Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water tower height

Options
  • 28-05-2006 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

anyone any ideas how i wud find out the height of the water tower

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Its about the same size as my penis so Id have to say 90ft

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Climb it wth an altimiter watch;)

I looked at an aeronautical charts i happen to have that say theres an obstacle thats 360ft (420ft ASL, inc ground level) but im thinking thats the rte mast - is it as high as that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

its a bit less but not much less, i need an exact height both above ground level and above sea level

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Yeah, I'd imagine that 360ft could only be the mast down at Montrose.

Looking at a photo and judging the scale against the fences from the tennis courts I'd reckon it's about 30m from the ground.

• Advertisement

Well, there you go, now we know who wears the Google-using trousers in this house...*

* until June 12

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

does it really carry water?

yep its used to create water pressure

zap wrote:
    yep its used to create water pressure
    As well as providing the height necessary for the Belfield FM transmitter, eh, zap? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Well, there you go, now we know who wears the Google-using trousers in this house...*

* until June 12

Christ google-using trousers...what an invention.

/me wants a pair.

I have nothing to add to the water tower height debate. I am a girl and know nothing of spacial reasoning...see Dad's scratched car for details. :o

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It's definitely used for water pressure - i saw a pipe in an open closet in Science labelled 'Water from Tower'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Grimes wrote:
    Its about the same size as my penis so Id have to say 90ft

I think you have ft confused with mm grimeys;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

I don't know but everytime I look up at it from right underneath I always think its gonna topple over on me. An irrational fear I can't get rid of

ok judging from the JohnPaul Construction site we have a height above ground level, anyone know above sea level?

If the RTE mast is 360ft from ground and 420ft from sea level we could assume that UCD soil is 60ft ASL too?

60ft = 720" = 1828.8cm = 18.288m.
    So 18.3m + 57m = 75.3m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

If the RTE mast is 360ft from ground and 420ft from sea level we could assume that UCD soil is 60ft ASL too?

60ft = 720" = 1828.8cm = 18.288m.
    So 18.3m + 57m = 75.3m.

Sounds right..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I dont mean to spoil all the fun but why does it matter if its above sea level or not? Unless you are out at sea, and need to know how far it is upwards to the bottom of the UCD water tower ? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Wow, Mr Always-One-Step-Too-Far complaining about bringing things one step too far... :p

The ironing is delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Slightly on topic... sorry :) The watertower is actually visible from the prehistoric cemetery complex at Loughcrewe, Co. Meath.

(On a fine day, that is...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

^^
    cool

• Advertisement

Why do you want to know the height of the water tower above sea level and at ground level zap?

I'm waiting on a answer.....if possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I can see it really clearly from the top of my apartment block here in Dartry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

I can see it from my bedroom in Donnybrook, so I'd say it's pretty tall...

Advertisement