Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT broadband

• 28-05-2006 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi

I'm going to order BT broadband but I'm not sure whether or not to get the wireless modem they have.

I have a computer downstairs without a wireless card etc..
    Also I have a laptop with wireless what-not.

Needless to say, I want to be able to use broadband on both.

Should I get the regular wired modem and get a wireless router separately or should I get the wireless modem.

If I get the wireless modem, will I have to get some wireless card for my computer? If so how much will this cost?

All things considered, what is my best option?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

If it is a wireless modem + router from BT I would suggest getting it, pretty much only for tech support. If you ring up with any problems at all and you are using a different modem to what they sent you they will ask you to reconnect their modem. (Apart from a few small things at the start, BT have been very reliable so I have no probs there.)

As for the wireless card for your PC, there is no need, you can transmit wireless for your laptop and have a lan cable or usb cable to connect to your PC. (of course this means that ideally you should have a phone port near your PC as this is where the modem will be.)

Apart from all this, a seperate modem and wireless router is just unnesessarily messy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

do not go to bt man they fill your head with **** no offence i been waiting 2-3 months for mine and all there doing is blaming eircom get digiweb it seems better and cheaper bt are nothing but time wasters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

they are 100% fine, I use a wireless router with them not the official one they send out but still. their packages are solid and quick, don't mind what these nutters say ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Jakkass wrote:
    they are 100% fine, I use a wireless router with them not the official one they send out but still. their packages are solid and quick, don't mind what these nutters say ;)

There are an awful lot of nutters around here so ;)

GuyIncognito, please read some of the threads outlining the massive problems people are having with BT before you make up your mind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Jakkass wrote:

Nutters indeed!:rolleyes:

Read this for example:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054938314

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

this may help if you get BB band
    ;-)

the top brass :

bill.murphy@bt.com

michael.maloney@bt.com

jim.2.russell@bt.com

and :

Michelle McLaughlin

Complaints Officer

Tel +353 1-432-7223
    complaints@btireland.ie

Whatever you do, know that there will always be more people willing to air there complaints on a service over their compliments. (I'm not having a go at the lads above, its human nature.) I would tend to look at threads that are stickys and start with "collating complaints against", you can't really argue with that....

I for one find BT to be brilliant.

Whatever you do, know that there will always be more people willing to air there complaints on a service over their compliments. (I'm not having a go at the lads above, its human nature.) I would tend to look at threads that are stickys and start with "collating complaints against", you can't really argue with that....

I for one find BT to be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 clipper1981

I have just connected to BT broadband and while the DSL connection is excellent I find wireless very slow. I have the standard router and also a wirless card on my labtop. How can I strengthen the wireless speed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Turn off any power saving options for the wifi.
    Laptops are whores for powersaving.

Which Wifi card u got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I had serious problems with BT. Their service wouldn't work in the house, I had an eircom engineer out to check wiring and they confirmed the house was fine. BT agreed to close the account / contract void - but they kept taking money out of my account. BT agreed I owed nothing, but still kept taking money out.

No amount of phone calls would solve it. I had to contact my bank and they had to reverse the direct debit - retrieve money. BT continued to try to take money out - each time incurring a 12.75 charge by my bank.

Eventually I got a bad credit letter from BT Credit Debt!!
    I had to threaten legal action via a registered letter to their accounts and complaints debt (cc-ed to my Bank and my Solicitor) to get them to resolve the issue.

BT really are a shower of eejets. How a company could fail so miserably at resolving that issue is beyond me.

Wouldn't touch with a barge pole!! They could easily ruin your credit rating via their inefficiencies. They are quick on the ball to report for lack of payment - they report people who haven't been customers for years. Next thing you find our is you cannot get a mortgage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

I have two days left of the cooling-off period for BT but who else is there that provides:

Option 2 broadband plus line rental plus unlimited national and local calls for €55? Is there a similar package elsewhere with good customer service?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

if it works and if they billed you correctly then they are the best deal around on a landline.

Yorky wrote:
    Option 2 broadband plus line rental plus unlimited national and local calls for €55?

It sounds great on paper .... but I bet it does not work out that way.
    They are a complete shower!! I don't know how they get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

FYI, bill murphy is long gone from BT. not sure who's replaced him.

i always found BTs products to be top notch compared with similar products in ireland, but their billing, support and customer services departments are abysmal.

it took me 6 months of fighting to get a billing issue sorted out that kept putting me overdrawn, and eventually an email to good old bill m sorted it, but those days are gone as i said.

i moved house on the 10th of march and it took bt 73 days to get my line transferred from eircom and activate it for voice, and by the time i get my dsl on again it will have been another month on top of that according to my 'go live' date.

as always, according to BT the majority of the blame falls at eircoms door, but i doubt i will ever find out who is responsible.

initially the person handling my change of address was pretty forthcoming with info, but that soon dried up.

i emailed BT's complaints depeartment and CC'd customer services, michelle mclaughlin and a cust services manager by the name of julie lucid who had dealt with my billing issue when i complained to bill m, but i did not get a single reply, not even an automated one, which apparently they are legally obliged to furnish me with.

eventually i went to comreg, but they wouldn't deal with my complaint because i hadn't been right through BT's complaints procedure and got a reference no.

eventually i got them to contact BT on my behalf, but i never heard back from either.

the only way i even got the phone on was by contacting a friend of a friend who knows someone in the business dept. and they got someone to look into it, but i have no doubt that if it wasn't for that, i'd stll be waiting for the phone line to be connected, never mind the DSL.

in the end, once i had someone competent looking into it, it took less than 30 minutes to get the phoneline working but it's discusting that it took something like that to get anything done about it.

but, even after all that,i know that once it is eventually all set up, it will be the best available, and as soon as my exchange is unbundled, i'll be moving over to a bigger, better business dsl package.

