Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plea for Gripe Water!!!

• 28-05-2006 2:28am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

From what my family have been telling me, the lovely Gripe Water is no longer available in Ireland for some odd reason or another, but is in the UK... I figure that it must still be available in this country somewhere, God knows where, but somewhere... failing that online.

So, can anyone help me track down gripe water that won't involve a short flight to the UK? I'm living in Dublin, so anywhere in the city that sells it would be great, or a good website that delivers to Ireland (and is a good price!) would be just as good.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Afaik, and Im not 100% sure who, who or when I heard this. But they havnt got any stock in due to some sort of distributer problem. Dont know when its going to be fixed.

Used to love that stuff when I was a kid tbh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

what is gripe water?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

my sister had the same problem a couple of weeks ago, she had to get my girlfriend to pick some up when she was in belfast. See can you find any shops up there that'll deliver.

-Funk

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I too loved that stuff when I was a kid. It used to have alcohol in it, does it still? If you get your hands on some I hope you're not going to waste it on a kid :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I loved gripe water, jesus I'd drink the bottle if I could. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

what is gripe water?

Its a type of liquid sedative for infants afaik... put it on their dummies to knock them out :D I think it also sooths collic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭onemanband

A lot of the chemists in newry have it. Boots in the quays shopping centre for example. 1 hour from dublin with the new dundalk bypass open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Saintly

My sister had the same problem when my nephew was born. Cue, my brother buying a ridiculous amount of gripe water in Heathrow! Anyhow, she managed to eventually find an alternative, it's a small pot thing that my nephew guzzled up, I will track down the name later..

Saintly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Ha, I used to drink that stuff by the bottle when I was a toddler! My parents had to put a lock on the press it was kept in to stop me climbing up and getting at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sico wrote:
    Ha, I used to drink that stuff by the bottle when I was a toddler! My parents had to put a lock on the press it was kept in to stop me climbing up and getting at it.

Same with me. Couldn't get enough of that wonderful, wonderful gripe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

dunnes sells gripe water. nappy lane. at least they did when i worked there two years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

mmmmmmm gripewater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

xzanti wrote:
    Its a type of liquid sedative for infants afaik... put it on their dummies to knock them out :D I think it also sooths collic

they have a sweet tasting sedative the babies drink by the bottle???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Wow, so many wonderful memories!

May it soon be back on our shop selves!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

After doing the rounds it looks like the Irish Medicines Board took it off the market in Ireland, not sure why exactly (as the alcohol version was replaced by a non-alcoholic version a year or two before it disappeared).

Surely it can't be bad for people, look at all of us Gripe Water babies, there's nothing wrong with us... oh, wait... :D

My sister was speaking to someone she works with about looking for Gripe water, and she mentioned that when she was a kid, they'd all kneck a bottle of it before they went into the discos :D; not only would you be wasted, you'd also have zero wind complaints!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Hi All

I'm having the same problem with my baby girl. My wife’s parents said they used Gripe Water and was great help .

Was removed from shelves in Ireland b/c of an EU directive that it contained alcohol.

Have looked around and the UK and Northern Ireland still stock it. Boot in any city in the North or England will have it.

http://www.boots.com/guidedsearch/newsearch.jsp?searchArea=1&searchTerm=GRIPE+WATER+&Go.x=34&Go.y=6&uri=%2Fonlineexperience%2Fflexible_template_2006_publish.jsp&classificationId=1043920&contentId=&articleId=&N=0&Ntk=all&Nty=1

I also came across another forum that advised that they found

WELEDA - Chamomilla 3X

http://www.weleda.co.uk/categories/name/teething-colic

To be better than the new gripe water.

Also that Dr Brown Colic bottles were great
    http://www.edirectory.ie/ir/10000/moreinfoa/d/dr+brown+feeding+bottle+twin+pack/pid/1649197

http://www.bubblebaby.ie/shop-Bottles-51-32.html

Hope some of this helps .

Regards

Alan

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

> 2008

And still the elusive gripe water is hard to find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Thank you Alan. If anyone requires the information, that'll help + there's some more info in the Parenting forum (Do a search. If a new thread is required, start a thread there please).
    Old thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement