Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

oil leak after service

Options
  • 28-05-2006 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi

Just had my car serviced recently and have now noticed that there is an oil leak. There were no leaks prior to service. Could this be just something that wasn't tighened correctly after service or I'm I looking at a big job? I'm just trying to get an idea of what I could be in for before bringing car back to the garage.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pa daly

Well first of all say what the car is, year etc and what exactly the service involved. It could be that a screw was over/under tightened on the sump. It could be a gasket??? Either way get back to the garage straight away...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

More than likely the sump washer, usually a little paper thingy that they dont replace,they just use the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

That happened on my mothers car a couple of weeks ago. Brought it back to the garage where they replaced a 'faulty oil filter' free of charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Most likely the new oil filter wasn't tightened properly.
    Most unlikely they had the sump/rocker cover/etc off for an ordinary service, unless there was some sort of internal work done at the same time?

Anyhow, get it back to the garage as soon as possible (i.e. immediately), and make sure they clean up the engine when they fix the problem.
    Keep an eye on the oil level in the meantime.

Unless something unrelated to the service has co-coincidentally sprung a leak (possible, but unlikely), it shouldn't cost you anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭smree

THanks for your replies.

The car is a 99 Fiat Punto and the oil was changed and a new oil filter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

You didn't take it to a Fiat main dealer in Cork by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If there is a tray below the engine the oil could be dripping from it. Sometimes when the filter is changed the mechanic can let oil spill from the filter - it lands on the tray and slowly drips to the ground. So might not be too serious. But it does need to be checked in case the filter or sump bung has not been correctly tightened as suggested by previous posters.

Advertisement