Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teeth Bleaching process Demineralizes your teeth.

• 28-05-2006 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭

Well, at least according to a seller on eBay (search for 9524932253 ) that claims it does.

So is the very expensive (my local dentist recommended I do it - 650 euro) teeth bleaching going to leave my teeth in even worse condition than they already are ..abeit temporarily cosmetically nice ?

Fitzgeme (or another pro dentist) would love your input on this.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

It's not a new fact.. It also makes your teeth more sensitive
    It also erodes the outer enamel.

Try keep away from Stain type foods,

Such as Coffee,Wine,Ciggerettes

Brush twice a day

Drink pleny of water

Have a slice of cheese every now and then, it strenghtens and reminineralise your teeth.

Keep away from High brasive whitening toothpaste(most whitening toothpaste are, don't believe it if it says it's not) don't do any good in the long run.

If you can do this much will, you will have a brighter smile.:D see here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

mysterious wrote:
    It's not a new fact.. .

Eh its not a fact at all.:o
    [URL="javascript:AL_get(this, 'jour', 'Br Dent J.');"]Br Dent J.[/URL] 2005 Mar 12;198(5):285-90;The effect of bleaching on enamel susceptibility to acid erosion and demineralisation. (No effect)
    [URL="javascript:AL_get(this, 'jour', 'Caries Res.');"]Caries Res.[/URL] 2003 Mar-Apr;37(2):93-9.Susceptibility of enamel surfaces to demineralization after application of fluoridated carbamide peroxide gels. (no effect)
    Bleaching with carbamide peroxide or other dentist provided bleeching agents will not demineralise you teeth if carried out as instructed. The bleeching at home with the trays has been shown to be the most effective method in the long term. There "laser" bleeching systems are a bit gimicky IMHO. Yes senstivity is increased afterwards but this is temporary. Make sure your teeth are in perfect health and clean before you start (a good scale and polish). Bleech only as instructed.

Often people want bleeching but its because they have tobacco stain ( cleaning will usually do) or old fillings which have discoloured over time (white filling tend to do this unfortunatly). Fillings...crowns...bridges or implants WILL NOT BLEACH and can become noticable if the rest of your teeth change colour. Always seek a dentists opinion before you start bleeching. The concentrations of the products you get in shops is pretty low and not really that effective although I have heard ( anectodotal evidence only) that the whitening strips work quite well. I dont know where you get them from though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

mysterious wrote:
    Have a slice of cheese every now and then, it strenghtens and reminineralise your teeth.
    quote]

Again not true. The calcium content of your teeth once they have erupted when you were a kid is constant. Eating calcium containing foods will do nothing. Calcium and Phosphate ions in you saliva (very small concentrations) help remineralise you teeth however this concentration is not effected buy your diet. Infact cheese is cariogenic in that the lactose sugars in it are digestable by bacteria on you teeth and can cause tooth decay. Decay is a complex process and more dependant on frequency of sugar intake than anything else.

If you want white teeth.
    Brush and floss twice a day.
    Avoid sugary foods and fizzy acidic drinks.
    Have a cleaning by you dentist once a year at least.
    If you teeth are overlapping of crooked think about braces.
    Dont smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

mysterious wrote:
    quote]

Again not true. The calcium content of your teeth once they have erupted when you were a kid is constant. Eating calcium containing foods will do nothing. Calcium and Phosphate ions in you saliva (very small concentrations) help remineralise you teeth however this concentration is not effected buy your diet. Infact cheese is cariogenic in that the lactose sugars in it are digestable by bacteria on you teeth and can cause tooth decay. Decay is a complex process and more dependant on frequency of sugar intake than anything else.

If you want white teeth.
    Brush and floss twice a day.
    Avoid sugary foods and fizzy acidic drinks.
    Have a cleaning by you dentist once a year at least.
    If you teeth are overlapping of crooked think about braces.
    Dont smoke.

I'm still not convinced, anyway IMO I think its just a gimmick and will eventually do more damage than good in the long run, as you just said( which i already stated in my post) about getting your teeth whitened, if you look after them you will have white teeth,

when I was a kid ppl used to say how did i have so white teeth, and i kept telling them I look after them and brush twice a day, stay way from soft drinks etc and I go to the dentist twice a year.. plus the fact I don't even use whitening toothpaste. I found that they were making mt teeth more sensitvie and IMO I felt that it was speeding up the erosion of the Enamel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Many thanks Fitzgeme, cleared my mind there.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
Advertisement