Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trading Essays

Options
  • 28-05-2006 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Would anybody be interested in trading essays?
    Ive got some really good ones. If a group got together and traded (photocopied) their essays that got good marks it would be one really good way of revising!

English
    Composing Essays
    Michael Longley, Bishop, Plath, Donne and Hopkins. King Lear Essays.

Geography
    Sustainable Development
    Global Warming
    Models of Development

I have some German Letters also that got high grades.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Ye ever heard of plagarism?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I hate this argument.....just because you look over an essay doesn't mean you're 'plagiarising' it...that's saying you can't use notes, or even a textbook for gods sake, because you're merely robbing material, using someone elses work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

ha ha ha.......

you guys crack me up :)

so desperate for results, do you run on information or something? like johnny 5 the robot - "need input", "more input" after reading a whole library. :rolleyes:

i'll offer you an out of date luas card for one of your essays...

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Trade??? LOL put them up for free for god sake, this board has tons of lurkers. Btw, insult the lurkers all you want, they can't insult you back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭IbanezFreak

smemon wrote:
    ha ha ha.......

you guys crack me up :)

so desperate for results, do you run on information or something? like johnny 5 the robot - "need input", "more input" after reading a whole library. :rolleyes:

i'll offer you an out of date luas card for one of your essays...

We'll actually Im fairly grand for results im well gettin over 500 points anyway, Im not desperate for points. I fully agree with what the other guy sed, plagerism is like copying someones exam in an exam. How the hell can you be expected to caught plagerising for something thats fact like a global warming essay? Its actually the same for english,the poems meanings are givin in the poetry notes book you just have to copy the most important parts out! If people shared essays then you could extract the best parts from each one and form your own modelled one on it. Im absolutely postive that people do it in college all the time too. Did your teachers ever recommend you ever to form study groups? Well this would be more like a rapid revision study group! PM if anybodys interested

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭IbanezFreak

Lord Oz wrote:
    Trade??? LOL put them up for free for god sake, this board has tons of lurkers. Btw, insult the lurkers all you want, they can't insult you back!

what do you mean lurkers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

what do you mean lurkers?
    People who read, but never post.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

Kwekubo wrote:
    People who read, but never post.

thats so weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

the poems meanings are givin in the poetry notes book you just have to copy the most important parts out!

Am I the only one who expresses themselves in English an actually gives a personal opinion? Poetry is supposed to be interpreted by the reader. When I'm preparing a poetry essay I have the poems out in front of me and nothing else, although I might use the occasional quote from a critic that my teacher would tell me or I'd find online. I recently got an A for saying Patrck Kavanagh was emo(no joke, a critic said he was a "Whingeing, Self Pitying Introvert" and I backed it up :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

I didn't think people actually responded to the poetry. Thats almost like enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

JC 2K3: You're not alone, I form my own opinions about poems as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Psychedelik

Forming opinions is one thing, but what I find really irritating is the emphasis on personal response - "I think this", "I think that". At least in the Lear question you get to flex your writing ability and be objective about it. And any sort of study of rhythm and rhyme has been thrown out the window as well; there's hardly a mention of it in LC notes.

It's a babyish kind of answer, I think. Anyone agree?

Forming opinions is one thing, but what I find really irritating is the emphasis on personal response - "I think this", "I think that". At least in the Lear question you get to flex your writing ability and be objective about it. And any sort of study of rhythm and rhyme has been thrown out the window as well; there's hardly a mention of it in LC notes.

It's a babyish kind of answer, I think. Anyone agree?

Is an opinion not the same as a persoal response? I'm not sure I understand what you mean? I feel the same amount of freedom writing about drama(Macbeth in my case, LC next summer) as I do about poetry.

I don't know what you're on about when you say any study of rhyme and rhythm has been thrown out the window... if you don't dicuss rhyme and rhythm then you won't get an A.... I don't use notes much when forming my answers, but my teacher makes us write down notes on poems that she ahs compiled herself(a mixture of different books of LC poetry notes and critics' quotes), and there is reference to rhyme and rhythm frequently...

