Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock / Alternative / Metal Pub in Galway?

Options
  • 28-05-2006 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi guys,

been here for a year now and ok, with enough bulmers I can stand that pop crap long enough for an evening or two but it is _enough already_! Does any of you guys know of a decent Pub in Galway that does not play the same chart songs each and every night but will also play some Alternative, Rock or Metal even? I happened to end up in Sally Longs on a radom day in the week (cant remember which) and the music was OK, then went back on a Friday and oh my god was it bad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

yeah sallys has gone to ****. brittney spears was on last time i was in there ffs. only other one i can think of might be the cellar every now and again or bar 903 the very odd time

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

may i suggest the Róisín Dubh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Richardsons has some metalheads nights i think,Otherwise if you can build a time machine i would highly recommend you check out Vagabonds in Salthill....what a place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You need to go to Sally Longs on a Wednesday! This is imperative for a good rock night.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Richardson's (Eyre Sq. have a gig or few on every week.
    The Roisn Dubh is undergoing refurbishments but you'll find some good oul stompy bands there now and again.
    Sally's on a wednesday is a bit heavier - that may have been the evening you were there. Thursdays and the weekend means the pre-CPs dollies and shirts will be in there buying booze and the music varied accordingly.
    To be honest, you've more of a chance seeing alt/rock/punk/metal live music than you do hearing similar stuff played in pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

i think this thread proves that galway needs another live venue/pub that actually plays some good stuff such as Alternative/indie stuff or just good ole rock.
    every place that has opened in last few years such as living room/ti na n-og etc, are aimed at the regular cp's crowd with absolutely no variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ripclaw

You're absolutely right. I mean, I dont mind throwing the odd look at some flimsy skirts whilst drinking a pint, but this CP crowd is getting on my nerves. And it is always the same music, usually even in the same order. What is it with them, do they have one mixed tape they pass around?

Sally Longs: yeah it may have been Wednesday. Gonna check it out again one of these weeks.

MrJones wrote:
    i think this thread proves that galway needs another live venue/pub that actually plays some good stuff such as Alternative/indie stuff or just good ole rock.
    every place that has opened in last few years such as living room/ti na n-og etc, are aimed at the regular cp's crowd with absolutely no variety.

Yeah id have to agree with that one.All pubs are pretty much the same with the same music being played.I wouldnt say Ti na N-og is a CPs head place they have some good trad sessions in there and its a nice place to sit outside on a sunny day.As good as it would be to have a pub playing alternative/rock/metal i just dont think you would attract as many customers everynight as you would playing chart ****e.Music never really turns me off a going to a pub its more the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

sound therapy (when it was on) was savage. it was in the Pucon on wed nights but i think they stopped them now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

padi89 wrote:
    I wouldnt say Ti na N-og is a CPs head place they have some good trad sessions in there and its a nice place to sit outside on a sunny day.

Have you got Tigh na Nog confused with somewhere else? There isn't anywhere to sit outside except possibly the footpath :D Also I've never heard traditional music in there.
    padi89 wrote:
    As good as it would be to have a pub playing alternative/rock/metal i just dont think you would attract as many customers everynight as you would playing chart ****e.

This is very true unfortunately.

I haven't read through the thread fully so I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned upstairs in Richardsons yet? There used to be great punk gigs in there last year. I haven't been able to make it in there in a long time so I'm not sure if they're still going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

padi89 wrote:
    Yeah id have to agree with that one.All pubs are pretty much the same with the same music being played.I wouldnt say Ti na N-og is a CPs head place they have some good trad sessions in there and its a nice place to sit outside on a sunny day.As good as it would be to have a pub playing alternative/rock/metal i just dont think you would attract as many customers everynight as you would playing chart ****e.Music never really turns me off a going to a pub its more the crowd.
    I think you mean Tig Coli (or however you spell it), next door to the Bank of Ireland :)

I think you mean Tig Coli (or however you spell it), next door to the Bank of Ireland :)

Yep my mistake :rolleyes: Ti Coli is what i meant.Ti na Nog is a totally different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bat boy

Punk rock gig on this sunday if anyone is interested

USvsTHEM presents

Teenage Casket Company
    The Dangerfields
    Dein Kampf
    The Demise

Richardsons Bar, Galway
    Sun June 4th 9pm

€6/ladies free

All bands have myspace accounts. Check them out..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Galway could do with a serious Hard Rock / Metal pub, in September 04, i went to see Rush play in London, Manchester, Birmingham and Glasgow, and the days spent in proper Rock pubs were incredible,:cool: if i ever get enough money, i;ll open one.

Advertisement