Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Firewire Cable

• 27-05-2006 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I bought a SONY MINIDV camcorder 2 years ago. Nice piece of kit. Like it a lot. One question, do all camcorders come wiht a USB connection cable and a firewire one?? Do you need to purchase a special firewire cable for the Sony Camcorder?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

What model is the camera? Most camera's come with a firewire out connection.... it's kind of hard to know what you're will have until you tell us the model number.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Lump wrote:
    What model is the camera? Most camera's come with a firewire out connection.... it's kind of hard to know what you're will have until you tell us the model number.

John

Hey John. Its a Sony DCR TRV22E. Digital HandyCam. ITs got a carl Seiss lenz. Memory Stick Slot. It also has the intelligent Accessory Shoe. I Cant seem to find the Manual right now, but at the side where the USB output there is another connection that might be Firewire out. I think it says DV out or similar.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/sony_dcr-trv22_camcorder_review.htm

This is it above. IT says here above there is a Firewire out port. But there was defo no firewire cable. I am surprised one didnt come wiht it. Where can i get such a cable?. Is it normally an extra. I still have the box and i can see in the side included accesories only is USB cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Do you live in Dublin? Anywhere like Maplin, IT Direct or PC World will have a fire wire cable. It'll be in or around €10. DV-out refers to firewire, as does iLink or ieee1394.

Any cable will do as long as you get the right size on each end. Typically a camera will be 4pin and a desktop PC will be 6pin. Laptops could be 4pin though.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000165AS0.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

In the above image the left hand cable is 6 pin and the right hand is 4 pin.

Lodgepole wrote:
    Do you live in Dublin? Anywhere like Maplin, IT Direct or PC World will have a fire wire cable. It'll be in or around €10. DV-out refers to firewire, as does iLink or ieee1394.

Any cable will do as long as you get the right size on each end. Typically a camera will be 4pin and a desktop PC will be 6pin. Laptops could be 4pin though.

that looks like the connection on the camera and the connection on the PC above. Ill grab a cable today, many thanks for all the info. Last time i brought across a film using USB i tought the quality wasnt great.

Thanks

Lodgepole wrote:

Maplin Galway...24 Euro...Sony shop next door 24 Euro. bought it in sony shop as there a local crowd running it, bloody maplin galway can be a ripoff..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

tred wrote:
    Maplin Galway...24 Euro...Sony shop next door 24 Euro. bought it in sony shop as there a local crowd running it, bloody maplin galway can be a ripoff..

Maplin Dublin (blanch) - 40.... DID 2 stores down, 21 !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭esquier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mikelepore

Related questions (novice level :-)

1 -- what hardware is needed at the computer end? My JVC camcorder has a firewire connection. My laptop computer doesn't - it only has USB. Does someone have the model name of a PC card, or a USB device, whatever is cheapest, that will give the computer a firewire port?

2 -- software to edit the video? Is something already built into Windows XP? If not, what do people buy? Any freeware?

3 -- what kind of file is the result of such editing? Just something viewable on the computer? Or write a DVD viewable on any DVD player?

I will be very grateful for advice.
    Mike Lepore in New York -- lepore at bestweb dot net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭esquier

1. this might do.
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/TechGear-FireWire-1394-PCMCIA-Card-GBR-101-/sem/rpsm/oid/124399/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

2. Moviemaker in Xp will do basic editing.

3 The result will be playable on a Pc, you need something like TmpgEnc suite
    to produce a Playable Dvd.
    http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/shopping/tsunami/deps.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭dl

Try Marx Computers

Firewire Cables - €7

PCMCIA Firewire Card - €30

• Advertisement
Advertisement