NADA wrote:
    I didn't think people actually responded to the poetry. Thats almost like enjoying it.

Enjoying poetry?? The horror!!

In any case, it's not really about enjoying the poems specifically, it's about enjoying analysis of poetry, if you think the poetry is a load of crap then you can write about them being a load of crap and come away with an A if you've supported your opinions.

if you don't dicuss rhyme and rhythm then you won't get an A

That's news for me! Have barely touched on rhythm and rhyme and not told to bother with it much! If you show engagement and be all personal about it, you get your A (I'm told).

But yea, trading essays. Who wants to make the first submission?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

you dont need to write a thing on rhythm & rhyme if its not necessary..
    it might just look like you have run out of things to write, so you just decide to write a paragraph on it..
    i really odnt think an A depends on it..

This essay will probably be useless to most people, but sure i'll post it..
    its not even very good, only got a b3 for it.

sorry for any mistakes, i had it typed up from ages ago, and never corrected it.. just copied and pasted..

Cultural Context

“A narrative text creates its own unique world in which the reader can share.”

William Shakespeare’s “King Lear” is set seemingly worlds apart from director Elia Kazan’s film “On The Waterfront”, and in many ways that’s true. George Eliot’s “Silas Marner” has links that can be associated with both modern society, and a lifestyle that we have almost long forgotten. The 3 texts create their own world for us to delve into – all so different, but with the common traits of human nature and behaviour linking them together. Through topics like religion, time/place setting, and power structures we can begin to understand and compare the cultural context each piece is set in.

The initial factor that hits you when you when considering these 3 texts is probably the most significant; the time and place they are set in as that alone can often get you into the right frame of mind to understand the plotlines. I found the setting to be most easily defined in “On The Waterfront”; contemporarily based around the New York docklands in the 1950’s. This is indicated by the visual things you see when watching it – the clothes, hairstyles, buildings, and the location given away by the accents. Rewind to the late 1700’s/early 1800’s for Silas Marner’s world, in the rural heartland of England. A village with little outside influence; it’s own labourers and workers seen in the squire, farmers, weaver and butcher. The medical knowledge is undeveloped, seen with the references to herbal remedies and uncertainties about illness. Go back even further to Celtic Britain to find the story of Lear and his kingdom. The finer details of the time and place are not well defined, but in terms of the plot, they’re not hugely relevant. There are encounters with the court, the heath, cliffs, and briefly a battlefield; a rural setting is implied, in a pagan world.

Religion is not a big part of the culture found in “King Lear”; we have references to “the gods”, a sign that’s it’s set in pre-Christian times, but on a whole, religion does not play a part in carrying the plot from start to finish. It’s much more visible in “Silas Marner”, and in this novel we can see a contrast in religious outlooks. In Lantern Yard, religion was important, but Marner lost faith after the incident with William Dane, feeling as if God has deceived him. In Raveloe, people may not be as “technically” religious as Lantern Yard (not knowing the Bible as such), but the church is the social centre of the village. Marner, still bitter after the church’s injustice in Lantern Yard, avoids it. Through Dolly Winthrop he is encouraged to at least stop working on a Sunday. When Eppie arrives though, things change, and God begins to play a role in Marner’s life again. Raveloe showed signs and traits of being “neighbourly”, something which has a basis in Christianity, even if unknown to themselves. In “On The Waterfront”, the church is partly responsible for the revolt against Johnny Friendly, and it’s the centre for linking the community; the meeting following Joey’s death takes place in the church. Fr. Barry, you can tell, is respected by those around him, even though for a long time he wasn’t very active in his duties, not living up to his title. The religious factor adds to the plotline, not in a dominating imposing way, but it helps compliment the storyline – most notably in Silas Marner, showing that religion played a more important role in rural life that urban.

