Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with Ubuntu Wireless

• 27-05-2006 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Just installed Ubuntu on my Advent 7027 laptop.

It has a built in Intel® PRO/Wireless 2100 Network Connection card using the Broadcom BCM4301 chipset.

Now apparently this chipset doesn't have Linux drivers (well, according to the fact that there's a petition for the drivers and all floating around...) but the laptop picks up the wlan0 connection and when I try to configure the wlan it finds the SSID of my network so I know it's picking up something...

I've configured it to activate the wlan, put in my WEP Key, enabled DHCP and saved all the settings using the Networks option in the System>Administration menu.

I can't get online with it at all

For a little while I could ping 192.168.1.1 (Linksys WAG54G router, set to Mixed mode with WEP enabled) but no longer, just tells me the network is unreachable at the moment...

Running ifconfig gives me the following output:
    eth0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:03:0D:02:85:E1
            inet6 addr: fe80::203:dff:fe02:85e1/64 Scope:Link
            UP BROADCAST MULTICAST   MTU:1500   Metric:1
            RX Packets:0  errors:0  dropped:0  overruns:0 frame:0 
            TX Packets:0  errors:0  dropped:0  overruns:0 carrier:0
            collisions:0 txqeuelen:1000
            RX bytes:0 (0.0b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0b)
            Interrupt:10 Base address:0Xcc00

lo      Link encap:Local Loopback
            inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
            inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
            UP LOOPBACK RUNNING   MTU:16436   Metric:1
            RX Packets:5934  errors:0  dropped:0  overruns:0 frame:0 
            TX Packets:5934  errors:0  dropped:0  overruns:0 carrier:0
            collisions:0 txqeuelen:0
            RX bytes:537448 (524.8 KiB)  TX bytes:537448 (524.8 KiB)

wlan0   Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:90:4B:2E:1D:A5
            inet6 addr: fe80::290:4bff:fe2e:ida5/64 Scope:Link
            UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST   MTU:1500   Metric:1
            RX Packets:0  errors:0  dropped:0  overruns:0 frame:0 
            TX Packets:0  errors:0  dropped:0  overruns:0 carrier:0
            collisions:0 txqeuelen:1000
            RX bytes:0 (0.0b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0b)
            Memory:dbff8000-dbff9fff

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

Is it breezy or dapper? I think dapper has more wireless support by default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I forget how to check... it's 5.10 anyway

Oh by the way iwconfig wlan0 output:
    IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:off/any
    Mode:Managed  Frequescy:2.437 GHz  Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
    Bit Rate:11 Mb/s   Tx-Power:16 dBm
    RTS thr:2347 B   Fragment thr:2346 B
    Power Management:off
    Link Quality:100/100  Signal Level:-10 dBm  Noise level:-256 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:24   Missed beacon:0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

That's breezy badger. Dapper drake is out on June1st, and you can upgrade to it now if you want by changing your sources.list and running apt-get dist-upgrade or something like that. I think there's an app called NetworkManager or something that might help. You want this really: http://ubuntuforums.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

did you install the wireless card using ndiswrapper?

if not just download / or get the broadcom dll and sys files from your pc or a website, put them physically onto your PC and here are some links that will help

http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/How_To_Install_Your_Broadcom_BCM4318_Using_Ndiswrapper

skip down to "Create a folder in your home directory (dont name it since we will trash it) and download the driver needed from acer website:"

and instead of using /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper just use sudo ndiswrapper

PM me if you need help ;)

or this tutorial should work well enough for ubuntu

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=125537
    ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/notebook/aspire_3020_5020/driver/80211g.zip

no hold on that tutorial works great on Breezy, and i use ndiswrapper on Dapper at the minute ;)
    take the driver files .sys and dll out of the zip there its for your broadcom laptop driver :)

• Advertisement

Cheers man but that's the BCM4318 (I think that's the G-version of mine), mine is the 4301.

I assume it should be the same sort of thing but will the same drivers work for me here?

I didn't use ndiswrapper, it was automatically detected after my Dapper upgrade and after I installed network-manager

by assumption I assume that all the broadcom wireless laptop drivers should work the same, so try it with the ubuntu tutorial, I have one on this HP laptop

Well I was having a bit of trouble getting it to connect with Dapper so I just reinstalled Breezy, Googled for the .inf and .sys files, copied them to my laptop and then used the instructions on the ubuntuforums link you mentioned.

She's up and running nae bother.

Thanks a lot for yer help Jakkass and Stevire :)

Dapper involves a lot of hacking around to get it working on the net (wireless of course) because Ubuntu staff tried so hard to make a driver (which blatently didnt work). I had to remove this driver first from the system then install ndiswrapper instead of their wireless tools package in synaptic and then carried out the ubuntu breezy setup as per usual.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Hmm... I have a Dell D600 with a Intel Pro/Wireless lan 2100 3a mini pci adapter that works out of the box with both hoary, breeze and dapper. They different cards?

• Advertisement
Advertisement