For the sake of paying an extra 20 quid a month .... really worth it??
    I wouldn't stay with a company who treat their customers like that.

BT are Cheap and nasty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Jakkass wrote:
    their packages are solid and quick, don't mind what these nutters say
    I'm one of the "nutters". You're right, their packages are solid and quick. However their service and in particular billing are atrocious -- accurate bills are a rarity, if you get billed at all, in which case they'll set debt collectors on you in two years time when you owe them about two grand.

The people that are telling you not to do it are wrong, you should do what you like. It would be advisable, however, to make an informed opinion, and I'm afraid calling people that have been abused and robbed by BT "nutters" tends to demonstrate that you're not.

Nutters don't have a legitimate reason for their actions. We do.

adam

Ken Shabby, well said ... +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nearlyhappy

Jakkass wrote:
    don't mind what these nutters say ;)

There was once a time when I may have agreed with this post.

The anti BT sentiment around here is somewhat agressive....but.

Then I made the ultimate mistake, I joined BT...

Since then, according to my call logs, in 8 months I have spent a little over 11 hours on the phone to BT. Yes 11 hours, not kidding...

Along with 17 emails to cust service by the way.

So what is it that has me in this awful pickle I hear you ask?

Denail of bb service? No
    Shoddy bb service? No
    Intermittant bb service? No

All I'm trying to get is a correct bill, yes you heard me straight...a correct bill.

Thats all......a bill which says how much I owe....

But I've failed...

Oh well

Nh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

There was once a time when I may have agreed with this post.

The anti BT sentiment around here is somewhat agressive....but.

Then I made the ultimate mistake, I joined BT...

Since then, according to my call logs, in 8 months I have spent a little over 11 hours on the phone to BT. Yes 11 hours, not kidding...

Along with 17 emails to cust service by the way.

So what is it that has me in this awful pickle I hear you ask?

Denail of bb service? No
    Shoddy bb service? No
    Intermittant bb service? No

All I'm trying to get is a correct bill, yes you heard me straight...a correct bill.

Thats all......a bill which says how much I owe....

But I've failed...

Oh well

Nh
    As a matter of interest, have you registered for online billing? Are the online bills incorrect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I've never had any cause for complaint with BT.
    When I got my Eircom line I called BT and had the account switched and BB turned on within 2 weeks. Just filled out the online form, no further calls or emails required.
    Online bill and paper copy always arrive on time. Only time the bill was wrong was earlier this year when some extra items were billed, BUT i had already received a email from BT to inform me of the error and that i would be refunded in the following bill which I was.
    I may be a rarity but i find BT excellent, even their billing department :eek:

I've been signed up with the company since 2003 no service problems whatsoever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nearlyhappy

Foxwood wrote:
    As a matter of interest, have you registered for online billing? Are the online bills incorrect?

Ya I've always been online billed.

The problem lies in the fact that you have to wait 2 months each time to find out that their so called customer care dept have f##ked up again.

There is no actual way to check how much you owe them at a particular time, because the muppets on the frontline are reading the same bill you are...

Wan##rs

Nh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

The problem lies in the fact that you have to wait 2 months each time to find out that their so called customer care dept have f##ked up again.
    Yeah, I've never really understood why Irish utilities have this thing about 2-monthly bills. I can't think of any obvious advantage for the customer, and I would have thought that the increased risk of missed payment or late payment would be higher with bigger bills, so I don't see what the advantage is for the utility company - it can't save them that much money, can it? I know that eircom can send out monthly bills (because my parents get a monthly eircom bill), but all my utility bills seem to be bi-monthly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭litirspam

Hi guys,
    I am changing from UTV to Digiweb. Can anyone tell me is the wireless router any good? they sell it for €39.99. It is Zyxel 600-601
    Thanks

wrong thread this one is related to BT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭surveys

'Daemonic' you must indeed be a rarity. ! do you have a father or brother in the Garda. ? :confused: If you had not written it I would have doubted such an 'utopia' situation existed. ! Maybe your phone line is leaking gold right into BT Ireland's offices. ? :D Anyway. Good luck.. long may it continue.

Maybe we are wasting our time on here. ? Have a look at this.
    BT Ireland revenues up 26% to €470m
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/...yid=single6462

We must be a 'very' insignificant thorn for BT with so much other revenue pouring in ?

Advertisement