In “On the Waterfront,” it was a time when employment for these working-class men was difficult to come by, never guaranteed, but they were so desperate for it, they were easily exploited by those in “command”. We can see the Irish influence in many of the characters, with names like Malloy, Doyle, and Skelly, and the priest, Fr. Barry. This is an indication of their Irish ancestors who emigrated to America, but never lived up to the “American Dream”, and their next generations are still struggling. “King Lear” supplies us with the opposite end; a royal family in Britain with the main character being the King. We’re not told much of the lower classes, with only brief references to servants. The fool, despite his lowly background perhaps, played a hugely significant role though – challenging the former king in terms of competence and awareness. This bridges the gap between upper and lower classes, and in “On The Waterfront”, a member of the working class, Terry, outwits someone seemingly above him – Johnny Friendly. Silas Marner again deals with both the rich and poor - a mixture of classes in its society and daily culture, a clear example seen with the reunification of Godfrey Cass and Eppie, through a mere weaver, Marner. Cass was seen to be at the higher end of society, but his is brought down, and his shady behaviour in the past returns to haunt him after the arrival of Eppie – something he thought he had escaped from. Saying that, there is a certain rigidness about class, and that you shouldn’t or couldn’t escape what you were – Cliff is laughed at for wanting his son, the son of a tailor, to become a gentleman. In all 3 cases there is no strict limit to the social class detailed in the plot, and we do get some insight into external influences on each class.

In “King Lear” the power structure presented to us is that of regal, official authority, although that is abused by Goneril and Regan, after they are granted Lear’s power. It is an issue central to the play, and features again in Edmund’s jealousy and anger and behaviour towards Edgar. When reigning, Lear appears to have lacked moral power, and decisiveness – his idea of dividing his land among his daughters based in their declarations of love to him says a lot about his misunderstanding of power and its uses. A different source of power can be seen in the setting of “On The Waterfront”, as it is dominated by one man, Johnny Friendly – a man overflowing with physical presence and power. He has created his group of loyal followers who do his dirty work for him; he has instilled fear into the community, and they are too afraid to do anything but oblige - people remain “d and d”. The gentry of Raveloe seen in “Silas Marner” through the Cass family were significant, but not as such overpowering in daily life – they stuck to themselves generally, just as the rest of the community stuck together.

The role of women in all 3 societies is non-significant. In “King Lear” there is an acceptation, as there are the two sisters, Goneril and Regan, but their importance is inherited from their father, and they would be respected whether male or female. A more realistic role to see the position of women would be in “Silas Marner”, with Dolly Winthrop providing a caring mothering character, representative of the village of Raveloe. Nancy Lamenter provides a different type of character, but in the end we see her equally good heart and intentions, despite initial uncertainties about her character. In each case, they play a noteworthy role in the background, seen again in “On The Waterfront” through Edie. It’s an important role for Terry undoubtedly but not necessarily for the docklands society. Edie was expected to leave and become a teacher – her “role” in this New York society would not be missed by anyone but those close to her. We as readers see the female characters as important, but that is for the benefit of the plotline – on a general note, women were not seen as important.

I thought the cultural context was most important for the “On the Waterfront” plotline, as the factors of society were combined and so clear – from pigeons to gangsters, and from the church’s role to unemployment – all the things important for this New York community. “Silas Marner” entices the reader into a world and the story of a simple weaver in a village – his own life’s development a consequence of his surroundings and location, of which Eliot gives ample detail of. In “King Lear”, despite the vagueness of dates and locations, an insight into the culture and lifestyles are given by Shakespeare, revolving around the latter part of Lear’s life. The 3 texts, all very different, succeed in creating 3 different unique settings for us – a setting and cultural context suited perfectly to the plotline and characters.

reading back over it, its actually reeeeally boring.. and lacking.. i dunno, purpose. but sure, its the only one i had typed up :)

That's news for me! Have barely touched on rhythm and rhyme and not told to bother with it much! If you show engagement and be all personal about it, you get your A (I'm told).

Fair enough, you could probably get away with it, but what's the harm in a simple, "In my opinion the rhyming of line 1 with 3 symbolises....." or "I think the fact that this stanza is shorter than the rest shows...."? It's not like it's inherently difficult or anything.

