bit.....

For human interference i prefer the Bull wall, built at a right angle to the coastline at Dublin Bay. Built to protect port from Longshore Drift, intereferes with Erosion as the water cannot reach the coastline with as much momentum (hydraulic action). Interferes with Deposition as sediments are deposited at the wall instead of in the bay.

As a result of this Interference, the port is now able to have larger ships in it.

Plenty of Srps there, and able to expand on them further too.

Easy diagram to draw for another Srp aswell.

:P

Just in case ppl dont realise thats for a costal topic. I dont think you can mix them. Actually maybe you can?!

you can, that's the brilliance of the new course!!

I wrote about a page on this as a sample answer last week, I can type it up if ya want, but nothing to fancy, it will tie you over if you get it in the exam though ;)

"Explain how the effects of isostatic processes can be seen in the irish landscape today"

I'm not sure what I'm going to study though I'm trying to avoid rivers and landforms and just do chapters 1-5.

BUT...

On sample paper two there's a question 2 B ...

''Examine how volcanic activity gives rise to two distinctive landforms.'' [30]

Is that something to do with river landforms??
    What the hell are volcanic landforms? Are they even in the book? :(

I just found another one on sample paper 3

''Examine the formation of two landforms which result from volcanic processes'' [30]

When they say the FORMATION do you just write the formation and nothing else??

you can, that's the brilliance of the new course!!

So you can do your question B on two river landforms and then do the sea for human activity in part C?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

There is probably going to be a question on rivers rocks and tectonics. I know all three. I hope!

What like all in one question :confused:

I presume two landforms would be the actual volcanoes themselves and a volcanic island?

ThrownAway wrote:
    So you can do your question B on two river landforms and then do the sea for human activity in part C?

yes, i asked my teacher about this today

you take A, B and C as separate questions..

Your still in school?

No you can't, you answer 1 full question, not bits one of one and part of another

Funkstard wrote:
    No you can't, you answer 1 full question, not bits one of one and part of another

Yep.^^^

Does everyone know what they're studying for the regions? I just finished the Mezzogiorno there and covered the problems facing agriculture, development of the region (cassa per il mezz.) and tourism. Should cover any question they could ask on a peripheral european region right?

Funkstard wrote:
    Does everyone know what they're studying for the regions? I just finished the Mezzogiorno there and covered the problems facing agriculture, development of the region (cassa per il mezz.) and tourism. Should cover any question they could ask on a peripheral european region right?

Regions Ive' done are Ireland (west, north east) Scania (core) in sweeden
    Peripheral (andalucia spain) Region in industrial decline Basque county?-(northern spain) And Uganda, and india too. Mainly covering either agriculture, industry etc... I did a ton of sample answers over the year, So I can just read over them :)

• Advertisement

I think Lauren Some Apparel was trying to say that you can answer your question B on Rivers and then your C on the sea if they were both asked in the SAME question.
    Funkstard wrote:
    Does everyone know what they're studying for the regions?

India [did anyone else have to learn about the economic challenge of the religious divide? BOOORING]
    Mezzigiorno
    Scania
    West and East of Ireland

Haven't time for anything else.

Advertisement