Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The System Has Failed is a great album.

• 28-05-2006 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Just picked up Megadeth's The System Has Failed the other day, and I've been listening to constantly since. Excellent album altogether.

Last year I had picked up a load of older Megadeth albums that I hadn't really listening to since the dark ages of tapes, but I had been very apprehensive about buying some newer stuff. How wrong I was.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I wouldn't call it a great album but it is decent enough. The World Needs A Hero is about the same quality, some really good bits, some not so good bits but solid as a whole. Avoid Risk though, avoid it like you'd avoid rabies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Have to disagree there, Doc. TWNAH was alright,not bad at all actually, with a few classic Mustaine moments here and there, but a breath of fresh air after Risk for sure. TSHF, however, is a complete return to form (relatively speaking of course). It's just so damn good and has a really classic Mustaine feel to it and i love it. The Scorpion, for example, ranks up there with the very best Megadeth ever did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ancient1 wrote:
    The Scorpion, for example, ranks up there with the very best Megadeth ever did.

I wouldn't go that far, but it's a damn good song indeed. :D

I definitely would man. I've been a Mustaine fanatic for so long, i can just smell that Mustaine style a mile away! It's quintessential Megadeth.

Edit: Naturally i would never ever compare this stuff to RIP, but Mustaine's style will always shine through, that's what i meant to say.

Ancient1 wrote:
    I definitely would man. I've been a Mustaine fanatic for so long, i can just smell that Mustaine style a mile away! It's quintessential Megadeth.

Edit: Naturally i would never ever compare this stuff to RIP, but Mustaine's style will always shine through, that's what i meant to say.

Yeah, fair enough so. No arguements that it's a great song though.

Tell me though, what do you make of Marty Friedman's solo albums? Was listening to Dragon's Kiss again a while ago, and man that's some great stuff.

• Advertisement

Marty is just incredible but what i sometimes find lacking in his solo albums is structure - structure that Mustaine provides oh so well. ;)

:p

Ancient1 wrote:
    Marty is just incredible but what i sometimes find lacking in his solo albums is structure - structure that Mustaine provides oh so well. ;)

:p

Yeah, I get what you're saying, but it is solo albums we're on about, what structure would you really expect other than ****? :D

True! **** is good man, I'm not one to shy away from total fretboard-****, but for someone as talented as Marty, it could and should be better!

I couldn't care less about the solo efforts of Vai, Satriani etc - but Marty is a different story altogether. That motherfukcer can add spice and soul like no one else.

Yeah, Marty is like no other guitarist, and if you ever heard my playing recently, you'd definetly know who's alter I'm bowing at. He even adorns my desktop at times.

Still, I've only got Dragon's Kiss, so maybe I'm at a bit of a loss, but there's some fantastic songs on offer there like Forbidden City. I don't know how you could get much better than that.

Listening to Marty doesn't usually encourage me to play - he normally makes me want to weep like a little bitch and throw my guitar off the balcony. :D

But my final say for this evening has to be this - turn up the volume for Kick the Chair and meditate on how such a simple riff can thoroughly obliterate your ass!

• Advertisement

Ancient1 wrote:
    Listening to Marty doesn't usually encourage me to play - he normally makes me want to weep like a little bitch and throw my guitar off the balcony. :D

But my final say for this evening has to be this - turn up the volume for Kick the Chair and meditate on how such a simple riff can thoroughly obliterate your ass!

Funny, Kick The Chair just started as soon as I opened this thread and saw this reply. :D

Honestly though, there's very few guitarists that'd make me nearly drop the guitar out of frustration. Marty ain't one. Petrucci is probably the most technically proficient on the planet, and while watching Rock Discipline the odd time it made me feel hopeless. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

the albums ok but not great, its not up there with the world needs a hero at all imo but its still a good album.Megadeth rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yep - no doubt. Heard Kick The Chair on the radio and had to hear the album...

For some strange reason I but it in my head with God Hates Us All, which is also a great album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

Megadeth were always pretty terrible imo. Mustaines got the most irritating voice in rock, that high pitched nasally whine. Everything i ever heard by them sucked nuts, to be frank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

at first i thought the album was great (and i'm not a big megadeth fan), but that was because i was comparing it (unfairly) to st.anger, so naturally it looked like a god-like album.

since, i rarely listen to it, and if i do, i skip through to the best tracks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

that said, I will be curious as to what kind of album they will release especially since The System Has Failed was meant to be their swansong album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I love TSHF, not their best but still a solid release.
    You have to love Shadow of Deth. That riff is so catchy and the song sets such an atmosphere.

Slurms wrote:
    You have to love Shadow of Deth.

The vocals on that one crack me up - it sounds like Arnold (Ahnuld). :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Ancient1 wrote:
    The vocals on that one crack me up - it sounds like Arnold (Ahnuld). :p
    Yeah, but i still like it. Just so god damn atmospheric!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Actually I just recently picked up the system has failed myself , I hadnt listened to it in about a year and felt it was time to give youthanasia a rest ;) , Its one hell of a good album , gotta say Im totally addicted to Die dead enough at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Out Of Order

Slurms wrote:
    I love TSHF, not their best but still a solid release.

What he said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I have to say, I had all the megadeth albums upon the release of TSHF, and I must say, I was and still am thoroughly disappointed with it. A few heavy songs, but way too melodic and simple. The only true "megadeth" part is the end of truth be told. The rest just isn't right.

Advertisement