It has a good word count anyway: 1406. :D I'd be struggling to get that kind of length.

aye, but its a bit.. meh ;)

it aint all about quantity!

• Advertisement

it looks and sounds good. couldn't be bothered reading past the 1st line, examiner would probably say the same and give you an A. :)

im not even gonna use any of it ever though.. im only gonna do theme/issue, or literary genre

1 week guys, wooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

do cultural context its tipped to come up.

tipped from....?

in fairness, 2 come up.. so im covered both ways with literary genre and theme/issue.

cultural context bored me stupid after about 2 paragraphs...

i'll trade an essay on brazil for a summary of thomas hardy's poetry.

Brazil
    The name Brazil comes from Pau Brasil. There are around 145 million people living in Brazil, most of them near the coast. The population is growing rapidly and half of all Brazilians are under the age of 20. By the end of the century, it is estimated that Brazil's population will have reached 180 million. Brazil borders on ten other Latin American countries. Most of the northern part of Brazil is low-lying and veined by the mighty Amazon River and its tributaries. The Amazon is the largest river in the world. The native peoples of Brazil lived in the forests and along the rivers, hunting, fishing, and gathering fruits and nuts. When the Portuguese arrived early in the 16th century, it is estimated that there were between 1 and 2 million native Amerindian people. They were used as slaves, and many thousands died from diseases brought by the Europeans. Recently Amerindians have been exploited and killed as land speculators and highways go farther into the rain forest. There are probably less than 150,000 Indians now.

Portuguese settlers developed vast sugarcane estates in the Bahia region, and for 150 years these estates were in the world's main source of sugar. To work the estates, the owners used salves from Africa. Today there is still an African tradition in Brazil.

Modern immigration began early in the 19th century. Only about 4.5 million foreigners, mostly from Europe, settled in Brazil after then. Most were Italians and Portuguese, but there were also Spaniards and Germans, and later Slavs from Poland, Russia, and the Ukraine, and Arabs from the Middle East. In this century the most significant immigrants have been Japanese. They have become the most prosperous ethnic group in Brazil, growing a fifth of the coffee, a third of the cotton, and all the tea. Traditionally the majority of Brazilians settled near the coast, but in the last 30 years the rapid movement from rural areas to urban centers has led to a very uneven distribution of the population. In parts of the interior there is an average of just two people per square mile. More than 75 percent of the people live in towns. Half of these are in just two cities. Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro.

People have moved from rural areas to the towns to seek work and better medical and educational facilities for their families. But the reality has been very different. Tens of thousands of people now live in shantytowns or Favelas, on the outskirts of the cities, with little hope of ever getting a decent job. One of the features of Brazil is that many different races and peoples intermarry, making Brazilians one of the most varied peoples in the world. The average Brazilian has a fascinating family tree which may include a Portuguese great-grandfather, a native Indian grandmother, a slave grandfather, a German father, and so on.

Family ties are strong in Brazil. Three generations, including grandparents and young married couples, often live together in one house. Poorer families are frequently large, with five or six children, and grandparents look after the very young while the rest of the family work.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

summary of hardy's poetry:
    ****e :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Sawa

Rockerette wrote:
    im not even gonna use any of it ever though.. im only gonna do theme/issue, or literary genre

1 week guys, wooo.

Hi im erm new, i really like literary genre well not that i like it i find it easy to write about. any essay ive done on cultural context has been awful. i did a 7 page literary genre essay today with notes so if i can remember at least some of that on the day then thats a few pages!

i hope literary genre comes up, but it did last year. dunno :confused:

i'd be happiest doing theme or issue, Redemption all the way!

but i just think literary genre is way more interesting than cultural context.

but im not too worried either way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

i'm screwed i need somthing on Edmund,cultural context regarding "on the waterfront" and "Of Mice And men":( . please help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭roberta c

i seriously need poet essay! ive only got one done, and its not really something you can do without a teachers notes onit.... any one got anything?!....

Advertisement