Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 problems i need help with...

• 27-05-2006 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

1. There are to many programmes running when my computer starts up. Does anyone know how to limit the amount of programmes running so my computer can boot up quicker?

2. I keep getting an error or virus of some kind when i go into My Documents. It's called "WMP Hooker" or something like that. I have loads of anti virus scanners but i cannot get rid of it. It makes my compuer crash until i log out. PLEASE HELP!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 macphisto

1. There are to many programmes running when my computer starts up. Does anyone know how to limit the amount of programmes running so my computer can boot up quicker?

2. I keep getting an error or virus of some kind when i go into My Documents. It's called "WMP Hooker" or something like that. I have loads of anti virus scanners but i cannot get rid of it. It makes my compuer crash until i log out. PLEASE HELP!

Hello,

1. Do this: start > run > type in msconfig > ok.
    In here click into the start up tab...and you can stop programmes from loading with windows. Be careful though! You might just accidently switch off you anti virus/firewall/anti spyware progs that you may have running.

When your done >> apply + close + reboot :-)

2. Not sure about this one..but a good bet would be to get spybot or adaware or any other reputable anti spyware program and do a thorough scan of your system...

Hope this helps,
    macphisto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Hi, how long have you had that virus on your pc ? I'm pretty sure its the bugbear virus. Won't do any damage as such, but will try to mail itself to e-mail address's on your system. The file your anti-virus is picking up is probably wps.hooker. There are removal instructions here.

As for your start-up, think macphisto said it all. There is a program I use call ashampoo winoptimizer. Got it free in a pc mag, so its probably availible as freeware somewhere on the net. Great piece of software for keeping things running smooth, and a doddle for sorting out slow start-ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

1. Someone posted this before, check out Ace Utilities. It has lots of handy applications the help your pc run smoothly, also has basically the same as msconfig, check out what essential programs you dont need running.

2. If your current viruscan picks up the virus, can you maybe get the logfile of the latest scan it and/or get the name of the virus. I havent heard of WMP Hooker.

Advertisement