Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What should my girlfriend change her car to ?

Options
  • 28-05-2006 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My girlfriend is thinking about selling her car because she thinks it's too boring.

It's a Silver 02 Almera 1.5 Saloon with 38K miles on it (Perfect nick)

She want's to get a nicer car (but not too big) and a bit more fun, for around the 16,000 Euro Mark.

She was toying with the idea of an A3, but the price the Audi dealer offered for the almera was laughable (5000 Euro) !!!!

Anyhow - any ideas what she could get for that sort of money ?

And what do you reckon would be a decent price for her current car ?

By the way - she's not interested at all in Renault, Peugeot or Citroen.

Thanks !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Hyundai Coupe?
    or
    Mazda Mx-5?

An 02 Almera isn't going to be worth a whole lot anywhere you go. It seems most people have come to the same conclusion as your g/f! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

An 02 Almera isn't going to be worth a whole lot anywhere you go. It seems most people have come to the same conclusion as your g/f!
    I disagree - It's a good car, just a bit boring in her opinion.
    And I reckon an offer of 5 grand from a dealer is an insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Generally dealers give poor money for cars they don't deal in. To get a good offer, you'd have to go to a Nissan dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

for 16k you could get a very well specced new punto?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

sell the car privately. you will get a much better price and you can haggle with any dealer you choose because you have'nt got a trade-in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'd imagine she could get 8-9k selling private but it could take a while...then again she could be lucky and the right buyer is out there just looking for one of these.

For her, then I would suggest one of these

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=431527

for 16k you could get a very well specced new punto?
    You're joking, right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

deadl0ck wrote:
    Hi all,

My girlfriend is thinking about selling her car because she thinks it's too boring.

It's a Silver 02 Almera 1.5 Saloon with 38K miles on it (Perfect nick)

She want's to get a nicer car (but not too big) and a bit more fun, for around the 16,000 Euro Mark.

She was toying with the idea of an A3, but the price the Audi dealer offered for the almera was laughable (5000 Euro) !!!!

Anyhow - any ideas what she could get for that sort of money ?

And what do you reckon would be a decent price for her current car ?

By the way - she's not interested at all in Renault, Peugeot or Citroen.

Thanks !!

what type of engine does she want?

does she want a powerfull car or one that just looks nice?

what type of engine does she want?
    1.4 - 1.6
    does she want a powerfull car or one that just looks nice?
    More looks TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If she wants an A3, she should try a few different Audi dealers. I reckon €6,000
    for the Almera is about right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

deadl0ck wrote:
    You're joking, right ?

no, i'm picking one up this week, a 1.4 dynamic. fairly decent spec and probably the best looking car in it's class

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

She could buy a nice Focus ;) Ah go on go on go on!!

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=532&cat=2

Nice try Yop :)

She's not going to go back a year from an 02 to an 01

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

FYI, I traded a '02 almera in recently for € 6500, and that was considered huge money for it.

FYI, I traded a '02 almera in recently for € 6500, and that was considered huge money for it.

Jebus ! It looks like the only way she'll get a decent price for it is to sell it privately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Have an Audi A3 for sale at the moment, its a 00 and looking for 10,500 for it, its the GF cars and the only reason she is selling is because she is off to Oz for the year, its a lovely car to drive and has alot of extras that normal A3 wont come with as standard

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054890290

Very nice looking A3, but like I said, she doesn't want to get an older car then she already has.

Hyuandi Coupe is beginning to look likely....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

boards just ate my post with a database error, so i'll try again more briefly:
    Asking price for '02 coupes with average mileage (50-60k) is about 16 grand. I got my own for 11.5k + my '00 fiesta zetec with 72000 miles. '01 and older (i.e. the less pretty older model) coupes can be had for peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Hows about a Mini Cooper? Great looking machine and the lassies seem to be into them (I know my gf has her heart set on one!)
    Here is a 03 for your money http://www.cbg.ie/Car_detail.asp?CBGID=453845&ID=722653&NumPics=0&Make=Mini&Model=Cooper&frmFilter=Year. The Almera could be tricky to shift though as there are so many available second hand. You should still expect to get around 7-8k for it though, 5k is a bit of a joke. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I just allowed 6.5k for a 02 Almera, there's just too many of them around. 6.5k was considered big money by the Trade. As regards a MINI, I would be biased as I sell them, but they are the one car on the market at the moment that really doesn't depreciate at all. I'm still amazed by the residual values 5 years on. Wish I has 02/03's to sell though, can't get enough of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

deadl0ck wrote:
    I disagree - It's a good car, just a bit boring in her opinion.
    And I reckon an offer of 5 grand from a dealer is an insult.

that almera saloon shows complete contempt for anything that would qualify as imagination. people who drive them tend to do so because 1) they don't know any better or 2) they've always bought nissans.

kudos to her for figuring out that it's not the place to be.

if she likes the practicality of a saloon and wants something worth washing on a sunday afternoon tell her to try a 1.8T A4. it's kinda like the car the almera would love for itself to be. i don't want to hear any of that tax/ fuel rubbish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Re: The Audi, you'd be lucky to find a 01 1.8T for €16,000 and even then it would have far more mileage than the Almera. Also, as the buyer isn't bothered about driving fast, it seems a bit strange to pay that much money and go back a year just for a fancy Passat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

Pity she can't splash out a little more. I drive an Ibiza, but would love a Leon. This is a foxy car imo, and has been rated very well. Looks good, and most are aware, Seats are known to use VW parts.

Probably not her thing but.. flushed to the rear.. hawt :eek:

Advertisement